Walking in Axarquia (Sierra Tejeda)

Looking for information on a place in Andalucia or simply asking for advice on somewhere to visit? Post here and someone out there may know the answer.
Jane
Andalucia.com Amigo

Walking in Axarquia (Sierra Tejeda)

Postby Jane » Sun Oct 09, 2005 6:50 pm

Does anyone know of a walking route up to the summit of La Marona (La Casa de la Nieve) the highest point in the Sierra Tejeda, together with an estimate of time, difficulty and distance?
Thanks,
Jane's Husband (I would have posted in my own name but the site doesnt seem to want to actvate my account)

brenda
Resident

Postby brenda » Sun Oct 09, 2005 8:02 pm

Mount maroma is one high mountain and not easily accessible on foot! The Hotel Vinuela arranges occasional walks for varying levels of fitness - see their website for further details.

angel
Tourist

route up Maroma

Postby angel » Sun Oct 09, 2005 11:32 pm

There are two main routes up Maroma from Axarquia.
One is from the natural park area above the village of Alcaucin. This is the most difficult and takes about 7 hours.
The other leaves from the village of Competa and only takes about 5 hours and is a much easier walk. (There are also others from the Granada province that I do not know about)
The walking is all fairly easy, no scrambling really. The only real problem is the altitude (just over 2000m) so things can get nasty if the weather turns bad, which it can do up there very very quickly!

Grouser
Resident

Up Maroma

Postby Grouser » Mon Oct 10, 2005 7:33 pm

Thanks for that Angel. Are your times one way or round trip? Is it easy to locate the path above Competa?
Grouser

angel
Tourist

maroma

Postby angel » Tue Oct 11, 2005 8:57 am

Those are round trip times.
Just outside the village there is a Junta de Andalucia board with the route, there is also a shop in Competa which sells walking leaflets which probably has the route in detail, however it is fairly straight forward.

Dont try and go up at the moment though!!!!

frank
Andalucia Guru

Re: maroma

Postby frank » Tue Oct 11, 2005 9:03 am

angel wrote: there is also a shop in Competa which sells walking leaflets which probably has the route in detail, however it is fairly straight forward.

Dont try and go up at the moment though!!!!
Marco Polo
Calle José Antonio 3, 29754 Cómpeta, Málaga, Spain
Tel: 00 34 (0)95 251 64 23
This shop (just off the main square) stocks local maps and books, including books on walking.
Regards, Frank

No soy residente, simplemente un turista, ¿qué sé yo?

Grouser
Resident

Postby Grouser » Tue Oct 11, 2005 3:36 pm

Dear Angel and Frank, Thanks for the info. I have just been looking at the map, such as it is and notice that Alcaucin is a lot closer to the summit than Competa. What is it about the route from Alcaucin that makes it take so much longer?
Grouser

angel
Tourist

maroma

Postby angel » Tue Oct 11, 2005 9:25 pm

From Alcaucin it is a much steeper climb, with crags and deep valleys that you have to go around. From Competa it is much more direct and gradual.
You are approaching the mountain from the other side completely.

Grouser
Resident

Postby Grouser » Fri Oct 14, 2005 4:54 pm

That's great. The mountain is right in the centre of the view from my terrace and I would love to get up there. Hopefully this will happen on a fine day early in November. Thanks for all your help.
Grouser