Nerja Caves

Looking for information on a place in Andalucia or simply asking for advice on somewhere to visit? Post here and someone out there may know the answer.
Marina
Resident

Nerja Caves

Postby Marina » Wed Aug 03, 2005 2:49 pm

Does anyone know if the caves at Nerja have wheelchair access? If so, do they have wheelchairs available for visitors?
Thanks.

frank
Andalucia Guru

Postby frank » Wed Aug 03, 2005 6:43 pm

I was there a few months ago, I'm fairly sure they don't.
Regards, Frank

No soy residente, simplemente un turista, ¿qué sé yo?

ron
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby ron » Wed Aug 03, 2005 9:08 pm

There is no wheelchair access. Too many steps.

planet homer

Postby planet homer » Thu Aug 04, 2005 11:51 am

Hi. I was there two weeks ago and I can confirm that the caves are completely unsuitable for wheelchairs. There are a lot of steps and inclines, and I feel the authorities would not permit somebody to attempt to struggle with a wheelchair due to the difficulty that would be encountered in the event of an emergency evacuation. Sorry.
Doh!

Marina
Resident

Postby Marina » Thu Aug 04, 2005 6:57 pm

Thanks. I thought this would be the case, but it was worth asking.

silver
Andalucia Guru

Postby silver » Fri Sep 23, 2005 2:17 pm

Not nerja..but beter than nothing
LA CUEVA DE LAS VENTANAS
Refugio Prehistórico
Desde Granada, por la N-323 hasta Iznalloz, donde parte la C-336 que, poco después, se desvía hacia el municipio de Píñar.
También por la N-342 hasta alcanzar el desvío de la carretera N-324, una vez pasado Diezma. Poco más allá, se encuentra la desviación a Moreda y, después, la C-336 hasta Píñar.
La Cueva de las Ventanas puede visitarse todos los días, de 10 a 19 horas , de mayo a octubre y de 11 a 17 horas, de octubre a mayo. La duración de la visita es de una hora con guía especializado. Precio Incluye itinerario en tren desde el pueblo (centro de interpretación) a la cueva.
Tel.- 958 39 47 25 Habilitado para minusválidos físicos.
No muerdes la mano que te da de comer.

Nikvin
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Nikvin » Fri Sep 23, 2005 10:11 pm

well, this isnt really a cave, , a rocky outcrop/overhang that would have provided these ancients with some sort of shelter from the elements, and it is a LONG climb up to it , along a winding path with steps. may be suitable but set off early. all the fully fit adults and kids were exhausted once they reached the top. and that is also after a long drive on a bumpy track.
well it all was 2 years ago, so could have improved dramatically, but i cant imagin it has changed that much, and pushing/pulling a wheelchair up and down, would require quite some strength and stamina

Marina
Resident

Postby Marina » Tue Sep 27, 2005 9:43 pm

Thanks for all the replies.
My son had an operation earlier this Summer and I was looking or things to entertain him. I asked the, very daft really ( blame the vino) question in desperation one evening. However, once he was out of the chair, and walking, we did visit the caves. He loved them. I'm sure I would have too, if I hadn't been puffing and panting so much!