Passport control queues

Looking for information on a place in Andalucia or simply asking for advice on somewhere to visit? Post here and someone out there may know the answer.
vinuela vinny
Resident

Re: Passport control queues

Postby vinuela vinny » Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:26 am

Hi Brian

We flew from Sevilla to Gatwick last Sunday, and no problems whatsoever at either end

And the same on the return journey on Tuesday

Hope this helps

Vincent

rafiki
Resident

Postby rafiki » Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:08 am

Thanks. My daughter and grandchildren passed through on their way to UK yesterday. She said longer than usual queue for the FR STN flight plus she was queried about her son's surname as she now uses her maiden name. That has never happened before as the checks were cursory but they were more comprehensive yesterday. The plane arrived in Seville on time but they only boarded 20 minutes after scheduled take-off time. Take-off was half an hour late.

For the record, the passport guy gave her a card with tips on travelling with kids. Apparently, a copy of her ex-husband's passport and copies of the kids' birth certs on her phone will be accepted by them.
Brian.

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Thu Aug 24, 2017 4:35 pm

Just come back from 10 days all over the place. Passport control at Madrid T4 going to Dusseldorf, Germany, was a very quick and easy nod through. Waiting time was about 90 seconds. Three passport checks at Dunkirk to get on the ferry to Dover, the last one done by a British Police Officer. Getting off the ferry consisted of just driving off without passport controls — as they had all been done on the French side, I suppose. Waiting time in Dunkirk was a slow but steady drive through a distance of about 200m. It took about 20 minutes.

At Gatwick Airport on my return to Madrid, apart from the passport check read by a scanner as I handed in my bag, my passport wasn't checked at all. I suppose the UK is not that bothered as to who leaves the country. (Gatwick was hopeless. It's not my usual airport and the whole 'hotel-in-London-to-hotel-in-Madrid' thing took 11 hours with a slow train ironically called 'Gatwick Express' from Blackfriars, delayed check-in, delayed plane, stationary plane as bags were taken off the plane as they were destined for another flight altogether and then the remaining bags were recounted — four times — and slow baggage reclaim in Madrid. Miserable experience.) Passport check in Madrid took about five minutes but the plane was so late there were no other passengers from anywhere else in sight.

Alcala Barry
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Alcala Barry » Sat Aug 26, 2017 5:36 pm

Got back to Malaga from Gatwick this afternoon. Quite busy in passports area, but the police were being pretty sensible/practical. Waited no more than 15 minutes. When we went out to Gatwick last week via Gate B, no problems, all very efficient and through in 10 minutes. In both cases my passport was checked/looked at but not scanned.

Let's hope it stays that way.

mijasdavid
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby mijasdavid » Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:31 am

Went over to Bristol recently. Departures all worked very well and I got dropped off in the free for 15mins car park.
Security and queuing at the gate took only about ten minutes. Got back yesterday and again all went ok and only waited about
5/10 minutes in passport control.

Gasman
Resident

Postby Gasman » Tue Sep 12, 2017 12:37 pm

Vincent - what sort of time do you reckon to allow at Sevilla to arrive before the check-in time, for instance for Ryanair - cabin luggage only and on-line check-in done?
Thanks, Gasman

vinuela vinny
Resident

Postby vinuela vinny » Fri Sep 15, 2017 12:40 pm

Hi Gasman

Re Ryanair flights from Sevilla -

1) the check-in desk for those with hold luggage usually opens about two and a quarter hours before the scheduled flight departure time, and from experience there are usually between twenty and thirty families in the queue at that time. We always try to be at the front of the queue (that's my usual anxiety) and not only have we never been delayed getting through check-in and then security, we have never heard of anyone else being delayed either......

2) if you only have cabin baggage, getting through security the usual (for us) hour and a half or two hours has never been a problem, and we have never heard of anyone being unreasonably delayed. There are four lanes and all are usually open, and despite quite thorough checks, no delays at all.....

In general terms there are only between say five and eight flights an hour departing Sevilla, so delays really are not an issue

Gates are announced on the boards around an hour before departure, and then there is the usual scramble for the priority and other queues, usually hindered by the usual self appointed ex-pat 'queue policeman'

Hope this helps, but if you need more info, please let me know.....

Vincent

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Fri Sep 15, 2017 1:30 pm

We flew out from Malaga on Wed 6h.
We had an internal flight, gates D, so passport control checks didn't affect us.
There at about 11:00 AM had a look at the queues for passport control at gates B and C
Just a short queue for gates B and a fairly long queue for gates C
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

Gasman
Resident

Postby Gasman » Sat Sep 16, 2017 8:19 pm

Thanks Vincent