Drinking water at airports

Looking for information on a place in Andalucia or simply asking for advice on somewhere to visit? Post here and someone out there may know the answer.
Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Drinking water at airports

Postby Wicksey » Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:46 am

Don't know if it is common knowledge but you can take an empty water bottle through security and fill it airside at drinking fountains now. In Malaga they are outside every toilet although it is quite chlorinated in flavour. In Gatwick it was fiendishly difficult to locate and there seemed to be only one in North Terminal departures. Handy though (for those of us who drink a lot of water) and saves the inflated price of buying water from the vending machines.

country boy
Andalucia Guru

Re: Drinking water at airports

Postby country boy » Mon Oct 22, 2018 12:53 pm

Hear Hear
I understood that water was to be available at Malaga for 1€ in all establishments as reported in the press. We paid 3.50€ each for two 750cl bottles in the cafe and 2.70€ for a 500cl in the vending machines last weekend. At Gatwick, Boots were doing 2x500cl for £2 which I felt was a little more reasonable.
Don't like chloriney water!

chrissiehope
Andalucia Guru

Postby chrissiehope » Mon Oct 22, 2018 1:27 pm

They had one drinking fountain in Malaga quite a few years ago, & we did what you are suggesting Wicksey. Sadly it wasn't long before the fountain disappeared, so I am glad to see it, & more, are back again :-)
Alexandr for President (Squire for PM !)

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend.
Inside of a dog it's too dark to read (Groucho Marx)

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Mon Oct 22, 2018 1:59 pm

2.70 for 750ml in the vending machines at malaga.

wollie
Resident

Postby wollie » Mon Oct 22, 2018 6:12 pm

Personally i usually do not buy water at any of the airports as i will usually have water in bag and finish at security.
Then i will usually have tea/coffee on flight with food and that's it.

I want to ask something relating to this.
If i drink say half litre of tap water all ok, however if i have mucho cerveza and need say 2litre fallowing day i can feel my inside out of sort.
I generally just bottle water because of this, i would prefer use tap water as i expect possibly better in long run but i really do not know.
Someone here may be able to enlighten me....

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:49 pm

At San Javier water is 1 Euro a bottle, but only after passing through security into the departure lounge.
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Tue Oct 23, 2018 10:02 am

wollie wrote:Personally i usually do not buy water at any of the airports as i will usually have water in bag and finish at security.
Then i will usually have tea/coffee on flight with food and that's it.
We drink a lot of water and only very occasionally buy a coffee on the plane. We will easily drink a 750ml bottle of water each on the plane. Years ago I was always being nagged for not drinking anything and then I had a dreadful kidney infection. Certainly since living in Spain with the hot summers I now drink at least 2L a day when it's hot.

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Tue Oct 23, 2018 10:28 am

Our last two flights with Ryanair had only their chewy coffee, no milk for it, no tea and water that cost more than a large wine in a UK pub - also no wine unless you were buying one of their meals.
Bringing a small bottle of water on board with us will now be our default setting!
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

wollie
Resident

Postby wollie » Tue Oct 23, 2018 10:50 am

A few years ago i had a sore throat, i had being taking lemon/honey in Spain so i brought some lemon and sugar on the flight.
I told the attendant and to my pleasant surprise she gave me hot water 2 times during the EasyJet flight.

in relation to above i seen a big discussion between steward and passenger as they started opening juty-free they had bought at Airport.
They were so stupid they did not wait for service to start as if they had no-one likely have noticed...

Terry Tibbs
Resident

Postby Terry Tibbs » Wed Oct 24, 2018 11:43 am

It's good that there are now drinking fountains at some airports again. At Malaga they are not at every toilet but (for example) the facilities at the far end of the 'old' Terminal B pier have one. (I still can't get used to calling what I always called the 'new' terminal the 'old' one).

At Gatwick North terminal there is a fair amount of remodelling going on and I couldn't find a water fountain the last time I flew from there. However the Weatherspoons pub (Red Lion) has a drinking water tap (on the right hand side as you walk in, next to the coffee machines) that I used to fill up my bottle.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Wed Oct 24, 2018 2:24 pm

Terry the drinking fountain is behind the toilets next to Wetherspoons. It is in the area where people needing assistance wait, where the golf buggies are. Wasn't easy to find! Perhaps when they've finished the works there may be toilets on the ground floor at the other end and a drinking fountain too!

anyroads
Andalucia Guru

Postby anyroads » Wed Oct 24, 2018 7:38 pm

My wife did find one fountain at Barcelona airport on Sunday last.

They are also at Seville airport.

anyroads