Rammed earth (Tapial) in Andalucia

Looking for information on a place in Andalucia or simply asking for advice on somewhere to visit? Post here and someone out there may know the answer.
pauljaquin

Rammed earth (Tapial) in Andalucia

Postby pauljaquin » Tue Dec 13, 2005 6:04 pm

I'm a PhD student at Durham (UK) looking at the conservation of rammed earth buildings. I am visiting Andalucia in January to look at some of these structures.

Rammed earth is a construction technique where the earth is formed into walls by compacting it between shuttering similar to concrete and in Andalucia there are lots of excellent examples.

Good examples I have found so far are Castillo de Burgalimar, the castle in La Rambla, Castillo de Sohail in Fuengirola and Castillo de Tabernas, where the olive oil is produced.

I'm an engineer and am looking at how the buildings 'work' such that they can be repaired, both in Spain and the rest of the world.

I was wondering if there was anyone in Andalucia who also had a particular interest in these buildings, or the castles and fortifications of southern Spain in general, it would be good to meet anyone with similar interests.

geegee
Resident

Postby geegee » Wed Dec 14, 2005 7:01 pm

Potentially interested Paul, I plan to check out Morocco when I go there (also in Jan).

Didn't know we had any in Andalucia, excuse my ignorance! Do they still use this method in Andalucia and do you know of any recently completed contemporary-styled buildings here that have used rammed earth? I assume the buidings you name are not exactly modern..

I know earth buildings are still popular in much of Africa, Mexico etc. Given nearly a third of the world's population currently live in them they clearly work for some, but I understand they involve a lot of annual maintenance in some areas subject to heavy weather...my valley is green and gets storm quantities of rainfall most winters.

Reason I am interested is that I am currently considering a variety of eco-friendly wall construction methods for a new project and someone suggested I look at this method. However, not so keen on having to build the necessary elevated concrete foundations, sort of defeats the eco-aim...

I understand there is a Centre for Earthen Architecture in the UK? Is it any good? If you want to continue this conversation send me a PM or post your email address...

Regards,
Gee Gee.