Douglas Day Teba 2016

Looking for information on a place in Andalucia or simply asking for advice on somewhere to visit? Post here and someone out there may know the answer.
Erika
Andalucia.com Amigo

Douglas Day Teba 2016

Postby Erika » Tue Jun 21, 2016 11:35 am

I have been told that Douglas Day is on in Teba on 20 August this year, 2016. The Day that celebrates Sir James (the Black) Douglas who was killed fighting for King Alfonso XI in Teba whilst carrying the heart of Robert the Bruce to the Holy Land.

Does anyone know anything about what is planned, who is organising the activities or have any clue who I can contact to obtain more information on what is on this year?

maureenscot
Resident

Re: Douglas Day Teba 2016

Postby maureenscot » Tue Jun 21, 2016 6:05 pm

There is a museum at Teba Castle which has a video telling the story. I think he was fighting the Moors. It is a beautiful little museum. There is also a plynth in the centre of the village. The Ayuntiemento might be able to help. The guide in the museum will certainly be able to help. It was in July last year and certainly worth a visit. Most peope stay for the weekend but accommodation can get hard to find in the village if you don't book early. A lot of kilted Scottish folk attend. It is great fun. There is a big house at the bottom on the road just before you make the climb up to the village. There are quite a few beds there so might be a consideration. A couple of years ago my sister booked the whole house for her visitors. Google ' Black Duncan festa in Teba on Youtube'. It is quite difficult to find stuff on it. But the vilagers themselves have celebrated this for years even before any British came over. Sorry I cannot help more. Do you live there?

Erika
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Erika » Wed Jun 22, 2016 7:05 pm

Thanks for your help. I thought I´d just follow up with my findings in case anyone else is interested in this event.

There is information here:
www.douglasteba.com (under construction)

and here:
http://www.hisnatiba.com/actividades/Actividad_34.html (this is last year´s programme but I am assured that this year will be substantively the same.)

And if anyone is near Nerja and interested in a coach trip there is one going from the Club Internacional de Nerja.

Dates this year are 19 to 21 August.

maureenscot
Resident

Postby maureenscot » Wed Jun 22, 2016 7:31 pm

Sorry, meant to say Douglas not Duncan

Erika
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Erika » Thu Jun 23, 2016 7:52 am

Erika wrote:Thanks for your help. I thought I´d just follow up with my findings in case anyone else is interested in this event.

There is information here:
http://www.douglasteba.es (under construction)

and here:
http://www.hisnatiba.com/actividades/Actividad_34.html (this is last year´s programme but I am assured that this year will be substantively the same.)

And if anyone is near Nerja and interested in a coach trip there is one going from the Club Internacional de Nerja.

Dates this year are 19 to 21 August.

andalucia
Site Admin

Postby andalucia » Thu Jun 23, 2016 7:49 pm

maureenscot
Resident

Postby maureenscot » Thu Jun 23, 2016 9:36 pm

Thank you both. Should have consulted A.com first