Velez Prices

Looking for information on a place in Andalucia or simply asking for advice on somewhere to visit? Post here and someone out there may know the answer.
MarkF
Resident

Velez Prices

Postby MarkF » Mon Aug 29, 2005 9:34 am

A couple of weeks ago I saw a post saying something along the lines that the prices in Velez were reasonable now but rising rapidly.

Is that right? If so, why? I have an interest as I am intend to move there next summer, I thought the market was flat everywhere. :(

brenda
Resident

Postby brenda » Mon Aug 29, 2005 9:53 am

Velez prices are still much lower than on the coast but have risen recently following a influx of Brit buyers and also ex-pats from other countries. Can email you some current property descriptions and prices if that helps. Still some very cheap properties if you are prepared to do a lot of renovation work - especially in the old town centre.

brenda
Resident

Postby brenda » Mon Aug 29, 2005 10:19 am

Have checked in current edition of local paper and the following properties are advertised for Velez Malaga :-

2 bed town house in need of some reformation - 169,000 Euro
Small 3 bed town house in need of reformation - 127.000 Euro
2 bed town house in town commercial centre - 168,500 Euro
Penthouse 3 bed apartment in residential area with Communal Pool -
300,000 Euro
3 bed, 3 bath town house in residential area with Communal Pool -
348,000 Euro

I did find one real bargain - 2 bed small town house in heart of old town. New kitchen + bathroom but other rooms need work - JUST 69,000 Euro.

Obviously these prices are still much cheaper than in other areas both on the coast and inland but prices have risen considerably as it is now hard to find anything habitable under 120,000 Euros whereas, when we were looking 18 months ago, there were many properties to choose in this price bracket. In my posting of a couple of weeks ago I didn´t mean to insinuate that prices were sky high - just that they had risen; sorry if I gave you the wrong impression.

Good luck with your house hunting - Velez is a lovely place and all our friends that live there have been really welcomed and made to feel at home.

MarkF
Resident

Postby MarkF » Tue Aug 30, 2005 2:41 pm

Thanks for the replies Brenda, if you have any info on Velez, please email it on. :D

I need to be in a reasonable sized town as I will be working for myself and want to rent work space, maybe a garage and I also need good road links. Velez seems to fit the bill and being minutes from the coast is a plus as well!

keddyboy
Resident

Postby keddyboy » Tue Aug 30, 2005 10:56 pm

You could also consider some of the outlying villages, Trapiche or Triana where property will be even cheaper and only 10 minutes away.
Keddyboy
Never do today what you can leave until tomorrow.

Re: Velez Prices

Postby Guest » Wed Aug 31, 2005 3:31 pm

MarkF wrote:A couple of weeks ago I saw a post saying something along the lines that the prices in Velez were reasonable now but rising rapidly.

Is that right? If so, why? I have an interest as I am intend to move there next summer, I thought the market was flat everywhere. :(
I'm currently looking at a 4 bed finca in Algarrobo that's about 5 mins past Velez Mãlaga but before Torrox. it's 7 mins from the nearest, very peaceful beach, it's got water and electricity, OK it needs a bit of work (new Bathroom and kitchen, otherwise it's rock solid, no pool of course but it's less than €180000, and I reckon I can knock them down, I've also seen other cheapies in the area between Velez and Torrox.

neil01

Postby neil01 » Mon Oct 03, 2005 9:48 pm

try zaffarya - but 40 mins away
i have bought in alcaucin but this is not so cheap -probably looking aroung 130000 for a 2 bed apartment

Postby Guest » Tue Oct 25, 2005 12:24 pm

Hi Mark

Prices in Velez have increased sharply over the last two years or so (luckily after I bought my house)! Probably due to the development of the new tramway between Velez and Torre del Mar, expansion of the town in the newer areas on the outskirts of town (there's a lot of building of new apartment blocks going on at present) plus the 'gentrification' of the old town centre which has become much more popular with us Brits.

I paid 95,000 Euros for a 3-bedroom 2 bathroom townhouse in the old town centre in March 2003 (didn't need any structural work but we have redone the kitchen and bathrooms and retiled the patio and outside staircase). Asking prices for similar sized properties now seem to be anything up to about 180,000 Euros, but I have found that there are widely differing asking prices between what seem to be reasonably similar properties, perhaps just the owners chancing their luck. Also if a property remains unsold after six months or a year, the asking price doesn't go down as it would in UK, instead they put it up!

I like the old town centre in Velez very much, but if you need car access it can be a problem as the centre itself (at least the Barrio La Villa) is not accessible by car (scooters and motocycles only, thankfully not many, and a tractor/trailer which can be hired for deliveries of building materials, furniture etc). I've never found it a problem getting furniture or white goods delivered by shops, the delivery men just carry it up the street (eg a 3 seater sofa on one man's back! Health and Safety legislation obviously hasn't reached Spain yet, no namby pamby manual handing regulations here!

I don't live there permanently yet but am hoping to make the move next year.