Good and Bad!

Looking for information on a place in Andalucia or simply asking for advice on somewhere to visit? Post here and someone out there may know the answer.
katy
Andalucia Guru

Good and Bad!

Postby katy » Sun Oct 30, 2005 11:58 am

Spent a few days with friends staying around the costa de La Luz. Casa deCalifa and some others (found on Andalucia.com) were excellent. Others I wonder how they get their star rating. One 4 star in Puerto de Santa Maria was awful, could use the word tired for decor but was actually exhausted, it was a dump. Gimmics like choice of 6 mattresses but the photos on the internet were deceiving.

Another a 5 star near Sevilla advertises as one of the leading hotels in the world!! Rooms from 200 euros a night, our suite brought back memories of living in a student bedsit.

Drink prices were a little less than the costa del sol with the exception of Fuengirola but not much difference with food. the food at the Califa in Vejer is very good, but overall find the food around here much more imaginative.

One I should mention as a rip off joint is a beach place here in Marbella. Our friends insisted on going yesterday lunch. childrens meals are a minimum of 15 euros for a burger. Bread an extra 4 euros and a side order of "chunky chips" (4) 4.50 euros. A waiter circulates all the time with a large bread basket implying that its unlimited. The next table were complaining as they had unknowingly run up quite a large bill by being charged 4 euro a roll. Still they do advertise in the Daily mail every day so suppose they need to sell a lot of bread for that payment!

frank
Andalucia Guru

Postby frank » Sun Oct 30, 2005 1:05 pm

Glad you enjoyed Casa del Califa, Katy. Apart from breakfast, we only had one evening meal there, and we had the morroccan menu, and thoroughly enjoyed it.
Regards, Frank

No soy residente, simplemente un turista, ¿qué sé yo?

kevin77
Resident

Postby kevin77 » Sun Oct 30, 2005 7:17 pm

Existen hojas de reclamaciones a disposición del cliente..

I usually find that if I am being ripped off and ask for this, the *beep* really hits the fan.
Takes a bit of time to fill in, and you have to use your own biro obviously, but you usually find that your bill has been revised before you have filled in name and address etc.

frank
Andalucia Guru

Postby frank » Mon Oct 31, 2005 9:21 am

kevin77 wrote:Existen hojas de reclamaciones a disposición del cliente..

I usually find that if I am being ripped off and ask for this, the *beep* really hits the fan.
Takes a bit of time to fill in, and you have to use your own biro obviously, but you usually find that your bill has been revised before you have filled in name and address etc.
Good for you! Never had the nerve to ask for it myself, I'm sure we've had some meals that deserved to be entered on the book! :D
Regards, Frank

No soy residente, simplemente un turista, ¿qué sé yo?

Alan-LaCala
Resident

Postby Alan-LaCala » Mon Oct 31, 2005 9:44 am

Had to threaten to complain in Al Campo last Friday. We have been waiting for a table and 6 chairs to be delivered since 19th September, and every time we enquire, just get shriuged shoulders.

So on Friday, I asked for the complaints book, got a manager instead, and a promise to deliver this morning.

Well it's only 9.45, so we will see.

I probably won't hold my breath.

Alan
Remember that everything that Fred Astaire did, Ginger Rogers did too; except she did it backwards and wearing high heels!

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Mon Oct 31, 2005 12:06 pm

I have asked for the hoja before concerning a car repair and got a refund. I did have to go to the consumer office though after the ten day wait and sometimes this isn't convenient if the place isn't local. I also filled out the hoja at Boulanger in La cañada because they assured me they carried stocks of bags for te vacum cleaner I bought (they didn't!) but I lost the claim because they denied having said they did.

My complaints weren't really relevant if you read the hoja. Saying the decor was shabby could be put down to personal taste as is value for money. As for the rip off joint on the beach, probably so are about 80% of establishments now in one way or another. Although if I had been one of the people who had taken the offer of xtra bread at 4 euros I would have refused to pay.

I do think the tourist authority should clamp down because people are stopping visiting. Even if you are very rich (and I'm not) you don't like to feel you have been ripped off. Many rich madrileños who come down have stopped eating out as much ane go to the chinese places.

Alan-LaCala
Resident

Postby Alan-LaCala » Mon Oct 31, 2005 5:55 pm

Well it's only 9.45, so we will see.
They promised delivery in the morning, and it turned up at 2.30pm, but I have been here long enough now to know that that is late morning.

Alan
Remember that everything that Fred Astaire did, Ginger Rogers did too; except she did it backwards and wearing high heels!

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Mon Oct 31, 2005 7:48 pm

Congratulations!! La tarde is another, expect them around 9.45pm.