Ryanair industrial action July

Looking for information on a place in Andalucia or simply asking for advice on somewhere to visit? Post here and someone out there may know the answer.
olive
Andalucia Guru

Ryanair industrial action July

Postby olive » Thu Jul 05, 2018 10:11 pm

12 th July

25th 26 th July 48 action over 48 hours affecting Spain, Portugal and Belgium

Those are proposed dates. For anyone with Ryanair flights booked on or after those dates it will be worth watching for more info

Had an off the record chat with a more senior Ryanair bod on Monday and they said the junior , new staff dont get paid enough to live. On the BBC site it refers to pay going into an Irish bank account rather than their home country.. that does seem centimo pinching as large entities get good rates transferring money compared to individuals making the transfers.

TorreDelAguila
Resident

Re: Ryanair industrial action July

Postby TorreDelAguila » Fri Jul 06, 2018 8:18 am

It's what he does, and why we won't touch his outfit with a bargepole.
Chris

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Fri Jul 06, 2018 8:33 am

Ok but I am flying to the uk this weekend for 40 euros. You can't get from Birmingham airport to London for that. Great airline, great prices and no one forces the staff to work there. I bet there were a lot of grateful pilots and cabin crew who loved Ryanair when Monarch went skint and he employed them.

Torre, Are you saying you would rather pay more money to another carrier not to use Ryanair?

wollie
Resident

Postby wollie » Fri Jul 06, 2018 10:07 am

It seems to me it be illegal not to pay wages to a bank in a country other than these people are employed.
There is certainly a change coming within Ryanair, some of their pilots have a one day strike next week.
I think the OP post is referring to cabin crew strike or at least that's my info.
I do not want to pay more for flights but i do want employees treated properly.
Fares are going up and will continue to rise i am thinking.
BTW i read that the new bag policy is causing a problem as people are choosing not to buy
so creating problems for crew having to load these bags at last minute...

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Fri Jul 06, 2018 12:26 pm

Yep I was referring primarily to cabin crew action. Main reason was a heads up on the action for folk who may not have their finger on the pulse andmayhave flights booked .

I paid extra for a front seat as I am tall on last Mondays flight. The ticket didnt have priority boarding. So I sat and joined the queue at the end. Cabin crew member passed down the line and politely put tickets on everyones 10 kg carry on bag. Except for one guy with a huge kitbag full of cigs and beer apparently. He insisted on taking it on to have between his legs under theseat. Theylet him. When they gottome Iwas offered “ do you want to take your bag on” i thought yes as the plane was running late And Ihadbookeda taxi for arrival plus 45 mins. Worked well. I will see what happens when I return onWednesday. Maybe I ought to pay extra priority, booked seat, red flash, e tra priority, clubcard.

I fly with whichever airline is offering a suitable flight which is also at a reasonable price.

TorreDelAguila
Resident

Postby TorreDelAguila » Fri Jul 06, 2018 2:37 pm

costakid wrote: Torre, Are you saying you would rather pay more money to another carrier not to use Ryanair?
Yes.
Chris

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Fri Jul 06, 2018 9:43 pm

How bizarre. 99.9% of people go for the best deal that suits them.

dxf
Resident

Postby dxf » Fri Jul 06, 2018 10:16 pm

TorreDelAguila wrote:
costakid wrote: Torre, Are you saying you would rather pay more money to another carrier not to use Ryanair?
Yes.
I also pay extra rather than use Ryanair; too much hassle as you never know when he changes the rules. I tend to use BA normally or Easyjet sometimes

Davexf

Pamela1
Andalucia Guru

Postby Pamela1 » Fri Jul 06, 2018 11:13 pm

I use whoever offers the cheapest fares but i also take into account seat cost and baggage cost because they are all different.. I prefer to use Easyjet over Ryanair because flight times are better to and from Malaga. If it came down to having to pay extra so that i didn't have to fly at stupid o'clock hrs then i do.

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Sat Jul 07, 2018 8:17 am

Depends where you want to fly to.not many options for some of us.i go with the cheapest which unless a miracle haps is ryanair.
Last edited by elusive on Sat Jul 21, 2018 9:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Alcala Barry
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Alcala Barry » Fri Jul 20, 2018 11:00 am

Good morning all.

I can not understand the vitriol that comes out of some of these postings about Ryanair. Nobody forces you to travel with them, so why get so upset about them.
Personally, I have never had any problems flying with them, we have been using them years on a number of routes and only being delayed once. In fact over the last year or so I we think their service has improved quite a bit.

For those of you that pay extra to avoid Ryanair, that seems perverse to me.

Enjoy the summer!

Barry

easyJet are good as well, but more expensive.

BA - you can not be serious using them, particularly on short haul. We last flew with them about 18 months back on Malaga/Gatwick and their service was the worst we have encountered with any airline. Passengers were actually standing up in their seats and in the aisles complaining about the lack of service service.

Ryanair aren't as cheap as they used to be, but they have to pay their pilots and cabin crew more now to keep them - which is no bad thing.

Alcala Barry
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Alcala Barry » Fri Jul 20, 2018 11:08 am

Excuse the wonky posting, but it seemed to have self-edited afetr I punched postreply!

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Fri Jul 20, 2018 12:20 pm

Alcala Barry wrote:... I can not understand the vitriol that comes out of some of these postings about Ryanair....
Neither can I. Although I have not flown since around 1994 my wife travels regularly to Bournemouth with Ryanair usually for less than €50 return each time. There has never been a problem with onboard service and the flights have always been on time or a few minutes early although she thinks the cabin attendants must have attended the same charm school as Mercadona check out assistants.

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Fri Jul 20, 2018 12:49 pm

Alcala Barry wrote:Good morning all.

I
For those of you that pay extra to avoid Ryanair, that seems perverse to me.

BA - you can not be serious using them, particularly on short haul. We last flew with them about 18 months back on Malaga/Gatwick and their service was the worst we have encountered with any airline. Passengers were actually standing up in their seats and in the aisles complaining about the lack of service service.

Ryanair aren't as cheap as they used to be, but they have to pay their pilots and cabin crew more now to keep them - which is no bad thing.
But you then say you used BA whilst saying it is perverse. :? They are not as good as they were but why did so many people want service on a two and a half hour flight. Was it for booze? I just settle down and read or doze. I fly a few times per year with BA and I have never seen that happen.

I have never "vitriolised" Ryanair as I haven't used them but from comments and news reports the problem seems to arise when flights are delayed and cancelled as they do not take up their responsibilities like BA.

Alcala Barry
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Alcala Barry » Fri Jul 20, 2018 3:34 pm

Katy
What I meant was that it was perverse to avoid Ryanair just for the sake of it, even though they might offer cheaper tickets than some of their rivals. Fow want of a better term, I also think it has a little to do with 'snobbery' in the sense that some people imagine that they are superior by travelling with certain airlines rather than some low-cost airlines. Why, I have no idea. I suppose it's like people who like to carry say a Harrods shopping bag rather than a Woolworths one.

I can not remember the exact reason we elected to use BA at that time, presumably it was something to do with time of travel and/or availability. However, I assure you that the passengers were standing up in the aisles complaining about lack of service. Some people want a sandwich or similar and others (like us) like just a cup of tea en route. But the cabin crew seemed to spend so much time looking after the people 'up front' that by the time the aircraft was descending to Gatwick and the seat belt signs went on, they were furious that they hadn't been offered a cold or hot drink. It was an extraordinary sight to be honest.

I appreciate that any airline has it good and bad days, but on this occasion people blew a fuse because they felt they were being maltreated compared to the high flyers up front - I think they call it Club Europe, but I am not sure.

Happy flying.

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Fri Jul 20, 2018 4:00 pm

Maybe I am getting older but I appreciate being able to have a coffee and perhaps something to eat depending on the time of day on my flights. Sometimes I actually prebook a meal. I am not a fan at all of airport dining at either end - to me an airport is somewhere to get on and off planes.

On the two and a half hour flights I have just completed with Ryanair they did a complete drinks and food trip followed by scratch cards, "duty free" perfume goods and a further any more drinks or food trip. If BA failed to complete one pass of the drinks trolley then that is shockingly poor organisation. they could take a lesson from Ryanair in upselling ( I think that is the right term for getting extra spend out of customers).

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Fri Jul 20, 2018 5:34 pm

Alcala Barry wrote:Katy
What I meant was that it was perverse to avoid Ryanair just for the sake of it, even though they might offer cheaper tickets than some of their rivals. Fow want of a better term, I also think it has a little to do with 'snobbery' in the sense that some people imagine that they are superior by travelling with certain airlines rather than some low-cost airlines. Why, I have no idea. I suppose it's like people who like to carry say a Harrods shopping bag rather than a Woolworths one.

I can not remember the exact reason we elected to use BA at that time, presumably it was something to do with time of travel and/or availability. However, I assure you that the passengers were standing up in the aisles complaining about lack of service. Some people want a sandwich or similar and others (like us) like just a cup of tea en route. But the cabin crew seemed to spend so much time looking after the people 'up front' that by the time the aircraft was descending to Gatwick and the seat belt signs went on, they were furious that they hadn't been offered a cold or hot drink. It was an extraordinary sight to be honest.

I appreciate that any airline has it good and bad days, but on this occasion people blew a fuse because they felt they were being maltreated compared to the high flyers up front - I think they call it Club Europe, but I am not sure.

Happy flying.
Not snobbery for me, as I said I don't care for a couple of hours. I have flown easy jet a few times and they are ok. Ryanair does not fly the routes I want from Gatwick. BA is slightly better but standards have slipped. Used to be free food on short haul until last year. Used to get a breakfast on long haul now it's a dried up mimi croissant and a small kit Kat. When they said they were selling M&S sandwiches I thought good as we normally call in M&S gatwick and buy some prawn mayo ones for long haul.. But they only sell horrible toasty ones We have flown twice to Europe this year, both free from our Avios. Flight to Nice we were upgraded, only about 4 rows and the rest economy, there is only one dedicated flight attendant. Both this flight and the one to Malaga in June you could order drinks/food from your seat on the interactive screen. I think BA have more flight attendants per passenger, perhaps they were just a lazy crew.

Someone mentioned duty free, there is no duty free in EU and the prices of their stuff is higher than shopping in the High Street.

Alcala Barry
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Alcala Barry » Fri Jul 20, 2018 6:00 pm

Katy

I certainly wasn't implying that you were using snobbery at all, I merely meant some people do, which is a bit sad really.
We also thought M&S sanwiches might be a good idea too, but we never got to find out.

I take your point about wanting something on a two hour flight - but some people act very strangely once they get inside an aircraft. Did you read about the grandfather (68ish) on a recent Tui flight back to Exeter from Palma. He threw a real wobbly when he couldn't have bacon rolls for himself and his granddaughter. Ended up in court and getting a fine - got off lightly really.

Agree with you about Duty Free as it's surprising how many people seem to think duty free still exists within the EU.

As you suggest, it looks like a lot of airlines are cutting back on the freebies in an effort to make an extra buck or two - or in some cases stop losing a buck or two.

Happy flying.

brentles
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby brentles » Sun Jul 22, 2018 7:25 pm

Hi there, I have tried to find out if my flight on Wednesday to Berlin from Malaga is cancelled or not, but can't get any info anywhere! Does anyone know who I can call or look up on the internet. I used up all my phone credit on hold to Ryanair 0870 number.

Thanks all!

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Sun Jul 22, 2018 8:09 pm

Try the live chat on ryanairs website