Saint Martin’s Feast

Looking for information on a place in Andalucia or simply asking for advice on somewhere to visit? Post here and someone out there may know the answer.
Spain_newbie
Tourist

Saint Martin’s Feast

Postby Spain_newbie » Sun Jul 03, 2016 5:50 pm

Hello, first post from a new forum member.

I'm planning a trip to Andalucia in November from the US. On the Festivals - November guide page, there is a reference of a Saint Martin's Feast on November 11.

http://www.andalucia.com/festival/monthlyguide-nov.htm
Saint Martin’s Feast (Día de San Martín) is the traditional day in all the towns and villages of the mountain areas of Andalucia to slaughter pigs in preparation for the winter time.
Which towns and villages will have this festival? Also, are there other festivals in November not listed on that page? Thanks.

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Re: Saint Martin’s Feast

Postby costakid » Sun Jul 03, 2016 5:55 pm

It must be in the mountain villages as I have never heard of it on the coast. We are east of Malaga.

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Sun Jul 03, 2016 6:30 pm

Hi Spain_newbie,
Welcome to The Forum........... :)
If you're a bit squeamish you may not want to attend this "festival"

The men of the village hold down a pig while its throat is cut........its then hung from an A frame , a Vet will inspect the carcass, It will then be butchered, the offal will be cooked up by the ladies , while the men drink copious amounts of spirits.

The mountains will echo of Squealing pigs........ :(
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

Spain_newbie
Tourist

Postby Spain_newbie » Mon Jul 04, 2016 3:42 pm

Thanks for the warning :) Several episodes in the travel TV show Bizarre Food by Andrew Zimmern were about such "festivals". So I know what to expect :-) I'm always interested in something off the beaten path and authentic. I'll be driving through the pueblos blancos around that time. Perhaps I can bump into one.

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Tue Jul 05, 2016 9:30 am

Our neighbours opposite annually have a 'matanza' on their drive, alongside the road through the village. You can tell it is coming up as all the usual junk is cleared away and a substantial rack with steel rollers brought out. The star of the 'festival' is brought late at night and kept in a caged trailer all night, sometimes staying quiet, sometimes making unhappy noises, until very early the next day. It us then wrestled onto the rack, held down by four strong chaps and amidst piercing screams has its throat cut, the executioner lying under the rack with a bowl to catch the blood. It takes the family and friends all day and a good deal of the next to cut, pack and stew....
It is like a scene from the middle ages - but the resultant gift of a bowl of stewed pork, and a black sausage makes up for it to us somewhat! To me, romantic it is not. It is just their reward for keeping and feeding up the pig, fortunately on his land in the campo rather than in the house.
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.