Is there Uber in Spain? How effective are public transportations?

Looking for information on a place in Andalucia or simply asking for advice on somewhere to visit? Post here and someone out there may know the answer.
labella
Tourist

Is there Uber in Spain? How effective are public transportations?

Postby labella » Thu Oct 18, 2018 7:10 am

Hello! I will be moving to Spain early next year. Just wanna know if there is there Uber in Spain? Or should I use public transportation instead to get around? Moreover, I will be moving to Madrid from Seville after 2 months. Will there be a taxi or Uber to take me from Seville to Madrid? Or should I just use the train for that?

TorreDelAguila
Resident

Re: Is there Uber in Spain? How effective are public transportations?

Postby TorreDelAguila » Thu Oct 18, 2018 7:32 am

Taxis and public transport galore in Spain, no problem.
Some homes even have electricity these days. :roll:
Chris

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Thu Oct 18, 2018 4:49 pm

If you have money to burn, you could take a taxi. Because it’s 525 kms most of us would take the high speed train which would get you there in half the time of the Taxi. You would even see Atocha staion, one of the most distinctive train stations I’ve been in.

1bassleft
Resident

Postby 1bassleft » Thu Oct 18, 2018 11:47 pm

Uber has a presence in Spain, which is resented by the official taxis (white vehicles with a red door stripe in Madrid, yellow stripe in Seville) but you could say that of most countries. At least until you find your feet (terrible pun alert), I would stick to the official "SP" taxis to get around if too far to walk. Seville and Madrid both have a metro system that should make most journeys around the cities easy to plan and buses, along with the Metros, are cheaper than taxis once you are familiarized.

As Mark says, the train from Seville to Madrid will be comfortable, faster and a lot less expensive than a taxi. If you anticipate having to take a lot of items with you on the journey, it is possible to hire a car or small van in Seville and leave it with the Madrid office if you use larger companies like Alamo/Enterprise. You would need additional paperwork to support a Singaporean driving licence but it may still work out cheaper than a taxi. Uber would undercut a taxi from Seville to Madrid, I dare say, but I would make enquiries once in Seville to get local experience of the reliability of the service.

I hope you enjoy living in Spain; Sevilla is a really nice city that I've enjoyed staying in a few times (very hot in August) but others on this forum know it much better than I do and I'm sure many other questions you might have will be answered here.

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Fri Oct 19, 2018 11:49 am

Uber is taking off in Spain especially here in Malaga. The AVE is quite cheap if you book a month in advance. I think Madrid to Seville is around 90 minutes. Madrid to Malaga is only 2.5 hours. 300KPH and a pleasure to be on.

maureenscot
Resident

Postby maureenscot » Fri Oct 19, 2018 2:20 pm

Thank you for your great account

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru
Location: Alhaurin el Grande since 99, cartama campo since 2022

Postby spanish_lad » Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:04 pm

There is uber and cabify.
Alhaurin el Grande since 99, working at the airport since 2011.