Car Boot Sales

Looking for information on a place in Andalucia or simply asking for advice on somewhere to visit? Post here and someone out there may know the answer.
redsoxbrit
Resident

Car Boot Sales

Postby redsoxbrit » Sat Dec 10, 2005 9:41 am

Does anybody know if there are any carboot sales in or around Coin-I'm getting withdrawal symptons........? :twisted:

avellana
Resident

Postby avellana » Sat Dec 10, 2005 5:22 pm

The biggest regular car boot sales are Fuengirola on Saturday mornings, Nerja on Sunday mornings and Benalmadena on Wednesday mornings.
Fuengirola - recinto ferial Los Boliches
Nerja - near Urbanizaciones Almijara 11 and 111
Benalmadena - Parque La Paloma

Kelly4
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Kelly4 » Mon Dec 12, 2005 7:20 pm

Are these all proper car boot sales or have they been hijacked by normal market stalls selling new goods?

Cheers,

Kelly

brenda
Resident

Postby brenda » Mon Dec 12, 2005 10:05 pm

Nerja is still a traditional car boot. Not as conveniently situated/quite as many stalls though now it has moved to below San Juan Capistrano rather than in the town centre where it used to be.

avellana
Resident

Postby avellana » Mon Dec 12, 2005 11:55 pm

As far as I'm aware all car boot stalls have had to get rid of sellers with new goods - hence no Moroccan or South American stalls.

sick and tired
Andalucia.com Amigo

car boot

Postby sick and tired » Tue Dec 13, 2005 7:11 pm

try alhaurin el grande on sunday mornings full of ex pats selling crap

cannydanny

Postby cannydanny » Tue Dec 13, 2005 8:26 pm

They probably woudn't be selling it if it wasn't crap, would they, having said that, have you ever tried to buy a car boot at one of these events!!

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Tue Dec 13, 2005 11:36 pm

I once wandered around Fuengirola boot sale with a Norwegian friend and she couldn't believe the tat. she said they throw better things away in Norway.

redsoxbrit
Resident

Car boot sales

Postby redsoxbrit » Wed Dec 14, 2005 9:35 am

Where is the car boot sale in Alhaurin el Grande? I might just go along out of pure curiosity-one mans trash is another mans treasure.......

ella
Tourist

Postby ella » Wed Dec 14, 2005 10:51 am

The car boot sale used to be on the feria ground in Alhaurin el Grande on Sunday mornings but I think it was stopped some weeks ago. It moved to a different venue but I think that's stopped as well now.

phil_euro
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby phil_euro » Sat Dec 31, 2005 6:59 pm

Are there any of these down the Estepona - Sabinillas end of the Costa?

keddyboy
Resident

Postby keddyboy » Sun Jan 01, 2006 6:02 pm

No boot fairs in or around Alhaurin El Grande. The one at the feria ground stopped months ago and the new one at Los Arcos on the Coin Cartama Road was stopped about 7 weeks ago. The lady who runs these did not have the necessary paperwork would you beleive. I overheard her speaking to some other expats at Los Arcos one day she was closed down and it appears she had the same problems in the UK when she tried to run them!!!!!!
There is rumour of a boot sale at Los Neranjas on the back road from Cartama to Churrana[ not run by the same person!!!!!]
Keddyboy
Never do today what you can leave until tomorrow.

safeashouses
Resident

Postby safeashouses » Tue Jan 03, 2006 12:13 am

phil_euro wrote:Are there any of these down the Estepona - Sabinillas end of the Costa?
Sunday mornings in Sabinillas on the Recinto Ferial (fairground) signposted right off the roundabout just before the underpass.

It is a carboot/market mix about 50/50. If you are selling you need to get there very early to get a pitch.

kevin77
Resident

Postby kevin77 » Tue Jan 03, 2006 12:31 am

Car boot sales! - do you guys really miss the English way of life that much?
Do many Spanish people go to these things? From my experience I would say that they are not really into the second hand market.

bwgmijas
Tourist

Postby bwgmijas » Tue Jan 03, 2006 10:14 am

Kevin, you must go around with blinkers on. The spanish are avid (albeit , only in recent years) boot sales enthusiasts. Just go to Fuengirola on a Saturday morning and listen to the languages. Brian.

kevin77
Resident

Postby kevin77 » Tue Jan 03, 2006 3:47 pm

Thanks Brian, but I live in the UK now and anyway when I am visiting Spain I dont do Saturday mornings!
Is it a British import to the CDS though?.
Its just that every high street in England is packed with charity second hand shops, something I havent noticed in Spain.

brenda
Resident

Postby brenda » Tue Jan 03, 2006 6:45 pm

Charity shops also quite common - 3 in centre of Nerja alone (Anglican Church shop, Cudeca Cancer Care, + CAS Animal welfare.

redsoxbrit
Resident

Postby redsoxbrit » Wed Jan 04, 2006 9:40 am

kevin77 wrote:Car boot sales! - do you guys really miss the English way of life that much?
Do many Spanish people go to these things? From my experience I would say that they are not really into the second hand market.
Just try the Cudeca shop in Coin - run by Brits but used predominantly by Spanish. I would imagine that Charity Shops were introduced to the rest of the Western World by the Americans just like the Car Boot Sales that followed. It's not just the British who like a bargain you know!

frank
Andalucia Guru

Postby frank » Wed Jan 04, 2006 11:14 am

kevin77 wrote:Car boot sales! - do you guys really miss the English way of life that much?
Yes, the Spanish have a lot to thank us for! :D How sad! Never been to one in UK, so I'm sure I could live without them in Spain.
Regards, Frank

No soy residente, simplemente un turista, ¿qué sé yo?

kevin77
Resident

Postby kevin77 » Wed Jan 04, 2006 12:41 pm

Cudeca is confined to the Malaga province, and looking at their website I see the founder and president is Mrs Joan Hunt C.B.E.(sounds as British as you can get!) So although it contributes to Spanish Cancer charities, I would say its of British origin originally.
But outside this area, I havent seen many charity/ secondhand type shops apart from Cash Converters in Madrid and Barcelona.
Apart from the traditional markets/ rastros it makes me think that car boots & charity shops are are something that the Brits have contributed to the region.