Malaga car hire.

Looking for information on a place in Andalucia or simply asking for advice on somewhere to visit? Post here and someone out there may know the answer.
markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Re: Malaga car hire.

Postby markwilding » Mon Aug 06, 2018 1:08 pm

Thanks for that,
The cost of car hire is very low. From 5-10 Euros per day so although I know I'm already covered, the problem for me is the excess charges which can be as much as a thousand Euros. 6 plus 20 Euros per day still offers good value and no need to give them my credit card.

ashtondav
Resident

Postby ashtondav » Mon Aug 06, 2018 4:29 pm

They don't "charge" your card for £1,000 for the excess. They "block" that amount so it can be charged if necessary, and there is no risk of you exceeding your credit limit. For example if your credit limit was £1,500 and they block £1,000 you would only be able to spend £500 during your holiday. There are no transaction costs or currency conversion risks with "blocking" an amount on a card.

They have your credit card details anyway from the hire and the excess (if you buy it.)

wollie
Resident

Postby wollie » Thu Nov 22, 2018 1:27 pm

I returned a car to malagacar.com last week.
The lady said that there was scratches on the car, i have never being questioned about anything with Malagacar before and i have hired with them
30+ times, i did not have the original document for some unexplained reason it was not in the car, she did mention that it seemed unusual that the one time there was a query i could not produce this which to be fair was a valid comment. However when she checked on the system she discovered that the scratches were there when i collected.
She did say during our conversation that i could take pictures of the car on collection, i said if i had to go to that trouble collecting a car i would buy a
car. The idea of taking pictures of a car in the dark at night in malaga does not appeal to me after already 8 hours already traveling and still a bit to do.
There is a possibility they are trying to create revenue at the end of the season?

Just thought i say here...

maureenscot
Resident

Postby maureenscot » Thu Nov 22, 2018 3:09 pm

Yes they are all crooks and the more folk relay this to consumer services the better. It is becoming a real cause for concern and needs to be stopped

maureenscot
Resident

Postby maureenscot » Thu Nov 22, 2018 3:11 pm

Also nobody should have to suffer having £1000 to £1500 blocked from their personal bank cards. It means that these companies are treating us all as cheats when it should be the other way round. And there is no come back

wollie
Resident

Postby wollie » Thu Nov 22, 2018 11:28 pm

personally i do not have a problem with money being blocked as we can buy insurance, we cannot be expected to examine a car for minor scratches especially at night after getting off a flight.
overall i am not unhappy but wondered if anyone else had this problem in recent weeks...

maureenscot
Resident

Postby maureenscot » Fri Nov 23, 2018 7:05 pm

There is loads on this this and other threads.

wollie
Resident

Postby wollie » Fri Nov 23, 2018 7:38 pm

There is loads of stuff everywhere? this thread is about Malaga Car Hire? if you not interested it may be you should look at the previous stuff and not bother engaging in this.
I was asking if people experienced what i did for first time last week???
You can read all of previous stuff i am too busy, i will have a look at what you suggest...

Regards...

Stevemul
Resident

Postby Stevemul » Mon Jan 28, 2019 4:57 pm

Stevemul wrote:As I've advised in a number of previous posts here, please do not use Delpaso. You will be asking for trouble. The whole of the staff are involved in a scam to relieve customers of credit card payments as deposits. The management MUST be involved also as there must be a payout to the staff from credit card payments made to the Company account.
I have no qualms about making this accusation as I have proof from my experience with photos and documents.
The following article today brought back memories of a previous thread and my contributions to the topic. Scams not confined to Spain or Malaga car hire!

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/car- ... 50411.html

chrissiehope
Andalucia Guru

Postby chrissiehope » Mon Jan 28, 2019 11:30 pm

I had the same problem with DelPaso some years ago too, luckily the annual excess insurance paid up without a quibble :-)
Alexandr for President (Squire for PM !)

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend.
Inside of a dog it's too dark to read (Groucho Marx)

ashtondav
Resident

Postby ashtondav » Tue Feb 05, 2019 3:04 pm

Well this should be a screaming laugh and a half!

I’ve just booked a 7 day hire with interrent through doyouspain at €1.69 FOR THE WEEK!!! You really can’t believe these idiots, can you.

Can’t wait to tell ‘em I’ve got excess insurance, but I bet they don’t let me have a car unless I take their insurance.

What an argument it will be as I will certainly ask for the complaints book. Watch this space, i’ll Report back end March....

Stevemul
Resident

Postby Stevemul » Tue Feb 05, 2019 3:14 pm

I got a similar deal a while ago. All they said was could I please pay cash as it would cost more to put it through a c card!

Pamela1
Andalucia Guru

Postby Pamela1 » Tue Feb 05, 2019 8:31 pm

I've usually found when it's that cheap they have got something from you on the fuel, whether it be a refill service cost or pay their rates for a full tank etc. ..the usual rip off's.

ebyard
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby ebyard » Sun Feb 10, 2019 5:21 pm

Hi All

I rent cars often from Malaga, and I can give you some advice.

1. Buy yourself an excess protection policy (use confused.com for price comparison) - it is MUCH cheaper than the excess protection the car hire firm will try and flog you. I think I paid £30 for a year, and Interrent wanted £150 for the week !

2. TAKE PICTURES - do it, no matter what. Take pics of everything. Then you have some evidence (read on..) if things go wrong.

3. Using your credit card to block the 1000 or so Euros is normal. Use a UK registered card.

4. Only use the more reputable brands - at least Interrent and Goldcar are owned by Europcar. The malagacar and various other ones are total scammers.

Interrent Specific:

1. They WILL try and put "Smart Return" on your contract - so say "no smart return" when you pick it up. In short, Smart Return is an admin charge - about 21 Euros - they apply that lets you bring the car back part-empty and they will then only charge you for the fuel missing (at normal rates, not extortionate refuel rates). Just refuel before returning as normal.

If they do this anyway, ring your credit card company and dispute the transaction, and it will be refunded immediately.

2. They will charge you "airport tax" which may already be paid, but as it is usually a few Euros I never bother disputing it, despite me having a confirmation from Expedia that says only a few cents are due. Not sure why this happens.

3. The cars are almost all knackered - Interrent are the hand-me-downs from Europcar (parent company) and Goldcar. They are roadworthy - just. I've had a few with dodgy brakes and knackered clutches.

4. If getting a diesel car, remember that you have to pay the "diesel tax" which for a week is about 20 Euros. Diesel is cheaper but most people won't recoup the tax back in cheaper fuel unless you drive a few thousand miles!

Finally, if your card gets charged for something you dispute, the RING YOUR BANK and dispute the transaction, immediately!!!

Cheers
Ed

Johnandali
Tourist

Postby Johnandali » Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:39 pm

Hire cars from Helle Hollis on average 7 times a year at Malaga Airport since 2011 - never had a single issue and they provide brilliant customer service....record is under 30 minutes from landing to driving out of airport........I do not even search anywhere else......

Stevemul
Resident

Postby Stevemul » Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:45 pm

It’s important to distinguish between the minor “scams” such as
full/empty fuel policies and the downright scurrilous antics such as those practised by Delpaso. Most companies are just trying to maximise income

Edited to delete potentially libellous comment. Sid

maureenscot
Resident

Postby maureenscot » Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:29 pm

Agree about Delpaso. Also aggressive

1bassleft
Resident

Postby 1bassleft » Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:34 am

On the subject of taking pics, my personal favourite was Firefly. After the Soviet-era queuing, I drove away knacked in the small hours. Throughout the fortnight, I put up with virtually unlistenable radio because the aerial had been removed (I noticed several hire cars on the CdS, Firefly and others, had no aerials). Dropped the car back, 2hrs before my flight, and was told there was no aerial. I know, blimmin' annoying but I'll let you off. Pretend taps on keyboard. "No record of the aerial being previously missing" (not quite the same statement as "Your car definitely had an aerial when you collected it").

How much do you want? I've got a plane to catch (much to my son's disgust at folding so easily). €18.50, but no cash, thanks, must go on your credit card. Arrived back in the UK to find €18.50 deducted, plus "collision administration fee" and - just to really annoy me, "credit card processing fee". Total added up to over €80 on top of the fortnight's hire. Used Alamo/Enterprise thereafter (more expensive but excellent) until I thankfully come out here enough to justify buying my own car outright.

gruff
Resident

Postby gruff » Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:46 am

I'm not sure where Ed is coming from. On the one hand he is giving some good advice. On another hand he is saying most rental companies are scammers and stick to "well known" brands like Europcar and their subsidiaries. Then he goes on to rubbish Interrant, apparently a Europcar subsidiary. Perhaps he could tell us who he normally uses and why?

Roz
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Roz » Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:02 pm

I have had problems with Goldcar and Go Record but never eever with MalagaCar!