Passport control queues

Looking for information on a place in Andalucia or simply asking for advice on somewhere to visit? Post here and someone out there may know the answer.
Alcala Barry
Andalucia.com Amigo

Re: Passport control queues

Postby Alcala Barry » Fri Aug 04, 2017 3:26 pm

gerryh

You have hit the nail on the head.

ashtondav
Resident

Postby ashtondav » Fri Aug 04, 2017 3:57 pm

wollie wrote:If this was asked before i am sorry.
I only ever seen one queue at security and passport control at any of the Airports i travel to and from.
Therefore why is there a difference if travelling to Schengan or not, is it monitored some other way?
Simple wollie. Traveling from one schengan country ( i.e. Spain) to another (i.e. France) there are no passport control booths at all. You dont even see passport control officers.

It is only when travelling between non schengan countries (i.e. UK) and schengan countries (i.e. Spain ) that there is PC. If you fly into Spain from France you dont encounter PC, you just go straight through to the baggage hall.

Therefore schengan to schengan there is never a queue at PC - because there ain't no PC!

I travelled from France to Italy and on to Spain a few weeks ago. I was never asked to show a passport, even though I'm a Brit!

It's the same if you drive. There is no border control or checkpoints between France and Spain ( on most routes), just a sign on the motorway welcoming you to France.

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Fri Aug 04, 2017 4:07 pm

Perhaps I'm missing something but at Malaga airport gates B and C there is a passport control at the entrance to gates B and C. Some of the flights go to the UK, non schengan, and others go to other, schengan, counties.
So doesn't the whole queue move at the same speed?
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

wollie
Resident

Postby wollie » Fri Aug 04, 2017 5:34 pm

costakid wrote:I left Malaga yesterday for the UK via gate B and the passport queue was 30 seconds. No major queues at gates c either. Not sure what the papers and news are talking about. I am back into Spain on Monday so it will be interesting to see what thats like.
could be a case of "thank god he's goin"

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Fri Aug 04, 2017 7:56 pm

But only for 5 days. HA HA

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Sat Aug 05, 2017 10:44 am

gerryh wrote:Perhaps I'm missing something but at Malaga airport gates B and C there is a passport control at the entrance to gates B and C. Some of the flights go to the UK, non schengan, and others go to other, schengan, counties.
So doesn't the whole queue move at the same speed?
Cheers
Gerry
Could it be that Ryanair and Easyjet use those gates B & C even if the flight is to a Schengan country? All of our Vueling internal/EU flights have been from the new terminal where there is no passport control.

ajtg1952
Resident

Postby ajtg1952 » Sat Aug 05, 2017 11:04 am

The problem that hasn't been addressed is that with UK flights the gate number is not displayed until 45 minutes before departure. Any delay at Passport Control eats into this.
20 people missed the Ryanair Liverpool flight a week past Friday.

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Sat Aug 05, 2017 11:46 am

I know that Bilbao is a smaller airport than Malaga but if you travel regularly to he UK, you soon learn which gates are non-Schengan.

It certainly blows out of the water the lie that is constantly told that their is no passport control between EU countries and the UK.

However, There is a difference between leaving Spain where there is a passport check and when leaving the UK where there isn't.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Sat Aug 05, 2017 12:00 pm

ajtg1952 wrote:The problem that hasn't been addressed is that with UK flights the gate number is not displayed until 45 minutes before departure. Any delay at Passport Control eats into this.
20 people missed the Ryanair Liverpool flight a week past Friday.
They had started to release the gate number much earlier when these delays started in May. Our gate was announced about 1 hour 45 mins beforehand to give people time to get to the correct queue. I think all Ryanair flights go from B. The only problem was that they then kept changing the gate number (although all still B gates) but it meant a 100m dash to keep our place in the front of the queue .... haha!

chrissiehope
Andalucia Guru

Postby chrissiehope » Sat Aug 05, 2017 1:18 pm

Airlines already know at check-in which gate the flight is departing from - if you're on wheelchair assistance, they take you straight there ;-)
Alexandr for President (Squire for PM !)

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend.
Inside of a dog it's too dark to read (Groucho Marx)

Free at Last
Resident

Postby Free at Last » Sat Aug 05, 2017 3:11 pm

But the departure gates can be subject to change after you have checked in. Last year, during the chaos caused by various problems with the Vueling airline, we had the gate for our flight from Málaga to Palma changed five times during a two and a half hour delay.

On the subject of the current problems, friends of ours flew into Málaga from the UK yesterday evening, arriving at 8.30 pm, and experienced no delays a all at passport control.

truebrit
Resident

Postby truebrit » Sun Aug 06, 2017 11:42 am

Just had email from my daughter from Gatwick airport coming here to Spain. No delays, whizzed through security and passport control . Similarly i had a message from a friend flying out of Malaga, today. No delays.

Paulinmalaga
Resident

Postby Paulinmalaga » Sun Aug 06, 2017 12:34 pm

I So Bella tis you

Alcala Barry
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Alcala Barry » Sun Aug 06, 2017 1:18 pm

Daily Mail 'journalism'

Fascinating item that.
The journalist states (in the same item) the following:

'Meanwhile at Malaga, families said bored-looking officers did not examine their passports.'

'Today long queues were seen at Malaga Airport, with long lines of holidaymakers waiting to check in ahead of their flights.
It follows warnings for tourists to make sure they arrive at airports early.'
Am I missing some thing here?

Regarding passport info. Our airlines already hold our passport info - mandatory to supply that. Surely the Arrival into Spain from non-Schengen countries (UK etc) is of far greater importance. Our departure from Spain is not.
I assume that is why leaving the UK (passport wise) is a bit of a non-event, as opposed to arrival into the UK which is, understandably, a far more serious event.

AB

wembason420
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby wembason420 » Sun Aug 06, 2017 1:31 pm

I read it as 2 separate articles both with different headlines, written by totally different Journalists. One saying they were being waved through upon ENTERING SPAIN the other saying queues at check inn upon Leaving due to the strikes

Alcala Barry
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Alcala Barry » Sun Aug 06, 2017 2:41 pm

My apologies wembason420, it was two seperate journalists.
I find their site so hard to read as it is so overloaded with pics, headlines, ads etc, plus as our internet is so slow, the site then has to keep reloading.

Fingers crossed that a bit of common sense now seems to be being applied by the Spanish authorities.

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Sun Aug 06, 2017 3:01 pm

Hi Alcala Barry,

Picking up on........... " plus as our internet is so slow,"

Have you checked out Dinfotec coverage for your area........... :?:
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

Alcala Barry
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Alcala Barry » Sun Aug 06, 2017 3:23 pm

Enrique.
Hello there and the answer is yes. We have been with Dinfotec for about four years or so. We just have their basic cheapo internet only service. Most if the time it's ok, but some weekends and holidays it can get a but slow and judderry. Most of the time it suits us fine.
We have trouble with some sites that seem to overdo the ads, pop ups or whatever. But we will stick with Dinfotec. Our original router has died, so I bought a new one, configered it yesterday and it does seem a lot better.

Regards

Barry

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:48 pm

on the go slow tonight. 1 guy on counter checking every passport. The auto gates were working but still slow. 3 flights arrived together and it took 50 mins from plane to taxi

rafiki
Resident

Postby rafiki » Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:13 am

Has anyone departed from Seville to UK or other non-Schengen countries very recently? I'd like to know if there are any extra delays there.
Brian.