Trip to Barcelona

Looking for information on a place in Andalucia or simply asking for advice on somewhere to visit? Post here and someone out there may know the answer.
Jade138
Resident

Trip to Barcelona

Postby Jade138 » Thu Oct 27, 2005 11:56 am

Oh my God, seeing is believing. Was surfing on the Internet for information pertaining to the above when I chanced upon this site. Wow!

My friends and I are keen in making a trip to Barcelona for a few days in late November. Some of us live in Puerto and some in Chiclana. Except for hubby and I, the rest are above 60 years old. As at time of writing this post, 6 of us will be going.

According to hearsay, there is a luxury train operating from Cadiz to Barcelona but I am not sure or how to source for the information. Amongst us, our Spanish is appalling really :oops:

Have any forumers tried the train service before and what do you think?
Is there a cheaper way to travel to Barcelona from here?

Is it true that any passenger aged 60 and above is entitled to 40% discount of of the train fare?

We need either a 3 or 4* star hotel in a convenient location as we will not be renting cars.

Any places of interests that we shouldn't missed?. The guys will be more on a drinking spree whereas the ladies can literally paint the town red. :lol: We are also interested in the theaters (ie) play, musical and drama etc

Are we better off booking with a local travel agency or via the Internet?

Would appreciate any tips please. Thanks in advance.

Apology so many questions in my first posting Oh boy, quick whilst I am ahead :oops:
Have a safe and wonderful day. Cheerios.
Friends multiply joy and divide sorrow

curatokid
Resident

Postby curatokid » Thu Oct 27, 2005 6:11 pm

The trains can be booked online with RENFE it is in English and very good, I found it to be very expensive for the long trips and much cheaper to fly, in your case Jerez to Barca, it is an amazing city the best way to see it is to use the open top tourist bus, we visited all the sights including the amazing football stadium, try and spend some time in the city centre it is buzzing, have a good trip.

Lorraine - Mijas
Resident

Postby Lorraine - Mijas » Thu Oct 27, 2005 8:50 pm

We also did the open top tour bus, it's a great way to see the city but don't do your sight seeing on a Sunday as most of the tourist sights are closed, also if you want to see the football stadium make sure Barca aren't playing at home that day as obviously you can't go inside. Lovely city, most of the sight's are spread out a long way apart so if you've no transport the open bus is a must, as it covers all the must see places. You buy a ticket which lasts 24hrs and just hop on and off at all the different sights.
Lorraine

Jade138
Resident

Postby Jade138 » Thu Oct 27, 2005 9:03 pm

Howdy Curatokid and Lorriane, Good evening.
Thank you very much for the very informative advice and taking the trouble to post. :P
I am going to check out with RENFE and see what's on offer.

Alan
Tourist

Postby Alan » Fri Oct 28, 2005 8:57 am

You would be much better off both in your pocket and your bones by flying from Sevilla with Vueling. 6 return flights at the end of November will cost you around 500 euros and give you a lot more time to spend in Barcelona.

The train is a tiring journey in my opinion. I took the overnight express from Malaga at around 8.30 pm a few years ago and will always remember the conversation with the barman just after we boarded before the train left the station.

"Do we have to reserve tables for dinner?"

"How many people, sir?"

"There are 7 of us."

"I only have 6 meals I'm afraid, but I can share it out to cater for you!"

Bear in mind the train left from Malaga and there must have been a couple of hundred people on board. When we took our reserved places in the buffet car it was hilarious (not for the other passengers) to see everyone wanting to dine turned away with a polite smile from the barman and a shrug of the shoulders and a helpful "We do have crisps and Kit Kats if that will help?" :lol:

accommodation-in-spain
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby accommodation-in-spain » Fri Oct 28, 2005 12:09 pm

Barcelona is an amazing city, musts to see are the Gaudi park, the Cathedral (La Seu) and you really must have a meal on Las Ramblas - it is expensive but it has an amazing atmosphere! Ooohh and there is Gaudi's house and the football stadium as someone else has already sent.

We travelled around the city via the Metro which is amazingly cheap and really easy to use (much easier than Londons underground).

Have a wonderful time.

gus
Resident

Postby gus » Fri Oct 28, 2005 9:43 pm

For hotels, you could do worse than check out the www dot bancotel dot com site.
It prices hotels, when available, in 50 euro slots. I have used this now several times in Spain and always had 4* hotels at 50 euros per room per night.

You can normally book at local travel agents using this system and pay for your vouchers in advance.

Gus

Jade138
Resident

Postby Jade138 » Fri Oct 28, 2005 10:41 pm

Curatokid and Alan, all of us would like to try out the train services. Was told it is equivalent to the Oriental Express :shock: If I am not mistaken the train fare is about 250 Euros each. I am unable to confirm at this juncture as the lady involved is away.

Suffice to say, flying is cheaper and more convenient but hubby's ambition is to be a train driver thus this would be a dream come true in inverted commas. :lol: Hehehehehehe and hola to the poor rickety bones :P

Alan, I am sorry to hear about your experience :oops: Keeping my fingers crossed that the services and food have improved by leaps and bounds.

Jade138
Resident

Postby Jade138 » Fri Oct 28, 2005 10:49 pm

Accommodation-in-Spain and Gus, I have checked up on the link provided http://www.bancotel.es/esp/index.htm

Can someone please recommend which town I should select for hotel accomodation please?.
We need a place that's convenient to do the touristy bits.

Shall discuss with the others on the places of interests recommended.

Muchas gracias.

Jade138
Resident

Postby Jade138 » Fri Oct 28, 2005 10:59 pm

I appreciate very much for the help given to a newbie like me. If any of you ladies and gentlemen happened to be in the neighbourhood, do let me know. We can go out for a pint or two, food and if anyone is interested, golf too (Disclaimer, I try to play).

Cheerios.

bored to tears
Tourist

Postby bored to tears » Sat Oct 29, 2005 2:05 pm

Can someone please recommend which town I should select for hotel accomodation please?.

duh ......... its your thread about Barcelona???

Jade138
Resident

Postby Jade138 » Sat Oct 29, 2005 2:42 pm

Hola Bored, under the town 'Barcelona' for hotel bookings, there is a drop stipulating more than 29 'towns' in Barcelona for me to select.
:roll:

I am not silly to ask a stupid question, stupid is in not asking for clarifications. :lol:

The query was made based on tips given to me by the forummers pertaining to places of interests suggested. Thanks.

bored to tears
Tourist

Postby bored to tears » Sat Oct 29, 2005 3:10 pm

29 'towns' in Barcelona for me to select.

no - 29 towns in the region of catalonia!! barcelona is one of those.. click on Barcelona.. simple

if its too difficult for you - just go to expedia they have all the hotels on a map.

Jade138
Resident

Postby Jade138 » Wed Nov 02, 2005 10:38 pm

Thanks for all the tips and advices given. Trip is postponed for now. Cheers.