Avoiding the centre of Madrid

Looking for information on a place in Andalucia or simply asking for advice on somewhere to visit? Post here and someone out there may know the answer.
linda w
Tourist

Avoiding the centre of Madrid

Postby linda w » Sun Jun 17, 2018 8:29 pm

We are travelling from the south to Santander next month , on our way down our sat nav took us through the centre of Madrid, we don't want to do that again so been advised to do the toll road , what signs do we look for as we approach Madrid ? Thank you

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Re: Avoiding the centre of Madrid

Postby Enrique » Sun Jun 17, 2018 8:58 pm

Hi linda w,
Depending where you start out from the South......?

On the A-4/ E5 going North to Madrid either stay on it until you hit the M-50 Ring road , or follow signs to the R-4 (Toll, there are two tolls on this stretch) this also brings you up to the M-50, go East

Stay on the M-50 until you see the A-1/E5 Burgos turn(North side of Madrid) and take that, pickup the A231 at Burgos which takes you over to A-67 and Santander.

The journey from South ( R-4/M50 Junction) round Madrid to the North (A-1) takes 30 Mins

As we stop in Lerma overnight we take above route.

You can also go round the West side of Madrid and use the AP-6 /A-6 then A-62 Valladolid picking up A-67 at Palencia to Santander.

Go retro and look at a Map........... :idea:
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

linda w
Tourist

Postby linda w » Sun Jun 17, 2018 9:09 pm

Thank you , we too will be staying in Lerma so will follow that route -not too good with maps !!

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Mon Jun 18, 2018 8:52 am

There are three motorways that circumnavigate Madrid. the M30 which is the most inner and by far the busiest, M40, which is the one I usually take and the M50. The M30 is the best if you want to stop off and see a little bit of the city.
Have a good journey.

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:11 am

Take the M50 and you won’t hit any traffic. I think the signs heading north are Toledo but you don’t go into Toledo.

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:24 am

Hi,
Quick correction to above Post................

R-4 junction with M-50 .....take the Right hand lane , Sign reads E5 A4 Madrid Córdoba with the last road number A-1(at bottom right of sign) which is the Burgos turn

Taking the Left hand lane to Toledo will take you round the West side of Madrid.
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.