New Motorway around Motril area

Looking for information on a place in Andalucia or simply asking for advice on somewhere to visit? Post here and someone out there may know the answer.
RobinP

New Motorway around Motril area

Postby RobinP » Mon Nov 21, 2005 6:43 pm

Hi Folks,

does anybody know the exact route of the new motorway both along the coast from Nerja to Almeria, and also the connection up to Granada from Motril? Or even where one would have to go to get such information.

I'm currently looking for a house in the area, and different estate agents seem to have different ideas about the route. Of course I'd like to make sure my new house isn't going to be promptly flattened, while also being reasonably close for the connections.

Cheers for any help,

Robin.

LEONARDO
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby LEONARDO » Tue Nov 22, 2005 9:50 am

This map shows the motorway under construction from Nerja to Solebrena & from Adra to La Rabita + a short setion at Castell de Ferro also the road from Granada to Motril, there does not seem to be an agreed route to link these up yet as our pwwm said in a recent posting on this very same subject.

http://www.viamichelin.com/viamichelin/ ... mage2.y=12

Leonardo :!: :?: :shock: :D

Nicks
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Nicks » Tue Nov 22, 2005 12:17 pm

When we drove through to La Herradura, near Almeria we could see them building the new section of the motorway, so something is happening, but it was not finished yet.

LEONARDO
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby LEONARDO » Tue Nov 22, 2005 12:27 pm

Excuse me for correcting you Nicks but La Herradura is not near to Almeria but about 150km away. Its nearer to Malaga.

Leonardo :shock: :roll:

ian.wilson
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby ian.wilson » Tue Nov 22, 2005 7:17 pm

La Heradura is actually about 15km from Almuñeca quite a way from Malaga.
Oh Yes! another day in paradise!

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Tue Nov 22, 2005 8:01 pm

ian.wilson wrote:La Heradura is actually about 15km from Almuñeca quite a way from Malaga.
La Herradura is only 4km from Almunecar. It is 115 from Almeria and 60 from Malaga.

Sid

(Who lives there!)

Nicks
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Nicks » Tue Nov 22, 2005 10:52 pm

oooops ok, been put in my place...!!!

silver
Andalucia Guru

Postby silver » Wed Nov 23, 2005 1:12 pm

Is this the motorway you are talking about..autovía del Mediterráneo (A-7) entre Adra (Almería) y Nerja (Málaga) estará prácticamente terminada en el 2008, quedando tan sólo un tramo para el primer semestre del año 2009.
No muerdes la mano que te da de comer.

RobinP

Postby RobinP » Wed Nov 23, 2005 1:44 pm

Hi Silver,

yes, that's the one, and also the further extension of the A44 from Granada down to Motril.

Postby Guest » Wed Nov 23, 2005 2:42 pm

To add to the confusion here and increase the tension level, there are more than 40 places in Spain bearing the name La Herradura, confused, I am!

ian.wilson
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby ian.wilson » Wed Nov 23, 2005 6:52 pm

But this is the one that was famous in the sixties & seventies near Almuñeca.
Oh Yes! another day in paradise!

Peter
Andalucia.com Amigo

I Live There

Postby Peter » Fri Jan 06, 2006 11:12 am

The section Nerja to La Herradura should have been open in Feb but all work on the new motorway has stopped after the bridge collapse in Almunecar, the section between La Herradura and Motril is under construction and is easily identifiable on the ground, from Motril to Almeria is as yet undecided, from Motril to Granada is well on the way and the route can be seen on the ground, if you are thinking of buying a house a map is useless, for instance there are a lot of long tunnels and you could purchase a house on top of it and not even know there was a motorwat around you !!! get out and ferret around and don't listen to anyone, the reason being that even when the route is decided if they encounter geographical problems they re-routs as they did on the Nerja to Herradura section.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Fri Jan 06, 2006 8:09 pm

The motorway stretch between Nerja and La Herradura is progressing fast and certainly has not been stopped due to the problems on the Almunecar viaducts. All the Armco has now been installed on the last stretch.

The work on the two viaducts in Almunecar has stopped for the time being but the rest is continuing.

The only problem that might delay opening of the Nerja/La Herradura secrtion is the connection of the existing motorway to the new one at Maro.

Sid

Peter
Andalucia.com Amigo

Stopped

Postby Peter » Fri Jan 06, 2006 9:50 pm

Stopped means stopped, go up to the site and you will see.

Peter
Andalucia.com Amigo

Stopped

Postby Peter » Fri Jan 06, 2006 9:52 pm

Just one more thing 'EL Cid' you seem to give answers to so many questions, 'what you don't know is not worth knowing' springs to mind, where are you based anyway.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Re: Stopped

Postby El Cid » Sat Jan 07, 2006 8:37 am

Peter wrote:Stopped means stopped, go up to the site and you will see.
I overlook the motorway site at the La Herradura exit so I can see exactly what is going on. They have not been working recently because they get a 2 week break at Xmas. The only place where work has been stopped due to the accident is on the second phase behind Almunecar and this will continue until the inquiry has sorted out the reason for the accident.

Work on the Maro/La Herradura stretch will start again on Monday.

Sid

frank
Andalucia Guru

Re: Stopped

Postby frank » Sat Jan 07, 2006 10:34 am

Peter wrote:Just one more thing 'EL Cid' you seem to give answers to so many questions, 'what you don't know is not worth knowing' springs to mind, where are you based anyway.
I overlook the motorway site at the La Herradura exit so I can see exactly what is going on.

Looks to me like he is perfectly placed to give an informed opinion on what is happening, perhaps what he says is worth knowing.
Regards, Frank

No soy residente, simplemente un turista, ¿qué sé yo?

Mariposa
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Mariposa » Sat Jan 07, 2006 8:32 pm

I live very close to the Almunecar motorway. There was some activity just before the holiday and some of the girders were cut up and taken away for examination, photos, tests etc. General opinion seems to be that work will resume again next week, but as they haven't finished clearing the site yet, it may be a while before the bridge is repaired. As the cement making equipment cannot be used at the moment there won't be a lot they can do.
Having watched the accident happen, we in the valley are still recovering from the shock of seeing and hearing six men die.
However we had ajusted to the building noise until then, we are now ajusting to the quiet-it'll be quite difficult when they start again.

RobinP

Map, Map, I've seen a map

Postby RobinP » Tue Jan 31, 2006 8:12 pm

Yes folks, to partially answer my own question, I've now seen an official map of the area near Motril. Apparently these maps are only available to people who actually live in the affected area, hey I thought this was supposed to be public information, go figure. Anyway, the map shows that the T where the route down from Granada meets the coast motorway will be situated just north of the tunnel at La Gorgoracha, on the old road from Motril to Velez de Benaudalla. Placing that then gives a good idea of where the rest of the motorway will have to go to join up with what's already there.

Hope this is useful,

Cheers,

Robin.