6 month Car hire - Malaga

Looking for information on a place in Andalucia or simply asking for advice on somewhere to visit? Post here and someone out there may know the answer.
Ambre Solaire
Andalucia.com Amigo

6 month Car hire - Malaga

Postby Ambre Solaire » Tue Mar 05, 2019 6:24 pm

Looking to hire a car for 4/6 months Malaga Airport any recommendations please ?

Paddy Pumpkin
Resident

Re: 6 month Car hire - Malaga

Postby Paddy Pumpkin » Tue Mar 05, 2019 7:29 pm

You can't. The law in Spain forbids rental over 28 or 30 days, you have to lease the car...it gets taxed differently so hire car companies don't offer it.

You will have to rent for 1 month at a time and return it and get a new car every month.

Ambre Solaire
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Ambre Solaire » Tue Mar 05, 2019 9:31 pm

Thanks for your response, strange because I just checked Do you Spain website they offer 3 month hire

1bassleft
Resident

Postby 1bassleft » Wed Mar 06, 2019 5:24 am

I have seen longer term rentals offered on the MilAnuncios site (although sharks circle in those waters) and Marbesol have a max rental of 89 days. I have hired cars for >30<40 days in the past without noticing any difference in procedure so it was news to me, too. I just had a quick lookie and couldn't find anything more recent than Documento BOE-A-1995-18544, where capitulo III suggests the paperwork is more laid back for rentals of <1 month. That, and the tax side Paddy talked about, may be why the choices get limited for longer stints.

Before I bought a car, I started getting sick of the local outfits (with one exception) and used Alamo/Enterprise but trying anything longer than 2 months on their site was a bust, and 2 months was a wallet-wringing €3300.

So, I tried the one local firm that I would still use, Cargest. 6 months (late Apr-late Oct) came in at €3300 for a 5dr Ibiza-type car. That said, in the past I've found it worth looking at school holidays and jacked-up flight prices and basing shorter-term hires around them. Off-peak hires can be very low, and it might be a big saving to make separate rentals for the holiday blips (or do without a car in those periods) and monthly stretches for the other times. Worth a monthly trundle to the aiport to try some different models, IMO.

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Wed Mar 06, 2019 8:26 am

I have rented from the airport in the past for 6 weeks during the summer. Never a problem. I think 3 months is available with most of them.

Manchesteral
Resident

Postby Manchesteral » Wed Mar 06, 2019 10:57 am

Last time I stayed in La Carihuela I rented a car for two months one transaction one continuous period, no problem !!

Ambre Solaire
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Ambre Solaire » Thu Mar 07, 2019 11:40 am

Many thanks for the info & advice. Will take another look