The Alhambra, Granada

Looking for information on a place in Andalucia or simply asking for advice on somewhere to visit? Post here and someone out there may know the answer.
hillybilly
Andalucia Guru

The Alhambra, Granada

Postby hillybilly » Tue Sep 27, 2005 6:40 pm

Just a warning to anyone who wants to visit the Alhambra -
BOOK YOUR TICKETS WELL IN ADVANCE!
I've been trying to book tickets since the end of last week but the online ticket booking facility was down until yesterday. In hindsight I should have phoned. When I finally got to be able to book tickets online (last night) for this coming Friday or Saturday - there were none available. Bah humbug! Looks like we'll have to visit Sevilla (again!) instead...
Next time I'll book several weeks ahead.

brenda
Resident

Postby brenda » Tue Sep 27, 2005 7:19 pm

Tickets can be booked in advance at many branches of the BBVA Bank

gus
Resident

Postby gus » Tue Sep 27, 2005 10:02 pm

Pop to the Mezquita in Cordoba instead.........mind you, you've probably done that too :-)

Gus

hillybilly
Andalucia Guru

Postby hillybilly » Tue Sep 27, 2005 10:38 pm

Yep, done that though it was some time ago and it was p***ing down with rain the day I went so maybe it's time I revisited!
It's not really for me, it's to entertain a friend but I was looking forward to going to the Alhambra as it's one place I've not yet visited.

hillybilly
Andalucia Guru

Postby hillybilly » Tue Oct 18, 2005 10:48 pm

Finally! Got to visit the Alhambra today. Booked tickets last week for today to coincide with a friend flying into Granada. The only time available for entry to the Nasrid Palace was 5.30pm onwards mind you. The weather was absolutely foul (Sierra Nevadas, what Sierra Nevadas?) but I thought Granada was lovely and the Alhambra fantastic. Shall be returning very very soon, hopefully on a drier day. If you haven't been before either, go. Now!

frank
Andalucia Guru

Postby frank » Tue Oct 18, 2005 11:02 pm

gus wrote:Pop to the Mezquita in Cordoba instead.........mind you, you've probably done that too :-)

Gus
Did it last week, for the second time! Stayed in the Hotel Maimónides, about 5 paces across the street from the Mezquita. Some photos here of Córdoba, http://www.pbase.com/abwhitt/cordoba_spain_2005

We have been to the Alhambra 4 times now, spread over many years, and it's becoming a victim of it's own success. I have always booked online without any problem, but unless you get in early, you'll only be left with the late afternoon slots. Which is not a bad thing, most of the coaches leave for the coast about fourish, and the place empties out a lot.
Some shots from previous visits, http://www.pbase.com/abwhitt/alhambra_granada
Regards, Frank

No soy residente, simplemente un turista, ¿qué sé yo?

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Thu Oct 20, 2005 2:51 pm

Superb fotos Frank! Haven't been there for years but you've now wet my appetite, going to revisit.

angel
Tourist

hotel in cordoba

Postby angel » Thu Oct 20, 2005 11:09 pm

I would be interested to know what the hotel in Cordoba was like?

frank
Andalucia Guru

Postby frank » Fri Oct 21, 2005 9:41 am

Thanks Katy!

Angel, we found it fine. It's 3*, plenty good enough for the time we spent there. We were out all day, so literally only slept and changed there. It's got the usual Tv etc, we never even switched it on! One of the things that influenced me in booking it, is they have their own underground parking (cost you, mind! about €25 for 2 nghts). But like all old Spanish towns, parking is horrendous, better sticking in the car park and forget it. For the Mezquita, Alcaza, Jewish Quarter etc, you can't be more central.
Have a look here for other opinions. Excuse the long link :(
http://www.tripadvisor.com/Search?where ... y=0&ssrc=r
Regards, Frank

frank
Andalucia Guru

Postby frank » Fri Oct 21, 2005 9:47 am

It's definitely not 4*, but I think we only paid €79 one night and €59 for the other night. Strange pricing! There are better hotels there, but for location etc we were happy with the deal.
Regards, Frank