Ryanair industrial action July

Looking for information on a place in Andalucia or simply asking for advice on somewhere to visit? Post here and someone out there may know the answer.
costakid
Andalucia Guru

Re: Ryanair industrial action July

Postby costakid » Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:13 am

Bizarrely you can still book a flight on the 28th on the Ryanair website. I suppose they take your money and return it if the strike goes ahead.

1bassleft
Resident

Postby 1bassleft » Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:25 am

My wife nipped back to UK last week with Jet2 (who, in many ways pull the same stunts but get away with it) and flies back to AGP with Ryanair today. She was meant to travel light but had a last minute "I need" panic (including, bizarrely, a particular pair of tweezers) and is checking in a case and carrying her handbag. She hasn't gone for Priority + 2 bags because her seat is at the front and only her handbag's staying with her.

Get this: last night I got a Ryanair email (just in time to purchase the Priority +2, but still of no interest to me/her). I paraphrase as I can't locate it. "For the benefit of our customers" alcohol cannot be consumed... blah, blah standard stuff. Alcohol purchased elsewhere cannot be brought into the cabin, we shall be checking for this at boarding. If you have purchased alcohol, this must be placed in your cabin bag and the bag will be put in the hold at no charge. If the alcohol cannot be placed safely in the hold for example, it is in a plastic carrier bag, the alcohol will be removed and you cannot take it on board the plane.

So, people who buy a bottle of scotch and some wine at the airport shop and walk to the gate with it in a carrier bag will have it removed from them - even though it is the only bag they are carrying on board? Even Priority +2 passengers should be getting bags shoved in the hold at the last moment. My wife doesn't drink, but I've warned her to prepare for a near-riot that could take place at the gate. It's the red-eye midnight lander and some passengers will have to go without gin and cornflakes for breakfast if they push this one.

It reminds me of a few years back when they measured everyone's hand luggage while checking boarding passes. They packed it in a while later, but it was Dante's delays and arguments factory while it lasted. I wonder what the airport shops will make of the loss of business?

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:33 am

Flew on Friday from Murcia San Javier with two litre bottles of gin in a flight bag....no problems. Don’t know if things will change in January when they shut this lovely little airport and transfer to Corvera.
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

1bassleft
Resident

Postby 1bassleft » Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:07 am

Managed to track down the email, these are the exact words:

In order to prioritize the comfort and safety of all passengers, Ryanair will implement the following restrictions on your upcoming flight to Spain:

• Customers will not be allowed to carry alcohol on board and all cabin baggage will be searched at the boarding gates.

• Any alcohol purchased in airport shops or elsewhere must be packed carefully in a suitable item of cabin baggage, which will be tagged at the gate and then placed in the aircraft hold free of charge.

• If the bag is unsuitable for placing in the hold (e.g. plastic bag) then customers will be required to dispose of the alcohol in the bins provided.

• Boarding gates will be carefully monitored and customers showing any signs of anti-social behaviour or attempting to conceal alcohol will be denied travel without refund or compensation.

Thank you in advance for your co-operation with these procedures

EDIT: I know what that last bullet means - "Don't even think of starting to argue..." We don't drink, but it's still a problem if WWIII kicks off. There have been recent programmes in the UK about UK airport bars serving people who can barely stand upright at 5am, but that's a different issue. One that can be conveniently misused, in the UK at least where 'do what you're told' is the norm.

2nd EDIT, of course, nasty anti-social alcohol can be still bought on their planes for £14/litre
https://assets.ryanair.com/resources/ui ... gazine.pdf

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:30 am

On our flight (and family say on many of theirs previously) there was no wine, no milk for coffee for sale, so maybe they are promoting abstinence!

country boy
Andalucia Guru

Postby country boy » Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:47 am

1bassleft wrote:Managed to track down the email, these are the exact words:

2nd EDIT, of course, nasty anti-social alcohol can be still bought on their planes for £14/litre
https://assets.ryanair.com/resources/ui ... gazine.pdf
That's why they don't bring it round until just before landing!

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:55 am

Is it only on certain routes? I can't imagine they will have time to search everybody's hand luggage. I know some routes are more popular with stag/hen parties .... must admit I have never encountered that type of traveller when we go to or from the UK. It is mostly adults, and a lot are middle age or older, and couples it seems.

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:56 am

Wicksey. Was that an understandable Freudian slip? Stag /hen parties Adults. :wink:

Not a good way to run a service. Not having milk, wine etc on board.

So if you have paid priority and only have one bag which you want to have in the cabin so you can make a quicker getaway at arrivals then you wont be buying in the duty free lounge.?

1bassleft
Resident

Postby 1bassleft » Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:43 am

That's pretty much the point of it, Olive. Even with Priority+2, the airport shop purchased alcohol has to go in the hold, and boggo custards with a carrier bag will have it swiped and "binned". The only way the "can't wait to get to my apartment and drink my gin" traveller, or just anyone who likes to walk past the carousel but picks up a bottle on their travel, can do it is to purchase on the flight. Which Ryanair can control for the comfort of other travellers by only issuing at the end of the flight - and coincidentally monopolizes the lucrative business. I have never noticed anyone unscrewing the cap and snorkling out of the bag on any flight, never mind getting plastered, but it's a good ruse.

The only bother for me is the backlash, when all I want to do is just get there (where are the teleporters - they promised us teleporters by C21?)

If past experience goes, they will do it. Some wonk dreams this money making idea up (eg, measuring bags at the last moment and charging airport price as hold luggage a few years back) and it runs for a while until the chaos is obvious. Shortly after the Single Market, Easyjet unilaterally and weirdly got it into their heads that custards should not be allowed more than 800 cigs. My mum was on a flight delayed as officious EJ staff started yoinking people's cartons out. Fortunately (I was a smoker back then) they toned it down by my flight but still put someone's case unzipped on the carousel with cartons spilled out. Customs were supremely uninterested and the owner simply scooped them back in.

ps, the budget line's last flight of the day is routinely unstocked. You're lucky to get more than a crisp packet.

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Tue Sep 18, 2018 11:13 am

Does anyone really buy alcohol at the airport when travelling. Cheaper when you arrive, even in Caribbean etc.

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Tue Sep 18, 2018 11:15 am

Litre of Larios €8.90.....@ MJV

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Tue Sep 18, 2018 1:09 pm

I do. When I go back to the Uk, I generally take a couple of litre bottles of Larios as a present for the sister in law. About the price peteroldracer pays.

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Wed Sep 19, 2018 8:47 am

We flew with Ryanair and my son bought some bottles of Guinness to bring back to Spain in the duty free in Dublin airport with no problem.
It's the only way to do it if you don't want to risk bottles being broken in your suitcase by baggage handlers.

Pamela1
Andalucia Guru

Postby Pamela1 » Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:36 am

My daughter flew to Ibiza last year, typical young persons destination.She received an email from Ryanair prior to flying announcing that bags would be searched at the gate and alcohol would be confiscated.Also stated anyone seen to be intoxicated would be refused boarding...Lot's of young people were intoxicated and no one's bag was checked before boarding...The flight was rowdy and chaotic..So why didn't they carry out the threat of searching bag's etc? Simply because they don't have time, i think the emails are sent out as a hopeful deterrent, hasn't worked...
Last edited by Pamela1 on Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:38 am

That's what I meant, Pamela, that some routes are more likely to have problems than others. Really, any passenger that appears drunk at the gate should not be allowed to board.

If you don't have hold luggage, which we never do, if you do want to take a gift of alcohol then 'duty free' is the only way of taking it. We have taken the sweet Malaga wine before and it was a similar price to the supermarkets. Even if I did take hold luggage, I'm not sure I would trust a bottle in it seeing how they chuck the bags around.

My next Ryanair flight isn't until next summer and things will probably have changed again by then!

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Wed Sep 19, 2018 11:18 am

In the USA if duty free is bought at the airport it is delivered straight to your flight and only handed over on landing. Has been like that for as long as I can remember. Athough they have always had strict alcohol laws anyway. Some places in California don't allow it on the beach.

I haven't been in a duty free shop at Malaga for years as the last time I did the prices were higher than the supermarkets in Marbella. Must have changed now.

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Wed Sep 19, 2018 11:25 am

Pamela1 wrote:My daughter flew to Ibiza last year, typical young persons destination.She received an email from Ryanair prior to flying announcing that bags would be searched at the gate and alcohol would be confiscated.Also stated anyone seen to be intoxicated would be refused boarding...Lot's of young people were intoxicated and no one's bag was checked before boarding...The flight was rowdy and chaotic..So why didn't they carry out the threat of searching bag's etc? Simply because they don't have time, i think the emails are sent out as a hopeful deterrent, hasn't worked...
What is wrong with people now, never used to happen. Not just young people either as have seen a few cases of middle aged in the news.

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Wed Sep 19, 2018 11:28 am

And one idiot managed to overdose on cocaine on a Jet2 from Ibiza to Manchester. How thorough are searches! At least Darwin’s theories proved right and he did not survive.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Wed Sep 19, 2018 11:36 am

katy wrote: What is wrong with people now, never used to happen. Not just young people either as have seen a few cases of middle aged in the news.
But don't most UK town centres have a problem with drinkers at the weekends now? I can remember years ago our local town centre was awful during the evenings. When I was at work during the day it was a normal town (and a historic one with tourists visiting) but if I ever went there at night it was full of people out of their heads, shouting and being sick all over the place .... really horrible. A long weekend in York in the 1990s was like that .... we were really surprised at the anti social behaviour.

From what we see on UK TV and newspapers, it seems common now. I don't usually see that sort of behaviour here in Spanish towns and cities at night. There seems to be a real drinking culture in Britain, and has been for some years now. I certainly wouldn't like to be stuck on a plane with a load of them!

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Wed Sep 19, 2018 11:51 am

Never heard of Botellones? Been lots of problems reported in the press. I think some UK cities do have problems but I don't live close to a city so difficult to say. There has always been rowdiness at turning out time, remember when I was young and living in London. Seen it in the Daily Fail but a couple of girls falling around doesn't prove they are all the same.

Have a look at this, drinking problems in spain,
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Botellón