Has Mijas bullfighting season started?

Looking for information on a place in Andalucia or simply asking for advice on somewhere to visit? Post here and someone out there may know the answer.
costacab
Andalucia.com Amigo

Has Mijas bullfighting season started?

Postby costacab » Sat Apr 29, 2017 8:48 pm

Does anyone know if there is bullfighting in Mijas this Sunday? Can't find anything on line and some visitors want to experience it.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Re: Has Mijas bullfighting season started?

Postby El Cid » Sat Apr 29, 2017 10:13 pm

I don't know what their season is, but I would not bother if I were you. Leaving aside what people think about the ethics of bullfighting, don't waste it your time at a place like Mijas. All you will see is a third rate event with third rate matadors and third rate bulls and it will not be enjoyable. You would be better going to the racecourse.

If you want to experience the real thing only go to the major events in the cities which occur only during major fiestas such as Málaga in August and Granada in June which normally last a week with the most famous bullfighters in Spain. Even then you will be lucky if you see a classic performance and it will cost you much more than a ticket to a UK premiership match.

Fewer people in Spain now support it and those that do will spend good money on it but they would not be seen dead at one of the sad tourist traps such as Mijas.

Sid

wollie
Resident

Postby wollie » Sun Apr 30, 2017 8:50 am

Where can i find a calender for bullfighting anywhere?
I have absolutely no interest in the actual bullfighting but like to see the
activity around this on the day its on.
My own personal view is when in Rome?

I think i seen on the news when last over that there seems to be a shift
away from the total ban but someone here likely can tell us where this is at?

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:22 am

Malaga is the best by far in this area. I went to Nerja in the 70s and Malaga around 5 years ago. I would never go again.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sun Apr 30, 2017 11:23 am

wollie wrote:
I think i seen on the news when last over that there seems to be a shift
away from the total ban but someone here likely can tell us where this is at?
The 2017 calendar is here https://www.servitoro.com/calendario-taurino#month6

There are a lot of people trying to get bullfighting banned, but they are fighting a losing battle. They tried banning it in Catalonia (more to flex their political muscle than anything to do with cruelty) but the Constitutional Court has just overturned the ban on the basis that bullfighting is part of Spain's cultural heritage - it is not classified as a sport, it is classified as a cultural event. It is worth pointing out that it is not a regular events as 90% of all Corridas are an integral part of a local fiesta. The Malage feria is in August and has about 8 days of bullfights and will be well attended.

Andalucia is the heartland of bullfighting and a large percentage of the bulls are bred locally so there is considerable vested interest in keeping it going. If you really do want to see a bullfight locally, either go to Malag in August or better still, to Ronda in September for the Goya Festival - that is a spectacular event with everyone dressed up in period costumes - but book early and you will need a deep pocket for a ticket.

http://www.turismoderonda.es/es/patrimo ... dro-romero

Sid

truebrit
Resident

Postby truebrit » Sun Apr 30, 2017 12:05 pm

There is a petition out at the moment to ban the fight in Velez Malaga in June. Last time they protested, 2 people turned up!

wollie
Resident

Postby wollie » Sun Apr 30, 2017 12:28 pm

Sid,

Thanks for that i will find something that fits in, i think i may go for Jerez.
I have no interest in attending as i like to see the profile of the people that
fallow this and the activities associated with same.

Regards.