It's all relative?

Looking for information on a place in Andalucia or simply asking for advice on somewhere to visit? Post here and someone out there may know the answer.
ChrisM
Andalucia.com Amigo

It's all relative?

Postby ChrisM » Tue Jul 12, 2016 6:23 pm

Friends say that their recent trip to CDS was marred by flys like they'd never encountered. A few years back when we were in Córdoba (May), I don't recall any issue, but agree that on a few trips to the CDS, there were times when I'm sure they were manic - up noses etc. Odd thing to ask on a forum, but I said I'd ask - is this a particularly troublesome thing in the CDS as compared to other parts of Spain?
Mañana

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Re: It's all relative?

Postby Enrique » Tue Jul 12, 2016 6:38 pm

Hi ChrisM,
Might just be a seasonal thing, some years back we had to sit under a mozzi net when eating outside, had "flycatches" around too.
It was only one year, this year its ok with the odd fly. None in the house either.
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

Pamela1
Andalucia Guru

Postby Pamela1 » Tue Jul 12, 2016 6:41 pm

I find they are a nuisance inland during the Summer months and at times i've brought the food inside and eaten in doors. During Oct we have often noted that they are very bad on the coast at Torremolinos, one year it was so bad that no one was seen eating outside in the numerous restaurants along the sea front..perhaps they are worse some years than other years.

lmj56
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby lmj56 » Tue Jul 12, 2016 8:11 pm

Can happen especially where there is water, lakes nearby etc..

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Tue Jul 12, 2016 10:12 pm

july and august can be bad on coast when its really hot.

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Tue Jul 12, 2016 10:52 pm

Never found flies much of a problem on the Coast. If walking the dogs up the hills in the Campo found them a pest and always wore long trousers to stop them irritating me. The worst place for me was Almeria, maybe because of the fruit growing areas. Spent a few days golfing their and it was a nightmare, couldn't sit still for a few seconds for them.

sujee
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby sujee » Wed Jul 13, 2016 7:56 am

I can't speak for the costa but inland we get a lot during June July and August. We find that geranium candles from Mercadona work well outside, when eating. Oddly, at our local venta they have a bright green pillar and we try to avoid the table next it as it seems to get more than it's fair share. This year hasn't been too bad... so far!

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Wed Jul 13, 2016 8:49 am

Eastern CDS seems to be bad when really hot if your in the streets behind the beach in the shade. On the beach is ok and in the sun but we use a little bar that our friend owns and they always seem to have lots of flies in July. We sit outside on the terrace under a brolly to avoid.

Pamela1
Andalucia Guru

Postby Pamela1 » Wed Jul 13, 2016 8:52 am

sujee wrote:I can't speak for the costa but inland we get a lot during June July and August. We find that geranium candles from Mercadona work well outside, when eating. Oddly, at our local venta they have a bright green pillar and we try to avoid the table next it as it seems to get more than it's fair share. This year hasn't been too bad... so far!
That's what i will buy..thank you for that.. :)

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Wed Jul 13, 2016 9:47 am

A hat with corks hanging from the rim, that's yer answer, mate!
Yes, lots of flies this summer, but it's the pigeons cr4pping on my terrace that gets me. The little (invasive?) green Argentinian parakeets are doing nothing to reduce the seemingly surging numbers of pigeons. Presumably they don't compete for the same food sources, & neither rely on flies as their main staple, sadly!
Don't worry about what people think, they don't do it very often

"Acquiring a dog may be the only opportunity a human ever has to choose a relative," Mordecai Siegal 1935-2010.

wollie
Resident

Postby wollie » Wed Jul 13, 2016 10:30 am

I spent a few nights on Atlantic side (Conil) a few weeks ago... I got at least 10 mosquito bites and I could not understand as weather was sunny and though not windy bright and fresh...
The hotel I used was clean but I wonder if mosquitos would live indoors?

One tip a nurse told me is if you spray that horrible fly killer in a room every bug in the room be dead in 5mins..

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Wed Jul 13, 2016 11:51 am

Flies seem to be more-or-less as normal here. However, if you are ever walking in shady woods in July or August and are even a little bit perspiring (and you would be) swarms and swarms of flies come from nowhere and cover you. It's repulsive. They disappear as soon as you hit patches of sunlight and then they come back once you are in shade again. It's beyond horrid.