Malaga car hire.

Looking for information on a place in Andalucia or simply asking for advice on somewhere to visit? Post here and someone out there may know the answer.
Paulinmalaga
Resident

Re: Malaga car hire.

Postby Paulinmalaga » Mon Jul 31, 2017 11:45 pm

I So Bella tis you

maureenscot
Resident

Postby maureenscot » Tue Aug 01, 2017 9:29 am

Thanks Paul. It is atrocious but we all have no choice but to comply. Wonder if this will ever be resolved. We have now decided to start taking holidays nearer to airports and public transport because we are so sickened by this rip-off

ashtondav
Resident

Postby ashtondav » Sun Aug 13, 2017 11:04 am

Another horror story confirming that Goldcar try to steal money from their unfortunate customers. Charging for non existant issues is almost institutionalised at this company. I can imagine the training that staff receive!

Will they change now they are to be taken over by the slightly more respectable Europcar - or will their proven policy of ripping off all customers continue.

https://www.theguardian.com/money/2017/ ... l-cleaning

Flashman
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Flashman » Mon Sep 11, 2017 12:50 pm

just returned from another trip using RecordGo, all gone very smoothly. I really appreciate the same day email confirming the return of the full tank of petrol charge (if returned full) and the 'release' of the 1100euro(!) deposit for the possible accidental damage (I always take my own insurance out). otherwise all very easy and efficient

I've probably jinxed myself now for the next trip!

maureenscot
Resident

Postby maureenscot » Mon Sep 11, 2017 6:35 pm

haha. Very good. But it does stick in the crow a bit that these companies take so much money on hold

gus
Resident

Postby gus » Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:35 am

I'm not sure that I see the " hold" as a real problem. If the customer is not going to play ball and take (and pay for) full insurance cover then the rental firm have to guarantee that any damage is covered in full. They need to ensure that they have ready access to funds to cover the excess.
In my experience , the "hold" is just that. No money changes hands and there is no issue with exchange rates. I'd rather have that and my own, annual, carhire insurance than pay the daily rate for excess cover. I have only had to make a claim once and it was settled within 7 days!

ashtondav
Resident

Postby ashtondav » Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:58 am

Agreed Gus. 1,000€ to 1,500€ "blocked" not charged to the card is reasonable.

But the Daily Wail reports some of the Malaga firms are actually charging it to the card, leaving the punter at exchange rate fluctuation risk. And some are charging nearer 4,000€, in an effort to breach the punter's credit limit and force a purchase.

And Marbesol told me on my last hire that if I refused their CDW insurance I would not have any breakdown cover on motorways. A quick request for their complaints book soon had the manager retract this lie. The most basic policies in Spain provide breakdown cover.

maureenscot
Resident

Postby maureenscot » Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:13 pm

Exactly Ashtondave. Also there have been complaints from families who had not rented in a while being left without spending money. There are multiple cons going on with some of these firms

gus
Resident

Postby gus » Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:07 pm

Like always, the first piece of advice I can give is to "read the terms and conditions"!
The second bit of advice is "read them again".
It is extremely rare for the information not to be available, even if it is in "small" print.
I have been caught out on my forthcoming hire by failing to notice a "surcharge" for on-airport collection :-( but since the amount is going to be less than 5 € I am not cancelling!

If anything untoward happens with this hire, I'll report back.

gus
Resident

Postby gus » Wed Oct 25, 2017 7:08 pm

Well, that’s me back again with another successful car hire. No problems to report.
Rhodium (first time I’ve used them) booked through DYS at a cost of €17.07 for 3 days. €1.33 tax charge and I didn’t get charged the €5 airport surcharge I expected.
€1200 held against my credit card and charged for a tank of fuel.
I returned the car full and insisted on the car being checked rather than dropping the keys as suggested (I was in no hurry since I wasn’t catching a flight). After 10 minutes the car had beeb checked and I was told all ok.
Fuel refund was completed within 3 days and the hold on my credit card disappeared a week later.
All in all I was very happy :)

I have now made another booking through DYS , this time with DelPaso, for February . 16 days , Renault Clio 5 door, total cost €18.50. I’ll take my photos as usual :)

kerbut
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby kerbut » Wed Oct 25, 2017 7:41 pm

Good luck with Delpaso , watch your credit card (mine got cloned there ) and read Trip Advisor about them .
kerbut

gus
Resident

Postby gus » Thu Oct 26, 2017 11:20 am

Thanks Kerbut.
I’ve used DelPaso , and most of the other firms, several times over the years and managed, so far, to avoid the problems others complain about.
Lucky?? Or just careful?

Pamela1
Andalucia Guru

Postby Pamela1 » Thu Oct 26, 2017 12:35 pm

Perhaps both Gus, i've used DelPaso too on several occasions, we got tired of having to wait to be picked up at Malaga airport, on both occasions we had to ring them, on one occasion they didn't arrive until half an hour later... For some reason i never felt quite comfortable with their set out and after reading how kerbut had his card cloned some time ago i have avoided them. Having said that its difficult to know who to trust sometimes because all of the car companies will have some bad reviews and i think Gus hit the nail on the head " read the terms and conditions" and read them again! take photos and another tip is to drive the car around the carpark checking the gears, breaks, indicators/ lights etc and if you are not happy then tell them and ask for another car...

Manchesteral
Resident

Postby Manchesteral » Sat Oct 28, 2017 4:34 pm

I have over the years, repeatedly sang the praises of Royal car hire, based in Calahonda, they will deliver to the airport,and pick up when you've done, full full fuel policy.
They are a family firm and because they are competing with bigger fish they will always go the extra mile !

scotty
Resident

Postby scotty » Sat Oct 28, 2017 8:59 pm

It really comes down to paying peanuts and getting monkeys. Helle Hollis are not cheap, but their cars are all great. . . . they don't mess you around and if you have a problem during the rental they will sort it out. Yet we all (me included) rent from "others" and then complain when we pay €10 a week and they try to stiff you with a hidden charge.

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Sat Oct 28, 2017 10:13 pm

Family have just rented from Wifi car hire - 4 days for £90 incl fuel etc, nice clean car, nice people. This could just be the Murcia office but they do operate on the Costa del Sol, so may be worth checking out?
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

Capitan-Roberto
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Capitan-Roberto » Tue Oct 31, 2017 1:12 pm

Manchesteral wrote:I have over the years, repeatedly sang the praises of Royal car hire, based in Calahonda, they will deliver to the airport,and pick up when you've done, full full fuel policy.
They are a family firm and because they are competing with bigger fish they will always go the extra mile !
Can you post contact details, if not breaking forum rules. Tried searching for them and got either a website selling insurance, or a property rental site that links to Malagacar.com (perhaps this is it?)
Thanks

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Tue Oct 31, 2017 1:44 pm

Hi,
A quick search throws up.............If you search A.com for Royal Car Hire ....Members have mentioned it over the years......... :idea:

Alquiler de Automóviles - Dirección: El Zoco 20, (29649) Mijas Costa, Málaga - Teléfono: 9529327..
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

ashtondav
Resident

Postby ashtondav » Tue Oct 31, 2017 3:06 pm

Does anyone know where I can get a long term rental at the same rates as a weekly rental. I am looking to rent for two months. While I can get rates as low as 3€ to 10€ a day for a weekly rental the lowest I can get for 2 months is 900€ to 1,000€, or over 15€ a day, which makes it cheaper to get the ferry to Santander and drive down.

I guess one solution is to do multiple rents of two weeks, but that's not convenient really.

LITTLEMO
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby LITTLEMO » Tue Oct 31, 2017 4:26 pm

I used malagacar.com for a 5 week rental last year for about £250. If you email them they will send a quote.