Travel Insurance

Looking for information on a place in Andalucia or simply asking for advice on somewhere to visit? Post here and someone out there may know the answer.
pensure1988
Resident

Re: Travel Insurance

Postby pensure1988 » Sun Aug 26, 2018 11:28 pm

Hi

Try CityBond they are quiet competetive. i used them for Travel from Spain via UK to Australia and back. No Problems.

https://www.suretravel.co.uk/

Good Luck

David

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Mon Aug 27, 2018 9:42 am

I tried statins but they gave me awful joint pains so I came off them. As my blood pressure is always on the low side I am not too worried at the moment. My father had hardening of the arteries but lived to 93.

My cholesterol is way beyond borderline (over 9 in UK measurements, although it tends to be between 7 and 8 mostly now) but my good cholesterol (HDL) is always very high. Strangely, when I was tested when I was on statins my HDL went very low .... I would rather be as I am with high good cholesterol I think. With such high overall results each time I am tested every 6 months I think I have to declare it for insurance purposes.

labella
Tourist

Postby labella » Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:43 am

I'm from Singapore and I have been told that we are required to get for travel insurance before going to Spain. I just got mine at our local bank with the dates inclusive for my time in Spain. Honestly, travel insurance is so important. Hospital fees are really high in Europe.

pensure1988
Resident

Postby pensure1988 » Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:54 am

Hi

I used this company below in February this year. Their rates were pretty competive with other companies and cover expats living in Europe as well as UK. Pre-medical conditions are covered for a small fee with full disclosure when you take the policy out. They covered me from Gibraltar to Uk as well as to Australia and return the same way through an Annual Policy taken out in Sept 2017.

https://www.citybond.co.uk/

David

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Mon Oct 29, 2018 10:02 am

At least as important as insurance for UK-based holidaymakers is to understand the system: some naive Jet2 customers went to Benidorm, one was taken ill and the hotel sent them to a private hospital. They had insurance but had not declared a previous history and now have to pay back £7000 for the treatment. They could have made sure they were dealt with in the state system using their EHICs and all would have been covered.
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

1bassleft
Resident

Postby 1bassleft » Mon Oct 29, 2018 11:44 am

Totally agree, Peter. My mum stayed out in my place and her guy fell seriously ill. The nearby private clinic did make sense but, once he was out of danger, I urged them to transfer while he was kept for observation. They didn't and the insurance company drew a link to a previous condition and refused to pay out. They were about 10k down and had EHICs all that time.

Manchesteral
Resident

Postby Manchesteral » Mon Oct 29, 2018 7:47 pm

An EHIC is not a get out of jail free card, it entitles you to medical consultations in the first instance, emergency and or life saving treatment.
What you should do under the new terms laid out by the new Spanish government is attend your nearest (Spanish) health centre and register there, all you need is you passport and or Driving licence or I D card (which for some inexplicable reasons the British government have failed to legislate).
You get the same treatment in Spain as you would in the U K, The Spanish government then sends a bill for your treatment to the U K authorities.
This is a new law recently passed by the new Spanish government who rightly believe that all inhabitants of Spanish soil, long or short term, are entitled to hospital treatment. Having said that, in my view anyone who travels without insurance is foolish in the extreme !!

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Tue Oct 30, 2018 10:05 am

Legal residents of spain are still been refused access to healthcare even with the new law. As a tourist you wont get anywhere without showing a EHIC.local health centres have even been registaring residents with them (illegally) causing lots of issues for people who are ending up been billed.

Manchesteral
Resident

Postby Manchesteral » Thu Nov 01, 2018 11:37 am

elusive wrote:Legal residents of spain are still been refused access to healthcare even with the new law. As a tourist you wont get anywhere without showing a EHIC.local health centres have even been registaring residents with them (illegally) causing lots of issues for people who are ending up been billed.
I have registered at my local health centre in Las Palmas, I presented my Passport and driving licence, she never even asked for my N H I C even though I had it in my hand, I guess (as normal) different regions interpret things differently !