Car hire prices

Looking for information on a place in Andalucia or simply asking for advice on somewhere to visit? Post here and someone out there may know the answer.
Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Car hire prices

Postby Wicksey » Mon May 28, 2018 4:08 pm

I noticed when booking our usual car hire in the UK for May this year it was almost twice the price of previous years. Usually Hertz have had special offers and I've paid less than 70 pounds for 5 to 7 day stays as a Gold member which gives a free second driver and fast track pick up.

I am just looking for future trips and am a bit surprised at the prices of car hire both in the UK and other parts of Spain, not only using Hertz website but generally searching using Holidayautos etc. Using a reputable car hire company now seems to cost nearer to 200 pounds for a short trip away. Is there a cartel now between the car hire companies at the airports I wonder? I'm glad to see that our usual hire company in Lanzarote will only charge 65 pounds for a week's stay later this year :thumbup:

wollie
Resident

Re: Car hire prices

Postby wollie » Mon May 28, 2018 5:29 pm

I am thinking it is to do with mainland Spain has become very popular as it is seen as a safe place to holiday.
Visitors to Spain have increased between 40/50% in last 5 years
It seems to me it is simply "supply and demand" i am paying more for car hire than a few years ago.
Also the flights are at least cost 50% more than 5 years ago.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Tue May 29, 2018 10:16 am

It is the UK where we have noticed it most.

I agree flights are more too. Just booked a flight to the UK (by coincidence for the same dates and on the same day I booked it last year) and it is 50% more than what we paid last year.

I think we'll have to have staycations/driving holidays as flying is a pain these days and getting more expensive. Just glad I didn't take up Ryanair's free change of flight when mine was cancelled last week as the first available one was Sunday when Stansted was struck by lightening and more flights were cancelled/delayed!

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Fri Jun 01, 2018 9:06 am

Interesting that the Hertz website quoted 208 pounds for their cheapest car for 5 days in Menorca this summer. Arguscarhire quoted 175 pounds, but Arguscarhire via Travelsupermarket had the same car, including a free 2nd driver (which I thought was only a perk of being a Hertz Goldcard member) for 147 pounds. I did contact Hertz and ask if they can match that price but they said no!