dinero

Looking for information on a place in Andalucia or simply asking for advice on somewhere to visit? Post here and someone out there may know the answer.
Paddy Pumpkin
Resident

Re: dinero

Postby Paddy Pumpkin » Sun Aug 04, 2019 2:42 pm

Thanks Parilla

If I got the card is there any way to exchange money at these rates....i.e can I lodge 10k GBP to the card and somehow send EUR out to my Spanish bank account with the money exchanged to EUR and the mastercard rate? Or is this simply the rate they use when I pay the bill in the restaurant?

Parilla
Resident

Postby Parilla » Mon Aug 05, 2019 10:52 am

PP, that's not something I have ever needed to do with the Clarity card so I've no experience to call on, but I think it would be unlikely. As with some other card providers, the T & Cs specifically state that you cannot load the card up into credit, that any funds received in that way will be returned to the source.

Three years ago I had a Saga (Bank of Ireland or Allied Irish) card which did allow "loading up", and I bought a car that way saving myself a good amount as the Visa Europe exchange rates were used. A month later, they changed their T & Cs forbidding the practice !!! Rather churlishly I admit, I cut the card up and sent it back to them.

Parilla

Paddy Pumpkin
Resident

Postby Paddy Pumpkin » Mon Aug 05, 2019 2:26 pm

hmm was worth a try though!

so really for cash from these guys you would end up paying the interest rate of a cash advance. Also you are blind on the rate they use until after the transaction is done.

In that case I will stick with Revolut. Cash and purcahses are done at the spot market rate without any spread and you can see the rate at the time of purchase (of currency or of the goods). YOu can exchange when you want (no waiting to see what the rate is when you happen to be abroad) and you can also wait for a rate by leaving an order with them and they will exchange it for you