Canillas de Aceituno

Looking for information on a place in Andalucia or simply asking for advice on somewhere to visit? Post here and someone out there may know the answer.
Mrscb

Canillas de Aceituno

Postby Mrscb » Mon Aug 15, 2016 7:31 pm

Hi all,from a newbie.
We have rented a villa in Canillas de Aceituno and just wondered what the village is like for shops, bars etc. The villa is 30 mins walk away.. We will have a hire car which we will use for the big shop at Mercadona but like the idea of walking to the village for fresh items.
We like to stay in rural places as our idea of a holiday is relaxing with peace and quiet( maybe goats and dogs!)having bbqs etc.. Not in a busy hotel with meal times to adhere to.
We do have to cope with some scary drives .. Is it a bad one to get here, I normally close my eyes.. (I'm not the driver).. We will be coming from Torre del Mar area as know where the Mercadona is.
Thank you

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Re: Canillas de Aceituno

Postby gerryh » Mon Aug 15, 2016 7:50 pm

Welcome to the forum :wave:
I'm sure one of our members IreneD will post soon with all the low down on Canillas de Aceituno as she lives there.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Mon Aug 15, 2016 8:49 pm

Welcome, its a nice enough area. The drive up from the coast is fine. Enjoy your time in sunny Spain.

IreneD
Andalucia Guru

Postby IreneD » Mon Aug 15, 2016 9:16 pm

Welcome to the forum, Mrscb. I do indeed live in Canillas de Aceituno, you have chosen a lovely area for your holiday.

There are 3 very nice restaurants, several bars, (some serve food - Popi's the swimming pool bar, would be my choice for a light meal), a bakers, a butchers, a fishmonger, a supermarket and a few other small shops selling fruit and veg. There is also a doctor and dentist in the town.

I'm told some of the campo tracks are bad at the moment but as you are within walking distance, hopefully that won't be a problem for you, maybe the villa you are renting is on a tarmacked road? The road down the mountain is a good road, no problem there, it takes about 10 minutes to drive down to the main road, then another 10 - 15 minutes to get to Torre del Mar.

If you have any more questions, happy to help :)

Here is some more info on the town https://eastofmalaga.net/2014/07/30/one ... -aceituno/

Pamela1
Andalucia Guru

Postby Pamela1 » Mon Aug 15, 2016 9:17 pm

Good for you...such a nice area...

Mrscb

Postby Mrscb » Tue Aug 16, 2016 11:58 am

Thank You.
I've been on Google Earth having a look .. Is the pool at the opposite end of the village to the football pitch?
If there parking in the village itself as my son has mobility problems and can't do long distances.
We are there for a week and then going to a different villa outside Frigiliana for a week.

IreneD
Andalucia Guru

Postby IreneD » Tue Aug 16, 2016 12:58 pm

Yes, that's right - and there is parking at the pool. Take the right turn down to the pool (just past the roundabout) and the parking is on the right, so just a few steps to the pool. It costs 2 euros 50 per person. It is open 11 till 2pm and 3 till 8 pm. There is a very nice bar there which serves good, reasonably priced food. Hopefully you are coming very soon as the pool normally closes the first week in September - the bar stays open all year round.

There is also parking in Canillas, there is a below ground car park on the right as you come into the village, you will pass the school on the left, the car park is just past it, on a bend. There is a nice area to sit and look at the views above this car park. If you drive further on, you will see La Maroma restaurant on the left and there is also a public car park there. Parking is free in both car parks. Avoid Friday mornings for the car park by La Maroma, as the market sets up in the car park. It is possible to park on some of the streets but I would advise choosing a car park, as the legality is possibly an issue :)

Edit re roundabouts!: There are two roundabouts, linking the bypass, the first one is just past the football ground as you come in, take the right fork at the first roundabout to travel along the bypass if you are going to the pool - straight on if you are coming into the village. Assuming you are coming up the mountain from the main road. Hope that makes sense, another look at Google Earth will no doubt make it clearer.

kerbut
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby kerbut » Tue Aug 16, 2016 7:55 pm

Lovely small town , we bank at Santander there with the charming (English spoken Belin as manager ) , when we go to the bank we park in the parking by Paco,s La Maroma restaurant and have a coffee on the terrace (free wifi ! )
kerbut

maureenscot
Resident

Postby maureenscot » Wed Aug 17, 2016 2:39 pm

Beautiful looking village.

Mrscb

Postby Mrscb » Wed Aug 17, 2016 8:35 pm

Will definetely try the pool.. We are staying at the football pitch side of the village .
Do the restaurants have menu del dia.. I know a lot of places don't advertise them well.
We are coming next week.. Can't wait :-)

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Wed Aug 17, 2016 8:44 pm

Hi Mrscb,
Just ask for Menu when you get to Restaurant/Bar. Its usually Mondays - Friday but not on a Holiday day.
Price guide 7 - 10€

Sounds a nice Holiday destination too........... 8)
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

IreneD
Andalucia Guru

Postby IreneD » Wed Aug 17, 2016 11:18 pm

I don't think the restaurants here do have a menu del dia. I was told yesterday that if you order via this website, you can get 30% discount in the Bodegon de Juan Maria. https://www.eltenedor.es/restaurante/bo ... aria/39684

kerbut
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby kerbut » Fri Aug 19, 2016 1:30 pm

La Maroma used to do a lunchtime menu ,dont know if they still do but alot of workmen turn up at lunchtime.
kerbut