Cadiz / Puerto de Santa Maria

Looking for information on a place in Andalucia or simply asking for advice on somewhere to visit? Post here and someone out there may know the answer.
gus
Resident

Cadiz / Puerto de Santa Maria

Postby gus » Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:51 pm

I'm thinking of driving down to take a look at Cadiz when I come out in a couple of weeks.
Cadiz looks a bit pricy for hotels and parking - is it sensible to stay in Puerto and catch the ferry back and forward.

scotty
Resident

Re: Cadiz / Puerto de Santa Maria

Postby scotty » Wed Apr 26, 2017 3:35 pm

I stayed in Cadiz two years ago. We stayed in Hostal Colon http://www.hostalcolon.es/en/ which was clean . . basic & friendly. Cant comment on parking prices as we were on motorbikes. The guy I was with owns several restaurants and a Spanish wine producer had told us that we had to go to El Faro Tapas bar. The place was hopping (busy) full of Spanish. We ordered a bottle of wine & stood at the bar. They just kept the food coming. If we had wanted they had a very fancy restaurant the had the King of Spain amongst it's clients.http://www.elfarodecadiz.com/ So dont miss it even for a drink.

gus
Resident

Postby gus » Wed Apr 26, 2017 4:35 pm

Thanks Scotty.
I found Casa del Regidor in Puerto which seems ideal for our requirements, anyone else have any comments.
We will enjoy a few bars/ tapas during the day and a good meal ( or more tapas ) in the evening.
A visit to one of the wineries will be a must!!

fincalospinos
Resident

Postby fincalospinos » Wed Apr 26, 2017 6:38 pm

We stayed at the Alquimia Albergue-Hotel, a lovely historic building in the old part of Cadiz. Very comfortable rooms, not expensive, and with handy on street parking for only 3 Euros per day within 100 mtrs of the hotel.
Hardworking resident !!

gus
Resident

Postby gus » Wed Apr 26, 2017 7:00 pm

Certainly looks quirky :-)

swerve
Resident

Postby swerve » Thu Apr 27, 2017 8:51 pm

We loved cadiz and also stayed in puerto de Santa Marie and got the ferry to cadiz. There's some walks around the town that are marked by different coloured lines. Enjoy.
It always seems imposible until its done. Nelson Mandela

Free at Last
Resident

Postby Free at Last » Fri Apr 28, 2017 12:52 pm

When we visited Cadiz we stayed at the Hotel Argantonio, not cheap but w a very nice, beautifully restored historic building in a very central but quiet location. We found it easy to travel between Cadiz and El Puerto de Santa Maria, we did it by ferry one way and by train the other, as both Cadiz and El Puerto de Santa Maria are on the railway line between Sevilla and Cadiz (as is Jérez de la Frontera, so El Puerto de Santa Maria is a good base because you have the option to spend time in all 3 places which are within easy travelling distance of each other, without having to worry about finding parking).

maureenscot
Resident

Postby maureenscot » Fri Apr 28, 2017 6:33 pm

Thank you for that info Freeatlast