speeding

Looking for information on a place in Andalucia or simply asking for advice on somewhere to visit? Post here and someone out there may know the answer.
wollie
Resident

speeding

Postby wollie » Thu May 31, 2018 10:51 pm

I got a speed ticket for something that happened almost 1 year ago 06/06/2017,
The denuncia date 04/05/2018, the notice letter dated 25/05/2018.
It says 50% reduction if paid within 20 days. i assume this time from 25/05/2018?
How do the Spanish deal with non payment. i fully intend to pay as €50 not much.
Can i pay on-line? otherwise where do i pay? as it happens coming over soon.
Could i ask the car hire company to pay on my behalf?

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Re: speeding

Postby markwilding » Fri Jun 01, 2018 3:45 am

Any fine I have received, I usually pay at my bank.

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Fri Jun 01, 2018 7:32 am

Some years ago, I had a fine for not stopping ( long enough) at a Stop. I went to pay the day after receipt at BBVA bank and the teller wanted the full amount. Computer he say no discount. So we went to trafico in Granada and paid and put the saving towards a dayout in Granada.

RichardCoeurdeLion
Andalucia Guru

Postby RichardCoeurdeLion » Fri Jun 01, 2018 7:38 am

I thought hire companies were in the habit of paying fines for you and debiting your card after adding on a hefty admin fee.

AkoAko
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby AkoAko » Fri Jun 01, 2018 9:55 am

Different process for different areas i think . Friends had their bank account embargoed after they had gone through the Lorca tunnel quite a few times at above the speed limit , their fines were a few years old as they lived in the hills which is their NIE address so they dont get post , if hey had then they would have known they had got caught and driven at the correct speed to avoid several fines , their embargo was for just under €800 . Other friends had with the same postal problem had no idea they had been caught and fines had been issued for them several years earlier until they did their first tax return which showed they were due a refund , the fine was deducted from the refund .

I personal subscribe to a website , if i have any speeding , parking or any other trafic fines then i will get an email plus an SMS to notify me , well thats how its supposed to work not had any yet .

As with everything else in Spain its the bill payers responsibility to know or find out if they have something outstanding , the law says quite simply that the obligation is on a bill payer to pay their bills and that covers everything , no opportunity to say the post is to blame or you just didnt know .

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Fri Jun 01, 2018 10:32 am

Third party web sites are based on entries in the BOP by which time it is too late to be able to pay with a discount. The first communication after a speeding offence is usually a request for the identity of the driver and if there is no response that entails another fine. The only sure way to be able to know about speeding and other traffic fines within a day or two is to subscribe to DGT's DEV:

https://sede.dgt.gob.es/es/tramites-y-m ... nica-vial/

for which you need a digital certificate or a Cl@ve Pin or, failing that, TESTRA with can be accessed without either:

https://sede.dgt.gob.es/es/tramites-y-m ... stra.shtml

Both of these processes are free to use but DEV can take a little time to set up.

wollie
Resident

Postby wollie » Fri Jun 01, 2018 10:42 am

I was looking at the wrong date and the date i seen was for verification.
It was on my last trip over last Month.
Thanks for replies...

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Fri Jun 01, 2018 10:43 am

The DGT system works really well. When I sold my last car the garage was slow in transferring it to the new owner. He picked up a speeding fine while it was still in my name. I had an SMS from Trafico telling me about it and telling me I would get an email with details. The email contained all the documentation which I passed on to the garage who dealt with it. I did not receive any postal notifications.

Sid

Gasman
Resident

Postby Gasman » Fri Jun 01, 2018 11:58 am

Just to be clear, Woollie - were you driving a hire car at the time?

wollie
Resident

Postby wollie » Fri Jun 01, 2018 2:44 pm

Gasman, yes and the effers went to the bother of posting me a ticket.

wollie
Resident

Postby wollie » Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:26 am

I got my ticket paid.
The reason for this post is i had a interesting conversation with a friend while in Spain last week.
Basically what he told me was several years ago a friend in Holland for work, while there he got a speeding ticket and ignored same.
The fallowing year he was on the same trip, when at airport leaving he was pulled aside and had to pay fine and penalties €300 before he was allowed leave. Its worth bearing in mind and as the car-hire companies have out passport details this is likely the way things will go.
It may be against data protection for this information be used for this purpose but not worth the risk of being pulled aside at airport.

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Sun Jun 17, 2018 4:50 pm

When I hire a car in the UK, i understand by giving them my credit card details, any fine I might be subject to, the hire company will recoup the fine directly from it. Never had a fine so I personally cannot confirm if this is correct.
In Spain, I believe it’s possible for the authorities to take the fine directly from your bank account if the fine isn’t paid.