Costa del sol accommodation search

Looking for information on a place in Andalucia or simply asking for advice on somewhere to visit? Post here and someone out there may know the answer.
caito

Costa del sol accommodation search

Postby caito » Fri Jan 20, 2006 9:36 pm

My husband and I are looking for budget accommodations 24-28 November 2006. We will not have a car but would like to visit Granada, Jarez, Nerja, Ronda, Mijas, Gibraltar, etc. We would prefer on or near the beach in a town with easy access to public transportation or a tourist office who offers day trips from our location.
We've been told Rincon de la Victoria is nice and affordable but will consider anywhere centrally located.
Please email information to [email protected]. Thank you!

frank
Andalucia Guru

Postby frank » Fri Jan 20, 2006 11:25 pm

I would think you'd struggle to see all those places in four days in a car, never mind public transport! :( I'd concentrate on a couple, maybe Granada, Jerez(personally I'd pick Sevilla instead) and Ronda possibly. Base yourself somewhere near Malaga, or Antequera area, and you'd be somewhere in the middle. There are people here that live in Mijas that will tell you different, but if you want to see Spain, I'd give Mijas and Gibralter a miss! ;-)
Regards, Frank

No soy residente, simplemente un turista, ¿qué sé yo?

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Sat Jan 21, 2006 9:33 am

rincon is a busy working town, nice beaches and the hotels are reasonable so a good place to base yourself. ideal location for nerja and granada. you can get the bus into malaga (about 15 mins) and from there catch a train to ronda and sevilla. i think in 4 days using public transport you will struggle to cover all your places of interest.

safeashouses
Resident

Postby safeashouses » Sat Jan 21, 2006 10:07 am

No please don't give Gibraltar a miss, it has to be seen to be believed. It's such a great pity that the 'taxi tour' which, with a good driver/guide is the easiest way to see as much of the rock as you can in a short time, is such a rip-off. You will either love it or hate it, don't miss it. And at the risk of starting yet another smoking debate off cigarettes are only £7 for 200. Perfume and booze amongst other commodities are cheaper too.

keddyboy
Resident

Postby keddyboy » Sat Jan 21, 2006 11:34 pm

Yes give Gibraltar a big miss, its like Portsmouth with apes, no on second thoughts its just like Portsmouth, covered in seagulls latest deposits and expensive. By the way cigarettes are cheaper in Spain but I am a non smoker!!!
Keddyboy
Never do today what you can leave until tomorrow.

lis48
Resident

Postby lis48 » Sun Jan 22, 2006 8:29 am

Beg to differ Keddyboy about Gibraltar. I used to find the place tacky and expensive and hate going, but a few weeks ago I had to go on a Sunday and had a wonderful day there. Drove in and out with no wait at all, no prob parking anywhere, Main Street empty but back street shops and pubs all open for a really good and cheap Sunday roast. Safeways open till 7pm with no check out queues. Noone but us in the cave and tunnels and I saw only two other people up on the top of the rock tho it was a really clear day. Apes seemed to scratch less too! Gibraltar has two very different sides to it; just never go when other people do.

Lion
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Lion » Sun Jan 22, 2006 10:34 am

By the way cigarettes are cheaper in Spain
Less than 1.30 Euro a packet for 20?

I suspect not.

I was in Gib (not a huge fan of the place I have to say - overcrowded) last month and Benson and Hedges were 96p a packet for 20, other brands were even cheaper.

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Sun Jan 22, 2006 3:44 pm

Have a browse on this site I've found some unusual ones and they aren't all expensive.

gretch
Resident

Postby gretch » Sun Jan 22, 2006 6:02 pm

I went to Gib once, I was 8years old, one of the apes pinched my sweeties.
I’ve never been back since :cry:

safeashouses
Resident

Postby safeashouses » Sun Jan 22, 2006 6:19 pm

The apes will pinch anything you are advised by the tour guides to hold tight onto everything. I've seen them pinch hats, sunglasses even handbags.

caito

Postby caito » Mon Jan 23, 2006 5:32 pm

Thanks to everyone for your replies!
We are trying to plan a coastal visit to coincide with an inland cycling tour earlier in our trip. I know there are many places to visit (and many opinions) and do not expect to see them all so your information will certainly help us to decide which one(s) to focus on!

Grouser
Resident

Postby Grouser » Tue Feb 14, 2006 8:07 pm

I would have said the one unmissable place on your itinery is Granada and the Alhambra, but as has been said many times before you need to book well in advance
Grouser