Ryanair industrial action July

Looking for information on a place in Andalucia or simply asking for advice on somewhere to visit? Post here and someone out there may know the answer.
Pamela1
Andalucia Guru

Re: Ryanair industrial action July

Postby Pamela1 » Fri Aug 24, 2018 7:46 pm

What a bl--dy farse, so if the objective is to decrease boarding time and everyone decides to go priority boarding then what? All the carry on bags can go on board! Ryanair can give any reason they want but ultimately at the end of the day it's always about money..

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Fri Aug 24, 2018 8:54 pm

OK, so what happens if all 180 passengers buy priority? It will be back to like it was before. total chaos with everyone trying to find space.

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Fri Aug 24, 2018 10:00 pm

Presumably their algorythm doesn't allow more than 95 sales?

anyroads
Andalucia Guru

Postby anyroads » Fri Aug 24, 2018 10:05 pm

Just like British Gas putting up their prices recently, others are following suit already...

Won't be long before the rest of the airlines will also be charging for carry on "10kg cases".

Up to now, I am avoiding the latest charge, using BA or easyjet.

anyroads

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Sat Aug 25, 2018 12:40 am

The 20kg case already costs 70 euros extra and when I take one with Easyjet or Ryanair, I usually ask them to check in the smaller one as well at the check in desk to avaid having to take it with me through security.

Makes no difference because I have to wait at the belt anyway.

wollie
Resident

Postby wollie » Sat Aug 25, 2018 8:37 am

To me this is just marketing strategy and i was expecting this charge coming but surprised it came so quick.
It is obvious to me that Airlines are realizing there is a big space in the bottom not making money.
Ryanair decided to let us have it for free for a year or so and now they want us to pay for it, it is pretty clever.
Does anyone know the size/weight of the small bag we are allowed?
Also what is the rule in regard to purchases at the Airport do these have to fit inside this small carry-on bag?

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Sat Aug 25, 2018 9:41 am

From their website:
Your small bag (e.g. handbag, laptop etc.) must not exceed 35x20x20cm and should easily fit under the seat in front of you.

When I travelled in May with them it all worked very well I thought as we paid for priority and there was loads of room in the lockers for our carry on luggage. The new system does seem to be overly complicated!

The new rules are here
https://www.ryanair.com/gb/en/useful-in ... aggage#0-0

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Sat Aug 25, 2018 9:55 am

Just read the new rules and after 1 Nov the 'small' bag will be much bigger

"We have also increased the permitted size of the free small carry-on bag by 43% from 35 x 20 x 20cm to 40 x 20 x 25cm.”

The new 'small' bag is almost as big as my wheelie case! I can see this causing more problems at the gate as anyone who hasn't paid for priority and hasn't checked in their bag at the bag drop will be charged 25 pounds at the gate to have it put into the hold.

"Non-priority customers who have not added a bag to their booking can still purchase a 10kg wheelie bag at the airport bag drop desk for €/£20 or €/£25 at the boarding gate."

firsttango
Andalucia Guru

Postby firsttango » Sat Aug 25, 2018 10:00 am

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Sat Aug 25, 2018 12:17 pm

There is not a chance of me going back to the old way of queuing up to check in a case. I thought those days were long gone. It doesn't bother me as I don't carry any luggage when I travel but my wife does every time. If we nip to Spain or the UK she always takes a case just incase.

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Sat Aug 25, 2018 3:39 pm

A big case is needed for various reasons. If you are spending over a week away or sometimes it might be a shopping trip.

Recent trips
London 2 day shopping trip, big case needed.
Dublin 4 weeks, big case needed.
London 4 days, small case.
Ibiza 1 week, small case.
Last edited by markwilding on Sat Aug 25, 2018 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Sat Aug 25, 2018 4:04 pm

When we used to come here to our holiday home we hardly needed any luggage but we can't travel now without any as we have no 'home' base anywhere else.
We usually only do short trips and we can manage with just a carry on bag so with Ryanair we just pay for priority in order to get our bags on with us. I wonder if Easyjet will start to go down that road too in time? They already say only one bag is allowed, (although they do allow duty free shopping as well).

Manchesteral
Resident

Postby Manchesteral » Sat Aug 25, 2018 9:23 pm

I have clothes in Sweden, England and Gran Canaria and yet, I still find myself travelling with a big bloody suitcase almost every time :-) I have however solved the solution of cabin baggage, I bought an oversize bag for my laptop, then I load it up with: reading glasses, books, snacks etc !! :clap:

wollie
Resident

Postby wollie » Sat Sep 08, 2018 7:55 am

Below is a bit i picked up on the wire about Ryanair, hopefully these employees will get proper contracts at home countries. A pan-European strike will surely ruffle a few feathers not just in Ryanair but in local economies and with the rule-makers who in my opinion should not have allowed this happen in the first place. Personally i am lucky as my winter flights with EasyJet but i like to see it resolved and the employees looked after, i have two flights coming up in the next two weeks with Ryanair but likely before this takes place...

"Ryanair passengers may face more disruption after workers across Europe threatened the "biggest strike action the company has ever seen" later this month.
Unions in Italy, Portugal, Belgium, Spain and Holland demanded contracts based on local rather than Irish law and warned they would not back down until their demands are met. The unions, including Ultrasporti in Italy and SNPVAC in Portugal, warned a strike may take place in the last week of this month and will be announced by September 13."

Parilla
Resident

Postby Parilla » Sat Sep 08, 2018 10:24 am

Wollie, where did you find that information ?

Parilla

wollie
Resident

Postby wollie » Sun Sep 09, 2018 9:25 am

Parilla,
I tried to find the article again but cannot find. i do know i got it through google news.
Hopefully this is just a start as i was just now watching a lady on tv talking about 0 hours contracts.

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Sun Sep 09, 2018 10:20 am

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Sun Sep 09, 2018 11:58 am

24h spanish news channel reporting on the strike last night

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Fri Sep 14, 2018 8:47 am

Latest news:-

"RYANAIR passengers face fresh woes as cabin crew from five countries have announced a one day walk-out on 28 September. ... Unions from Spain, Italy, Portugal, the Netherlands and Belgium have confirmed the 24 hour Ryanair strike will go ahead."

My son and grandson fly on the 27th Sept so they are OK.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:09 am

all other airlines will respond now the date is confirmed and cash in by putting up there prices.