Ryanair Refund!

Looking for information on a place in Andalucia or simply asking for advice on somewhere to visit? Post here and someone out there may know the answer.
vinuela vinny
Resident

Ryanair Refund!

Postby vinuela vinny » Tue Jun 07, 2016 8:21 am

Morning All

I thought that I would share an experience of Ryanair over the past few days......

We were due to return to Spain yesterday (Monday 6 June) with Ryanair, but late on Friday (3 June) it became apparent that we could not, with my wife requiring urgent surgery tomorrow (Wednesday 8 June) to re-set a badly broken arm (football with the three year old grandson! Not recommended when you are nearer seventy than sixty!)....

Being more concerned about the operation, we were philosophical about the travel implications, and it was not until Sunday that we contacted Ryanair to 'un'-check-in, and to try to re-book our outbound flights from the following day. At that stage, we were reluctant to re-book for mid June, since we were unsure about recovery time after the operation, and decided to try to book completely new flights for later next winter. We were told that we could not do so, since the new outbound flights would be after the planned return flights in August, which we did not want to forgo, since they were quite cheap.... But the Call Centre person did suggest applying for a refund instead! So we checked the online T&C's which seemed too good to be true to sceptics like us, and then we did!

Yesterday at the pre-op blood tests, the hospital gave us written confirmation of the operation, and late last night (i e after the missed flight) we completed the online form on the Ryanair website, uploaded a scan of the hospital confirmation, and sent it. This morning, the first email was from Ryanair, sympathising with our problem, and confirming a full credit of £79.98 for the missed flight costs, to be used against future flights - no fuss, no queries, no admin fee, no mention of insurance or any excess, no deductions........ The money actually was not that critical in the overall context, but the principal certainly was important......

Compare that to Abellio trains, whose £23.00 train tickets will also be refunded, but less a £10.00 admin fee and £6.45 'signed-for' postage to return the tickets, leaving a grand total of £6.55 for us to fritter away on likely all of a newspaper and a Wetherspoons breakfast!

So well done Michael O'Leary and Ryanair (with whom we have no other connection, for the benefit of the doubters) for cheering-up both of us!

Vincent

ajtg1952
Resident

Re: Ryanair Refund!

Postby ajtg1952 » Tue Jun 07, 2016 9:22 am

I don't know why you are surprised, The are the best airline in the world, and always have been. In over 1,000 flights with them I have never had a single problem and have had many refunds and flight changes; even in the days when they didn't give refunds. But there where occasions when I didn't get a refund or change, but it didn't make me say I'd never fly again. I accepted it and moved on. It's all about how you deal with them. Most people shout and then moan because nothing was done, or what happened they didn't consider fair.

Hope your wife recovers quickly. I flew home from Manchester with them a few weeks ago with Noravirus; there is nothing worse than travelling if you are not 100%.

vinuela vinny
Resident

Postby vinuela vinny » Tue Jun 07, 2016 9:31 am

Hi ajtg

Not surprised - just pleased! We're probably only on the 300 flight mark with Ryanair, and like you, have no reason to fault them, but thought that we would post a bit of good news as a gesture towards balance......

Thanks for your good wishes - we are more worried about the anesthetic than the bone resetting, but intend to allow at least ten days after the operation before flying......

Vincent

gus
Resident

Postby gus » Tue Jun 07, 2016 10:57 am

Hi ajtg, I hope you were happy with NoraVirus as a flying companion - I'm not too sure I would have been happy with her as a fellow passenger!

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Tue Jun 07, 2016 11:03 am

ajtg1952 wrote:I don't know why you are surprised, The are the best airline in the world, and always have been. In over 1,000 flights with them I have never had a single problem and have had many refunds and flight changes; even in the days when they didn't give refunds. But there where occasions when I didn't get a refund or change, but it didn't make me say I'd never fly again. I accepted it and moved on. It's all about how you deal with them. Most people shout and then moan because nothing was done, or what happened they didn't consider fair.

Hope your wife recovers quickly. I flew home from Manchester with them a few weeks ago with Noravirus; there is nothing worse than travelling if you are not 100%.
How thoughtless. You could have infected the whole plane and people who were on the next few flights.

Pamela1
Andalucia Guru

Postby Pamela1 » Tue Jun 07, 2016 3:48 pm

ajtg1952 wrote:I don't know why you are surprised, The are the best airline in the world, and always have been. In over 1,000 flights with them I have never had a single problem and have had many refunds and flight changes; even in the days when they didn't give refunds. But there where occasions when I didn't get a refund or change, but it didn't make me say I'd never fly again. I accepted it and moved on. It's all about how you deal with them. Most people shout and then moan because nothing was done, or what happened they didn't consider fair.

I wouldn't go as far as to say they are the BEST airline in the world...not with their well known record of only having enough fuel to get from A to B...No wonder they brag about having few delays...they've requested enough emergency landings due to fuel shortage to beat the queues waiting to land to annoy both traffic control and other airlines...

ajtg1952
Resident

Postby ajtg1952 » Tue Jun 07, 2016 6:56 pm

costakid wrote: How thoughtless. You could have infected the whole plane and people who were on the next few flights.
I probably did. That's life I suppose. Incidentally I did not actually know it was the Noravirus until the rest of my family in the UK came down with it. I just thought it was a bad pint.