Malaga Airport

Looking for information on a place in Andalucia or simply asking for advice on somewhere to visit? Post here and someone out there may know the answer.
Evelyn
Andalucia.com Amigo

Malaga Airport

Postby Evelyn » Fri Jul 21, 2017 7:28 pm

Has anyone used Special Assistance when travelling from Malaga to Gatwick.? I have asked for it when booking with Easyjet just wondered if anyone had experienced it first hand.

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Re: Malaga Airport

Postby costakid » Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:11 pm

I haven’t because i don’t need it but they always seem to be on the ball and very friendly.

littleeak
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby littleeak » Tue Jul 25, 2017 12:29 pm

Not had experience of assistance at Gatwick Airport but have used the service between Málaga and Birmingham with my Dad. Professional service at both airports. The person who requested assistance, along with a person travelling with them, is fast tracked through security to the boarding gate. If required on boarding they are helped to their seat. Once landed they are accompanied through baggage collection to their car or taxi.

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Tue Jul 25, 2017 2:10 pm

It is generally pretty good but they do foul up regularly. Just some examples.

You arrive and let them know who you are and the flight number and they say great , wait here. Eventually someone arrives and the plane is late on take off as a result. Quite embarrassing for the individual struggling half way down the full plane to their seat. No space in overhead lockers of course so best to book your hand luggage in keeping essentials to hand.

Expect to be last off which is fair enough. Sometimes you are first on.

It can be tricky ,if just you, getting the person from drop off to assistance assembly point if you have a trolley of luggage and maybe a wheelchair.

If you have specified "can't walk up stairs" or perhaps down as well, if the flight doesn't have an air bridge ( level access covered gangway) then they use a powered device - a platform that is raised or lowered . Assuming the info was actually passed on or it isn't broken. The fall back is a two person "firemans lift " on the stairs. Haven't had to use one at Malaga and don't know if Gatwick has all airbridges.

Overall generally a good experience but prone to the occasional foul ups based on dozens of flights.

On the plus side don't be afraid to take aids with you - for example zimmer frame, a walker, electric scooter, walking sticks. The airport/airlines are very good at transporting your kit over and above your baggage allowance.

ashtondav
Resident

Postby ashtondav » Tue Jul 25, 2017 2:59 pm

Never had a problem with my mum, who doesn't need help up the stairs but does need wheelchair to the gate.

Just go to the disability area in Malaga T2, sign in and that's it - fast track thro security, check in and passport control and straight to the gate. The only problem we've then had is ezy not allowing me on at the same time as mum - but it really works great.