car rental rip off

Looking for information on a place in Andalucia or simply asking for advice on somewhere to visit? Post here and someone out there may know the answer.
frank
Andalucia Guru

Postby frank » Tue Jan 10, 2006 10:38 am

spanish hopes wrote:I've mentioned them before and have always been happy with Brunos.
I've looked at them before, and they are far too expensive. To see if they have changed, I put some dates in for when we have booked, and compared them with Carjet. The quoted prices were Carjet 250 euros, Brunos 316 euros. No contest, as far as I'm concerned. The difference would pay for the petrol! Mind you, as you are always pushing them, you probably get a discount! ;-)
Regards, Frank

No soy residente, simplemente un turista, ¿qué sé yo?

spanish hopes

Postby spanish hopes » Tue Jan 10, 2006 12:21 pm

So how much do you get back from carjet then frank? :wink:

frank
Andalucia Guru

Postby frank » Tue Jan 10, 2006 1:53 pm

Well, in the case quoted above, €66! ;-) And I'm one of many advocating Carjet. Mind you, they are not without their faults, I'm always looking out for a better deal. I still get a Christmas card every year from Autos Aguirre, and I haven't used them for at least 12 years! Perhaps I'll get a quote, but I think they'll be too much.
Regards, Frank

spanish hopes

Postby spanish hopes » Tue Jan 10, 2006 2:01 pm

I have used Brunos for many years now and although I admit they are not the cheapest, I have always had excellent service.
I have booked one of their smallest cars for 8 days mid march costing €125. I ALWAYS get a free upgrade, that is why I book the cheapest model.
I have flown into Gib at times and been unable to land, after being redirected to Malaga via Tangiers we have arrived 4-5 hours late and the Brunos rep has always been waiting for us.
I take the car Full to Full and pop into their office in Duquesa 'sometime' during my stay to pay. Thus when I arrive at the airport it takes just minutes to collect the vehicle and be on my way.
Because I am on their database they have all my info stored that is necessary for the contract so it is quick for me to book.
I am sure that I could get a more financially agreeable deal if I were to shop around but am so satisfied with the service that I am happy to pay that little bit extra.

Fletch
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Fletch » Tue Jan 10, 2006 2:09 pm

Well, got to Jerez and waited almost 1hr for the Crown rep to get our car sorted. That`s the down side, however, the car was excellent, larger than I ordered, and they accepted a full/full return.
So the jury`s out still I think.
It seems that you have to wait a bit longer for the car with Crown, but the rest of it seems to make up for it
Is it hot here, or is it just me?

frank
Andalucia Guru

Postby frank » Tue Jan 10, 2006 4:23 pm

spanish hopes wrote:I have used Brunos for many years now and although I admit they are not the cheapest, I have always had excellent service.
If we were talking 10-20€ difference, I'd agree with you, but for a fortnight, 66€ will probably pay most of my fuel. All my details, passport, driving licence etc are with Carjet, so it does not take me long, just wish everyone else would do it.
Regards, Frank

JAWG
Resident

Postby JAWG » Tue Jan 10, 2006 5:12 pm

We fly into Malaga and I have used DragonCars. This year will be my third rental from them. I always pay in advance and simply go to the Transportation Desk (?) identify myself, get the keys and go. When turning the car in, I park, lock the keys in the trunk (boot to you), phone and tell them where it is parked and go. Never a problem.
In 2002, our first time, we had a problem with the car (our fault). They delivered a new car to our apartment (near Duquesa) and took the old one, no questions.
This year we have rented for 3 months, total cost 1205.70 Euros.
That is all inclusive. For the first time I have been asked to return the car with an empty fuel tank and to pay for a tankful in advance.
Will report next week if any problems encountered.
John G
Ottawa, ON, Canada

golfer
Tourist

Postby golfer » Wed Jan 11, 2006 6:15 pm

Rip off might be a bit strong but all Car Hire companies at Malaga airport seem to change the rules on a daily basis. For example just returned from Malaga 5 day hire booked through Carjet provider was Centauro their policy on 17th December was full tank return empty I might have done 50 miles if I was lucky. When challenged at the desk Centauro stated that it had nothing to do with them it was Carjets policy when Carjet challenged yes you guessed it nothing to do with them it was Centauro. Net effect 55 euro of diesel of which I might have used 15 Euros worth or put another way a 40 Euro surcharge making it not such a good deal. Perhaps on reflection Rip off is the right description !!!

Nige
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Nige » Thu Feb 09, 2006 6:26 pm

Golfer- that was unfortunate for you. I think some car hire companies are giving very competitive deals with Carjet in order to grab their share. If you compare Carjet rental prices to booking directly, you can see what I mean. I think some renters like to make up for the very cheap rental deals by operating the no refund on fuel policy. So it's swings and roundabouts. You can pay higher rental charges and get whatever fuel is left back or pay low rentals and not. Overall the deal is good. (You could find a friend who will syphon off the un-used fuel before going to the airport) :lol:

frank
Andalucia Guru

Postby frank » Thu Feb 09, 2006 11:26 pm

golfer wrote:Rip off might be a bit strong but all Car Hire companies at Malaga airport seem to change the rules on a daily basis. For example just returned from Malaga 5 day hire booked through Carjet provider was Centauro their policy on 17th December was full tank return empty I might have done 50 miles if I was lucky. When challenged at the desk Centauro stated that it had nothing to do with them it was Carjets policy when Carjet challenged yes you guessed it nothing to do with them it was Centauro. Net effect 55 euro of diesel of which I might have used 15 Euros worth or put another way a 40 Euro surcharge making it not such a good deal. Perhaps on reflection Rip off is the right description !!!
I would persevere with Carjet, I have taken them to task a couple of times in the past, and have always ended up with some money being refunded. Last time, as in my earlier post, I think they refunded me 15 euros. Not a huge amount, but it was about right. Don't give up, get back to them! ;-) Cost you nothing for a few e-mails, they'll love it if you give up, that's what they work on.
Regards, Frank

zanuck
Resident

Postby zanuck » Thu Feb 09, 2006 11:50 pm

In the preceding 29 posts, no-one has mentioned Helle Hollis. I've always found them to be good, polite, cars always clean, full/full policy. Reasonable rates, free upgrades if you book a month ahead, 15% discount plus free days if you join their Home Owners Club. Choice of using the downstairs desk at Malaga airport, for a surcharge (no option after midnight till 0600), or catching their free bus to their office about 600 metres away opposite San Miguel. If I remember right they also give "we'll beat the competition and give you €6".
No, I'm not a shareholder.

safeashouses
Resident

Postby safeashouses » Fri Feb 10, 2006 1:06 am

I used them once about 6 years ago but couldn't be doing with the minibus with suitcases to and from their depot to the airport and back. Went back to Brunos and have stuck with them ever since. Always reliable and leave the fuel tank as you find it!

winkie
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby winkie » Fri Feb 10, 2006 7:49 pm

safeashouses wrote:I used them once about 6 years ago but couldn't be doing with the minibus with suitcases to and from their depot to the airport and back. Went back to Brunos and have stuck with them ever since. Always reliable and leave the fuel tank as you find it!
Do you have a V.I.?
Whether you believe you can, or whether you believe you can't, you are absolutely right.

safeashouses
Resident

Postby safeashouses » Fri Feb 10, 2006 7:57 pm

winkie wrote:
safeashouses wrote:I used them once about 6 years ago but couldn't be doing with the minibus with suitcases to and from their depot to the airport and back. Went back to Brunos and have stuck with them ever since. Always reliable and leave the fuel tank as you find it!
Do you have a V.I.?
Why is it that when someone suggests carjet or Helle Hollis etc their suggestions are welcomed. If anyone suggests brunos their suggestion is questioned and they are asked if they have a vested interest? Do you have an anti Brunos Agenda winkie?

frank
Andalucia Guru

Postby frank » Fri Feb 10, 2006 8:04 pm

zanuck wrote:In the preceding 29 posts, no-one has mentioned Helle Hollis. .
I used to use them, but also got fed up with the mini bus business. I like to put the bags on a trolley, cruise downstairs, hanging onto the trolley, do the business, and then wheel it out to the car.
Regards, Frank

frank
Andalucia Guru

Postby frank » Fri Feb 10, 2006 8:19 pm

safeashouses wrote: Do you have an anti Brunos Agenda winkie?
If he/she doesn't have, I do! ;-) Just got some quotes for 8 days next month, Carjet, Ford Fusion €124, Bruno's, similar car, €180! The difference, €56, will pay for my petrol.
Regards, Frank

spanish hopes

Postby spanish hopes » Fri Feb 10, 2006 9:16 pm

I have booked their (Brunos) smallest car but always get an automatic update, usually to a focus. 8th til 15th March €124. Full to Full. Never had to wait for the car and never had a problem.