Easyjet

Looking for information on a place in Andalucia or simply asking for advice on somewhere to visit? Post here and someone out there may know the answer.
Pamela1
Andalucia Guru

Easyjet

Postby Pamela1 » Sat Sep 29, 2018 12:21 am

Easyjet brought out their Summer 2019 flight schedules yesterday, i am stuck with School holidays but at least i have a 6 week window to play with. I got on line early and chose dates around a price which i knew everyone would be happy with. Having gone through the booking process and also having put in my card details up pops a window telling me that the price of the flights had gone up,at that point i felt conned and i was put off..This has never happened before but it seems after speaking to someone else it also happened to them when they were booking a flight with KLM to Lithuania the day before..Has any forum members had anything like this happen?
Since then i have been monitoring the activity by selecting dates that have risen in price substantially and proceeding through the booking process to seat allocation, hardly a seat sold, i think it's emotional pressure into fooling people that the flight they want has lots of interest and is being rapidly booked. I went on later in the day and some prices had dropped considerably, how annoying for anyone who may have booked a few hrs earlier..or had Easyjet's emotional blackmail back fired. The prices continuously fluctuated throughout the day and during Easter i noticed one particular date was £172 only to drop to £80 for all of 20mins, it then went up to £110 and has stayed at that.It seems to be a mine field and one which requires a steady nerve only when you have made your choice it is very annoying to then be conned at the final stage of booking. :thumbdown:

wollie
Resident

Re: Easyjet

Postby wollie » Sat Sep 29, 2018 9:32 am

With EasyJet we need to have our dates ready before we go in as the system obviously triggers by the amount of people looking on the route.
One thing worth watching is the amount of people looking at the route your looking at, it shows in the window just below the route.
Another thing book as many flights as possible as the booking charge of £15 will be spread over the flights.
I just checked now and a return flight i booked a few days ago is now £30 more than when i booked.
Its all a kindof a game but the ke is have an idea of the dates you need and if possible have a second option.
I also think it not a good idea to hit too many times on a date as you may be causing the increase yourself.
Another thing is sometimes there be say 2 flights at say £50, if you buy the 2 it be £100, if we ask for 3 or more it will be the next
price up for all flights, the site often says how many flights at the given price. The best advise i think is original search just look for
one person, then when you have decised on date book whatever you need.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Sat Sep 29, 2018 10:38 am

Having booked a cruise for next summer I was tied by dates and when booking I hadn't really noticed that the return flight would be at the start of the UK summer holidays ....eek! So I was up early ready for the release of the flights at 6am UK time on Thursday.

I didn't have any problem booking and the payment went straight through. I got the seats for about 40 going out and just over 80 coming back which I didn't think was bad for 20 July. However, I needed to book hold luggage (for the first time in about 6 years) and that was the shock as they were over 42€ each, each way for my friend and me. I checked later in the day and the total cost of the booking had risen by over 300€ so it was worth setting my alarm for.

I was aware that prices may come down again in time, but I think for 20 July they will remain high now as it's peak season .... not when I would usually choose to travel.

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Sat Sep 29, 2018 10:57 am

With Easyjet it's a matter of getting in early.
I got Paris from the 26th to 31st December for 55 Euros return. London for 42 Euros return the third weekend in January. British Airways seem to work the same way. A flight I bought some months ago for the long weekend from the 6th to 10th December was 70 euros and checking and now is well over 300 Euros per flight.

Ryanair, on the other hand, If you have missed the inicial low price and the flights have gone up, Its worth waiting for their 25 per cent flash sales or just keep checking because the price can go down again, especially closer to flight time. I had to buy about 25 flights on the same flight over a period of 2-3 months earlier this year and although the best prices were the first ones I bought, waiting would bring rewards.

On one occasion, like Pamela, it didn't allow me to finalise a flight and when I went back, It had gone up so I tried with a different email address and Voila!!! I got it at the lower price.

Manchesteral
Resident

Postby Manchesteral » Sat Sep 29, 2018 11:12 am

When searching for flights online use the incognito facility on your computer.

Most airline /travel companies have programmes on thier operating systems which flag people who are searching for particular flights, when you start the booking process the price will then rise, this is not **** it actually happens, I learned this from a programmer who worked for Jet 2 !

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Sat Sep 29, 2018 11:17 am

I have heard of that too Manchesteral and I always do my hire car searches in incognito. On Thursday morning though it was my first search as the dates weren't released until then so presume that was OK to use the ordinary browser. As it was, I was so sleepy I could hardly focus and was quite nervous I'd book the wrong thing :) It's only if you keep searching for the same dates that I think it knows!

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Sat Sep 29, 2018 11:49 am

Can work both ways though. Sometimes on BA the flights are high and a few days later a box has flashed on the screen with a much lower price. BA has sales every few months too.
Similar with Booking.com. I was going to book a hotel in London tonight as we are going to the theatre. The smallish boutique one we know nearby was asking £189 which I thought a bit steep, nothing special. Decided we would take the train back but this morning it flashed up at £85 so I booked it. Could be they had cancellations but don't these sites work on algorithms ?

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Sat Sep 29, 2018 11:52 am

Always use private browsing when comparing anything online.

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Sat Sep 29, 2018 12:01 pm

How do you do that? My theory is that if I have looked and not bought it may come up with a lower price. Ha Ha

wollie
Resident

Postby wollie » Sat Sep 29, 2018 12:09 pm

Wicksey,
Did EasyJet announce in advance they were launching on Thursday and if yes where? i checked some time ago on-line and i think the info i got was be launched in October, i just like to know as i buy alot of flights.
It was just before i completed a booking with Ryanair on Thursday i decided to look at EasyJet and there the flights for July/Aug were.it was about €15 more but much better flight times...

Pamela1
Andalucia Guru

Postby Pamela1 » Sat Sep 29, 2018 12:16 pm

costakid wrote:Always use private browsing when comparing anything online.
I thought about that this morning, one thing i always do is clear browsing history and cookies in case of tracking, whether that works or is just a myth i don't know but i do it anyway.
This year when we were looking to go to Seville from Manchester with Easyjet the flights went from £20 up to £80 and back again to £20...Ryanair are not as erratic and prices don't seem to fluctuate in huge chunks as much as Easyjet..I will watch the fares over the next few weeks, i know if Easyjet hasn't had the interest they will drop back again but it's a case of watching closely. I can get a Ryanair flight out of the same airport, same dates for £80 - £90 less and that's a considerable amount. The flight times are not as desirable and my confidence in them is low considering i have already had flights cancelled due to strike action, once bitten etc.

Pamela1
Andalucia Guru

Postby Pamela1 » Sat Sep 29, 2018 12:21 pm

wollie wrote:Wicksey,
Did EasyJet announce in advance they were launching on Thursday and if yes where? i checked some time ago on-line and i think the info i got was be launched in October, i just like to know as i buy alot of flights.
It was just before i completed a booking with Ryanair on Thursday i decided to look at EasyJet and there the flights for July/Aug were.it was about €15 more but much better flight times...
Wollie if you wish to know in advance when Easyjet will announce their seasonal flight schedules then just google it and it will take you to an information page on the Easyjet website, i believe you can also get advance notification if you add them to your facebook account should you have one.

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Sat Sep 29, 2018 12:42 pm

on a mac click on file and then click new private window after you have opened safari

1bassleft
Resident

Postby 1bassleft » Sat Sep 29, 2018 2:00 pm

It's pretty routine for me that it's now second nature. I go through the usual suspects (EJ, Ryanair, JET2, Norwegian and Iberia) comparing, including the luggage etc. Luggage is/was particularly important when we were teachers as the budget airlines think of a number and triple it in school holidays. Then, after all that, I'll decide on an airline.

EJ, in particular, increases the flight price for the one that you've looked at previously in the session. No special anonymizing required, simply close the tab (no need to close the browser even), open the website in a new tab and the previous price is back again. It looks like it's a very basic, "Aha, they're interested in flying on this day" price-pusher.

Opposite but similar, if I found a reasonable deal on car hire with Do You Spain, I would then move my mouse over to close the tab. Up comes the "hang on, we've magically found a better price" pop-up - sometimes with a significant saving. Don't touch DYS any more, thank goodness, but it used to allow me to put a bit of money aside for the inevitable add-on charges when I actually collected the vehicle.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Sat Sep 29, 2018 2:10 pm

wollie wrote:Wicksey,
https://www.easyjet.com/en/schedule-release

I Googled a while ago and found this page above. It shows that some time in mid November flights for Sept/Oct 2019 are going to be availble so if you look nearer the time they should have put the actual date up.

The week before, on the 20 Sept, the flights up to 23 June 2019 were released so I had to do the same then as we needed flights for spring as well. On the main home page nearer to the dates it also had a banner saying that these flights would be available. I feel like an unpaid travel agent these days :crazy:

On the car hire subject, I have found that Hertz tends to get cheaper nearer to our planned trip although it does depend where you are going. I find Gatwick better value than Stansted. I did have to get a Hertz car via Argus car hire a couple of months back as it was almost half the price, but still more than usual. It seems a bit of a lottery at times and you can spend a lot of time searching for stuff, especially when you have a number of trips a year to organise.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Sat Sep 29, 2018 2:16 pm

1bassleft wrote:, but it used to allow me to put a bit of money aside for the inevitable add-on charges when I actually collected the vehicle.
I use an independent insurance to cover any extra insurance, plus to cover the excess. Only about 40 pounds a year so well worth it if you need to hire a car a few times a year. I just refuse anything extra that they offer and as I've paid in advance there's nothing more to pay or to worry about when picking up the car. With Hertz Gold card (which is free) I don't have to produce anything at all, even my credit card, just my OH's driving licence as the (free) second driver, and we are in and out the office in 5 minutes.

1bassleft
Resident

Postby 1bassleft » Sat Sep 29, 2018 7:38 pm

Yes, Wicksey, I packed in with DYS et al some years ago. Even though I had my excess insurance, they would blah about their own like a recording for 5mins at least. Then some post-10pm charge, tank-filling admin. When it got to the point I'd pre-empted everything, they just tried to charge at the end when your flight's leaving and you're over a barrel. An unsuccessful attempt to charge me for sand in the footwell (after 3 weeks in summer) was my favourite. Don't want to derail the thread, but Alamo/Enterprise, Hertz or Cargest via Zest were the only firms I'd touch until I got my own vehicle.

Pamela1
Andalucia Guru

Postby Pamela1 » Sat Sep 29, 2018 8:54 pm

I second zest. :thumbup: used them a few times without any probs...