Caution re parking at Liverpool

Looking for information on a place in Andalucia or simply asking for advice on somewhere to visit? Post here and someone out there may know the answer.
alisonb
Resident

Caution re parking at Liverpool

Postby alisonb » Fri Nov 18, 2005 11:07 am

We flew out to Malaga from Liverpool recently, having prepaid for parking with BCP. Instructions are that you insert the credit/debit card you have booked with at the barrier and it lets you in.

The booking confirmation doesn't show which card you used - not even the last 4 digits. At the barrier, I inserted my debit card and it showed "card not recognised". Although I thought I had booked with this, I assumed I was wrong and put in my credit card which was accepted straight away, and off we went (for the first time with Ryanair - which was better than I expected)

On checking my credit card statement, I was charged £46.90 for 6 days parking, despite having already paid £26.95 to BCP.

BCP tell me there are occasions when the e-booking information doesn't get to Liverpool. If I send them a copyof my credit card statement they will ask Liverpool to refund it, less a £10 administration charge. So because of a failure of communication between Liverpool Airport and BCP I am being charged £10

I have now cancelled all my subsequent bookings with BCP, but be aware if you are booking parking at Liverpool with BCP - don't get caught out

Alison
AlisonB

jaycock

Re: Caution re parking at Liverpool

Postby jaycock » Fri Nov 18, 2005 11:39 am

Also be aware when picking up passengers from Liverpool. I inadvertantly drove into the car park through the 'long stay' gate, even though the same car park is for long or short stay. On picking up passengers, I proceeded to put the ticket in the leaving gate, but it would not accept it. i had only been there 10 minutes, so it should have been free. After a while an attendant came, and advised me that because i had taken a ticket on entry from the 'long stay' booth, rather than the 'short stay' booth, then I had to pay £3.50. As there was a long queue by now behind me, and it was raining, I could not go back into the terminal to the ticket machine so I had to insert a credit card into the exit gate which is something I would have preferred not to do. :evil:

Beware - since an attack on a car driver there last year, Liverpool Airport have gone completely over the top with dropping off and picking up regulations, and seem to emply an army of people to stop you parking. They really should have looked at Manchester airport's dropping off area as an example before building the new terminal. :cry:

Also beware - if it's raining heavily, you will be drenched by the time you get into the terminal, then get a further soaking walking across the tarmac to the plane. Not very pleasant everyone sitting in wet steaming clothes for 2 hours on a plane to spain. :cry:
jaycock

LEONARDO
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby LEONARDO » Fri Nov 18, 2005 3:51 pm

I use Liverpool airport carpark regularly I never put my credit card into the gate but get a ticket then on my return I go to the box by the exit gate and produce my paper work and get it stamped in order to leave I once asked the attendant about using my credit card and he told me not to do it because they have a lot of problems with some operators software. As far as going in the long stay car park instead of the short stay they are clearly signposted as you enter the approach road i always use the short stay to unload my luggage before moving to the long stay park.

Leonardo

paulellis
Andalucia.com Amigo

caution- parking at Liverpool

Postby paulellis » Fri Nov 18, 2005 5:27 pm

It is not just Liverpool, we had exactly the same experience having booked parking with BCP at Luton.

There was nearly a cat fight at the exit gate between two female drivers, one of whom couldn't exit, despite having pre-paid ticket.

If this is common with BCP at most airports, seems one hell of a way to make a few extra quid!

Paul

oliveview01
Andalucia Guru

Postby oliveview01 » Fri Nov 18, 2005 11:45 pm

also at Liverpool airport beware of the car hire folk. Europecar charged us 44.00 (pounds) extra for a chipped windscreen, which wasn´t, but as there was no one to check the car as we left it we couldn´t prove it. We only found out when we got the credit card bill and hubby rang to ask what it was all about. We went over the car and there was not an extra mark there, plenty already there and on the paperwork. So next time we have a hire car we will drag the folk out from their desk to check it with us and will not leave without it being checked in. They have said they will look into it, but we do not hold out any hope of a refund. It is so annoying that a company can be so dishonest, they did not even have the manners to email or ring to say about the charge! a big chip they said, for goodness sake you would notice a big chip and hear it happen wouldn´t you?? Had the chip been there ok, but it wasn´t... I hate being had by cheats :x

kevin77
Resident

Postby kevin77 » Sat Nov 19, 2005 1:21 am

Eeeh, come on now, caaalm down! Noo Way are scousers dishonest!!

JAWG
Resident

Postby JAWG » Sat Nov 19, 2005 5:43 pm

kevin77 wrote: Noo Way are scousers dishonest!!
Being from the colonies, what is a "scouser"?
John G
Ottawa, ON, Canada

kevin77
Resident

Postby kevin77 » Sat Nov 19, 2005 6:14 pm

These are scousers:
[img] www.psychol.ucl.ac.uk/john.draper/scousers.jpg
[/img]

kevin77
Resident

Postby kevin77 » Sat Nov 19, 2005 6:34 pm

more views from John Lennon airport

Postby Guest » Sat Nov 19, 2005 9:45 pm

It's interesting to note that during the period when Liverpool played football in Turkey last year shoplifting in Liverpool dropped by 60% but strangely :wink: rose by 60% in Istanbul!!

keddyboy
Resident

Postby keddyboy » Sun Nov 20, 2005 7:36 pm

There is nothing wrong with Liverpool Airport apart from thre fact its in Liverpool!! Last time I went there all the hire car kiosks were closed and there was more taxis in the ranks than runway!!!
Keddyboy
Never do today what you can leave until tomorrow.

geegee
Resident

Postby geegee » Wed Dec 14, 2005 6:32 pm

Oy you lot - I was born and grew up in Liverpool so I am the only one allowed to slag scousers off here!! Sadly most of it is true, I can quite believe the one about shoplifting statistics!!

However, re car hire rip-off, EUROPCAR are the absolute pits and their malpractice is widespread. Malaga branch charged to my credit card nearly £2,000 to replace a sump that sprung a leak on a cheap saloon car, refused to give us a replacement car even though we had paid for another week, turned up 6 hours late, loaded the car onto the trailer and refused to give us a lift back to the coast - left 2 women stranded on the mountainside above Alora as darkness fell with not a care for their safety. We went to complain at Malaga - having had to call my friends sister 60km away to come and collect us - and got treated like scum. They were extremely rude and unpleasant, refused to give us a copy of the invoice from the garage to prove they had indeed spend 2k (yeah right) and essentially dismissed our complaints out of hand.

Apparently, the fact that we had driven on a (perfectly servicable) track that was not surfaced with tarmac invalidated our insurance terms (small print, in spanish) and gave them licence to treat us in this toally unacceptable way. Even driving into a restaurant carpark that was gravelled would have invalidated the insurance!

The same week, my friend's sister, who had also hired through europcar, was charged 50 quid to repair a punctured tire that was in the boot, which she had never used - in fact, she had never even opened the boot!!

Morals of the tale:

* Never use the theiving sods Europecar
* check the fine print of your hire agreement
* never drive on un-tarmacced roads (limits your options somewhat in Spain)
* check the state of the spare tire and everything else you can think of before accepting the car.

alisonb
Resident

Postby alisonb » Wed Dec 14, 2005 10:37 pm

We almost always hire with Record and they offer additional insurance at the airport. It's about 3 euros per day, but covers all the bits that aren't covered with the standard insurance - wheels, tyres and the underneath. It seems that in insurance terms, if you damage anything underneath, it's down to driving where you shouldn't. Since our house is 3km up a track, it's always seemed worthwhile.

I have in the past used other companies (including Crown at Granada), and haven't been offered it anywhere else.

With Crown at Granada - where their office is on the petrol station forecourt, we drove in, had it filled up as per their instructions, drove 20 yards and were told it wasn't full. We went back and got another 80 cents worth of petrol in. So never again with them! As I say, we've never had a problem with Record, including when a dustbin threw itself into the road and totally removed my wing mirror!

And to go back to my original post, I've complained to BCP and as yet haven't seen a penny of my £46 back

And totally off tack - have just got back after a 23 hour delay at Malaga airport with Jet2. Repair took about 30 minutes, but it took 20 hours to get engineer there from Manchester.
AlisonB

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru
Location: Alhaurin el Grande since 99, cartama campo since 2022

Postby spanish_lad » Thu Jan 05, 2006 10:11 pm

geegee wrote:Oy you lot - I was born and grew up in Liverpool so I am the only one allowed to slag scousers off here!!...
would you expect your car hire agreement to be in english if you went to france? or germany? or italy? i dont think so.

and er, didn´t you know about the non-tarmac roads thing?

and er, 2k for a sump? what else was on the invoice, sumps dont just "spring a leak", they crack. they only crack when they have been hit. hard. on a lump. normally found on un-tarmaced roads. sumps dont crack on non-existant lumps on flat roads. they crack on big pot holes on dirt tracks.

and er, normal insurance (in spain, or the uk, or i´d expect anywhere else) doesn´t cover "break-downs".. why should hire car insurance? the car you hired was obviously in good condition when u took it away from the carpark.. it wasn´t when it got back. that says u broke it, so u got to pay.
Alhaurin el Grande since 99, working at the airport since 2011.

geegee
Resident

Postby geegee » Mon Jan 16, 2006 7:05 pm

Thanks Alison B for the recommendation, will pass it on to friends in future

To answer Spanish Lad's queries...or should I say sarcastic comments:

'would you expect your car hire agreement to be in english if you went to france? or germany? or italy? i dont think so'

Actually most car companies on the CDS do offer this service precisely because many visitors here are not fluent in Spanish - I read it pretty well but the pertinent clause was conspicuous by its absence. When this was pointed out to the staff at EC they chose to ignore it.

'and er, didn´t you know about the non-tarmac roads thing? '

No - why would I if it is not in the Agreement?

'and er, 2k for a sump? what else was on the invoice, sumps dont just "spring a leak", they crack. they only crack when they have been hit. hard. on a lump. normally found on un-tarmaced roads. sumps dont crack on non-existant lumps on flat roads. they crack on big pot holes on dirt tracks. '

If you read my post you will see they refused to give me a copy of the invoice from the garage, but told me verbally the sump was cracked and that was why they were charging me 2k, they claimed no other damage. There was no obvious crunch as I drove along and no big potholes, its possible it was a riccocheting sharp stone as there was some loose stuff - which incidently. can also happen on tarmaced roads.

'and er, normal insurance (in spain, or the uk, or i´d expect anywhere else) doesn´t cover "break-downs".. why should hire car insurance? the car you hired was obviously in good condition when u took it away from the carpark.. it wasn´t when it got back. that says u broke it, so u got to pay.'

Again read the post - it was mid-hire and yes the company were obliged under the terms of the policy to provide both breakdown cover and a replacement car - neither of which they provided because of this hidden clause. I cannot say what condition the sump was in when I took it away from the carpark, funnily enough, I am not in the habit of checking. I may well have broke it but you are missing the point - which was to warn others about these hidden clauses adn to castigate the company for abandoning women up a mountain in the dark, extortionate overcharging and offering customers no more curtesy than you would offer a dog turd!

Elaine
Tourist

On a lighter note

Postby Elaine » Thu Feb 09, 2006 12:33 am

The Ferrari formula 1 team fired their entire pit crew yesterday.
The announcement followed Ferrari's decision to take advantage of the UK Government's youth opportunity scheme and employ people from Liverpool.

The decision to hire them was brought on a recent documentary on how unemployed youths from Liverpool area were able to remove a set of wheels in less than 6 Seconds without proper equipment, whereas Ferrari's existing crew can only do it in 8 seconds with millions of euros worth of high tech equipment.

However, Ferrari may have got more than they bargained for.
At the crew's first practice session the Liverpool pit crew successfully changed the Tyre's in under 6 seconds, but within 12 seconds they had re-sprayed, re-badged, and sold the vehicle to the McLaren team for 8 bottles of Stella, a kilo of speed and some photos of Montoyas bird in the shower.

And before any one takes offence I am a Scouser

Shukran
Resident

Postby Shukran » Thu Feb 09, 2006 12:23 pm

Thanks Elaine for the best laugh I've had this week. Most scousers wouldn't take offence as they usually have a great sense of humour and have learnt to laugh at themselves. I was born in the north and have lived in the Liverpool area at one time so can appreciate the joke. :lol:
Since I gave up hope I feel much better!

Midnight Rambler

Postby Midnight Rambler » Thu Feb 09, 2006 12:54 pm

Thanks Elaine, that was great, I had to be careful though and not lose control, I almost bought a around, cheers!