Parking in Competa

Looking for information on a place in Andalucia or simply asking for advice on somewhere to visit? Post here and someone out there may know the answer.
Grouser
Resident

Parking in Competa

Postby Grouser » Wed Oct 26, 2005 11:00 am

Help please. Where is the best place to park in Competa for the walks up the mountain to Maroma?
Grouser

brenda
Resident

Postby brenda » Wed Oct 26, 2005 2:41 pm

Large car park half way up hill on your left as you enter Competa off Algarobbo road.

Grouser
Resident

Postby Grouser » Thu Oct 27, 2005 6:54 pm

Thanks for that Brenda,
I suspect this is the parking place I was hoping to avoid. On my one and only previous trip to Competa about two and a half years ago we parked briefly in a car park where we were directed into a space by a very aggressively officious man with obvious learning difficulties, who, I was sure, was going to steal the hub caps at the very least. Lots of arm waving then the hand out for the hand out. Was he official? It's so hard to tell. Is he still there? Or is he like the drunk in the Buffalo car park, moved on to pastures new.
Grouser

brenda
Resident

Postby brenda » Fri Oct 28, 2005 12:46 pm

No-one there the last couple of times we have been to Competa.

soegaard
Tourist

Postby soegaard » Sun Oct 30, 2005 11:41 pm

Well the guy is still there on and off. He is absolutely harmless and is just trying to earn a few cents.
If you park at Plaza Carmen, yuu will be much closer to the national park.
Always room for one more car around there :wink:
Have a nice walk!
Jens-Kristian

frank
Andalucia Guru

Postby frank » Mon Oct 31, 2005 9:18 am

Grouser wrote:Thanks for that Brenda,
I suspect this is the parking place I was hoping to avoid..
He's certainly not official, just promising to look after your car for a small fee.
He's been there a long time, many years! But as Brenda says, I don't think he was there last time we went either. I never used to pay him anyway, and he never trashed our car! :D I've struggled to park there the last few times we have been, it's full of bloody Brits! :D
Regards, Frank

No soy residente, simplemente un turista, ¿qué sé yo?

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Mon Oct 31, 2005 12:14 pm

It has got a bit of a tourist thing now but in many places its custom and practice. eg. the guy knows who is in the offices/shops around and where he can direct you to double park. The police collude with him and if its getting too congested they blow a whistle for you to move them. Its funny seeing all the women running out of the hairdressers with gown and wet hair to move their cars. The local cafes usually give the guy a sandwich as well.

frank
Andalucia Guru

Postby frank » Mon Oct 31, 2005 7:44 pm

soegaard wrote:Well the guy is still there on and off.
He's probably made that much money, he's semi retired! :D I never saw many people refuse him money.
Regards, Frank

No soy residente, simplemente un turista, ¿qué sé yo?

poppylou
Andalucia.com Amigo

Yes, he's back

Postby poppylou » Sat Nov 05, 2005 7:21 pm

Yes, the chap in the car park is back. I am told he ran away with the circus in the summer when they came to town, but has recently shown up again.

As previously said, he is quite harmless. Last night, in return for his "parking fee", he accompanied us to the car after our first shopping expedition, taking the trolley back to the supermarket for us. On our second trip back to the car, he insisted on helping with the carrier bags we were struggling with!

fincalospinos
Resident

Postby fincalospinos » Mon Nov 07, 2005 4:26 pm

The guys name in the car park is Cele and, as stated in previous posts, he is very helpful and totally harmless. He is part of a large family who look after each other, so any "donations" are, I am sure, very welcome.
There are two new car parks in Competa, both very accessible and plenty of room. To find them, drive past the bus stop and Tourist Information office towards Canillas del Albaida. After approx half a mile you will see a turn on your right into the village, the car parks are on your right. As with most of Competa, the walk into the centre is uphill, but not too demanding.
Hardworking resident !!