"go to" cafe/restaurant near Malaga airport

Looking for information on a place in Andalucia or simply asking for advice on somewhere to visit? Post here and someone out there may know the answer.
olive
Andalucia Guru

"go to" cafe/restaurant near Malaga airport

Postby olive » Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:28 pm

Not sure how to word the heading.

When we pick up or drop off visitors using Malaga airport it is always tricky finding somewhere nice with a bit of atmosphere to have a first drink or meal or on way back last drink/meal. We live a good 90 minutes journey away so it is too long to wait for somewhere known nearer home. We take the coast motorway to East Malaga and then up to Pedrizas pass.

Our current list isn't too inspiring. In no particular order :

San Julian on the corner.

Somewhere on the beachfront accessed via the road from the IKEA turn off the coast motorway but parking can be a problem

Somewhere on the coast in Malaga near the very tall chimneys but that adds a surprising amount of time onto the overall journey for visitors.

Where do you take your visitors that is handy for the airport?

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Re: "go to" cafe/restaurant near Malaga airport

Postby elusive » Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:12 pm

Maybe abit far from the airport but la cala del moral into rincon? Lovely front and several restaurants

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Tue Feb 20, 2018 4:39 pm

Hi olive,
If we do a Málaga pickup then we stop at http://restauranteladehesa.com/ on the A-45 , you can pickup the A-92 East at Antequera.

Going to Málaga Airport then its km92(Repsol Garage with Cafe/Restaurant Behind ) on the A-45 just before Antequera.
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

Pamela1
Andalucia Guru

Postby Pamela1 » Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:03 pm

After landing at Malaga airport we then have a 2hr journey so we get straight on the road up towards Granada and stop at Rio Frio just before Loja for food..we do the same when going to pick family up at the airport...Lovely restaurant and shop, we always buy our iberico ham from them in April which lasts us through the year...

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Tue Feb 20, 2018 6:09 pm

Had some good lunches in Rio Frio. Great for trout washed down with an icy Rose.

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:08 pm

All good suggestions but anything nearer the airport?

wollie
Resident

Postby wollie » Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:49 pm

I notice you Granada so i am guessing you know the Malaga Airport/ma 21 area.
I know two places in San Julian, when driving from Airport past brewery and heading for ma21 to Malaga, on the right loop to ma21 there is a roundabout with a turn for Julian.
You will go through the arch and about 100 metres on entering the actual village there is a turn to the right, its a little minor road but there is parking, you may have to go 50+metres.
Where this right turn is there is on the corner a fantastic type bar San Christiana, on the diagional there is a place where i often had menu del dia, this place has a new name and i have not being since name change so possibly new people.
The sandwich bar is brilliant, just a regular Spanish type, you will need to suss the other place as i have not being for a while just the way it has worked.

Hope this helps.

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Wed Feb 21, 2018 12:32 am

San julian has some lovely bars and La Cala Del Moral has free parking apart from summer months. Not sure if you go inland from Malaga or along the coast to Salobrena but quite a nice restaurant in the services at the Nerja exit off the A7.

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Wed Feb 21, 2018 12:36 am

Also if you are heading inland from Malaga look up restaurant El Tunel max 5 minute drive off motorway near the botanical gardens. There is 2 similar named but it is the one through the tunnel past the water/reservoir. Excellent food and value.

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:38 am

Wollie. The San Julian place you mention on the corner is the place in my original post. I suspect there isn't much else near the airport. I half expected someone(Peteoldracer?) to suggest Makro but I think you have tohave a card.

That second El Tunel place i.e. past the reservoir is on our list of to try places from a previous post.

wollie
Resident

Postby wollie » Wed Feb 21, 2018 12:01 pm

Olive,
Sorry i did not see you know the place i go for breakfast, the only other good place i know is close to Mario Zambrano, i do not stay too long in Malaga as just going through...

Terry Tibbs
Resident

Postby Terry Tibbs » Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:07 pm

Olive, I'm not sure whether or not this is the same place that you and Wollie were referring to in San Julián, but I have had some decent lunches here:

Mesón El Pollo del Tio Paco
Calle Londres, 6, San Julián 29004 Málaga
Tel: 952 236 127
Web site: http://www.elpollodeltiopaco.com/

I believe they are open every day except Wednesday.

I can second the reviews of the Venta del Tunel, or a bit further afield, going up the A-7000 road into the Montes de Málaga, there are several ventas along the way. I took some visitors to the Venta El Detalle the other day; it was a fairly 'basic' venta but had decent food and excellent views from the dining room down the valley to the coast. A little more 'up market' (and closer to Malaga) is the Ventorillo Santa Clara, with good food and a nice garden to eat it in when the weather obliges.

[Edited to correct the road number]
Last edited by Terry Tibbs on Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

chrissiehope
Andalucia Guru

Postby chrissiehope » Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:15 pm

olive wrote:Wollie. The San Julian place you mention on the corner is the place in my original post. I suspect there isn't much else near the airport. I half expected someone(Peteoldracer?) to suggest Makro but I think you have tohave a card.
Last time we were there (last year), the cafe opposite Makro was closed - unless there is another one but inside the store ? For the one outside, you didn't need a card, but as I have one, it would be useful to know if there is one inside ;-)
Alexandr for President (Squire for PM !)

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend.
Inside of a dog it's too dark to read (Groucho Marx)

maureenscot
Resident

Postby maureenscot » Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:38 pm

What about Ikea cafe?

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:21 pm

On the face of ot a good idea but paper coffee cups downstairs and it feels desperate. Upstairs is marginally better but then you have to run the gauntlet of lets have a look around and emerging three hours later with stuff you didnt really need and tired visitors.

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:10 pm

I second Terry's recommendation of El Meson Tio Paco in San Julian - known to everyone I know as the Chicken Shack (apparently it used to be a shack!) Not a place for drinks only, but surely one of the best restaurants around? Do check the opening times though - they're not open that long if I remember right.
Don't worry about what people think, they don't do it very often

"Acquiring a dog may be the only opportunity a human ever has to choose a relative," Mordecai Siegal 1935-2010.

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:18 am

Not open on wednesdays. Excellent food.

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:35 am

I meant the opening hours - they're closed in the afternoons
Don't worry about what people think, they don't do it very often

"Acquiring a dog may be the only opportunity a human ever has to choose a relative," Mordecai Siegal 1935-2010.

RichardCoeurdeLion
Andalucia Guru

Postby RichardCoeurdeLion » Sat Feb 24, 2018 9:02 pm

Sorry to put a negative spin on this post, but I know two people who have stopped somewhere to eat after leaving the airport and had their cars broken into and ransacked.

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Sat Feb 24, 2018 11:45 pm

Good point Richard.

If we have things of value in the car we usually choose places where you can see your car.

We will try one or two of the recommendations when we next go to Malaga next month.