Skiing in Sierra Nevada

Looking for information on a place in Andalucia or simply asking for advice on somewhere to visit? Post here and someone out there may know the answer.
poshtotti
Andalucia.com Amigo

Skiing in Sierra Nevada

Postby poshtotti » Mon Oct 31, 2005 2:09 pm

We've got friends visiting from the Middle East who have never seen snow :roll: They are coming over in December & we were thinking about taking them to Sierra Nevada........I've never been skiing but spectated from the bar :wink: I hate heights & the idea of a ski lift

Is the skiing in Sierra Nevada suitable for beginners?
Are there any hotels anyone recommends? or are would we benefit more from self catering accommodation?
Is the night life lively?

I'd appreciate any comments & experiences.........

Thanks

Marina
Resident

Postby Marina » Mon Oct 31, 2005 4:48 pm

I don't know about the nightlife, but the skiing is suitable for beginners.

If you are thinking of self catering accommodation, I would start looking now as there is surprisingly little choice. We ended up in a truly awful place last year, though it looked lovely on the website! We've booked somewhere different this year, so I have my fingers crossed that it is better. I will send you a PM with the name of a villa which looks very nice, but unfortunately is booked at the time we want to go.

I imagine the hotels would be nice, but are too expensive for our family of five.

Nicks
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Nicks » Tue Nov 01, 2005 2:42 pm

Yes, nice nursery slopes for beginners. We stayed self-catering at Hotel Trevenique - not the cheapest but accommodation was very good. Set to the side of the main resort, so only a short walk to the lifts and close to restaurants, shops etc...

ron
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby ron » Tue Nov 01, 2005 10:07 pm

I took my sister, brother-in-law and three nieces skiing there for their first experience and they all enjoyed it. We stayed on the coast and drove in so can't help about accommodation, however, driving in was easy.
The nursery slopes are up a gondola and they used the button lifts when they were up there, which kept their feet on the ground. :wink:
I don't like heights either but skiing and ski lifts cured me, mind you going potholing cured me of claustrophobia :? !