Most mountainous province

Looking for information on a place in Andalucia or simply asking for advice on somewhere to visit? Post here and someone out there may know the answer.
Erika
Andalucia.com Amigo

Most mountainous province

Postby Erika » Sat Feb 17, 2018 12:47 am

I am sure that I once read that Malaga province is the most mountainous in Spain based on the proportion of its area that is mountainous rather than the altitude of its mountains but I now can't find any reference to such a claim and internet searches aren't turning up anything even remotely similar.
I'm just wondering if I dreamed this, or if someone can point me in the direction of such a statement, or something similar as I may have got the details wrong.

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Re: Most mountainous province

Postby costakid » Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:50 am

I always thought Malaga province was the most mountainous.

maureenscot
Resident

Postby maureenscot » Sat Feb 17, 2018 5:49 pm

Not Granada?

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sat Feb 17, 2018 5:54 pm

There is no doubt that Granada has the highest mountains, but the average height above sea level is much more difficult to establish.

Sid

Erika
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Erika » Mon Feb 19, 2018 6:11 pm

thanks Costakid. You've heard the same then. Any idea where/how I might confirm that?

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:12 pm

I just googled it and all could find was that Spain is the 2nd most mountainous region in Europe after Switzerland.

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:19 pm

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sierra_Nevada_(Spain)
The Sierra Nevada is a mountain range in the region of Andalucia, in the province of Granada and, a little further, Málaga and Almería in Spain. It contains the highest point of continental Spain and Europe outside the Caucasus Mountains and the Alps, Mulhacén at 3,478 metres (11,411 ft) above sea level. It is a popular .

But by saying mountainous I believe there are more mountains in Malaga province although they are clearly not the highest if the above statement is true.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:59 pm

As I said earlier, there is no doubt that Granada has the highest mountains, confirmed by your link, but that was not the question. The question which was which is the most mountainous province. That is ambiguous as does it mean the province with the most mountains, or does it mean the province, that on average, is the highest above sea level.

Sadly, there is probably no recorded answer to this question, or at least, I for one cannot find it. It may well be that a province like Madrid, which has fewer mountains, but for the most part is at a high altitude, would win. Who knows? I don’t!

Sid