Ryan Air and luggage charges

Looking for information on a place in Andalucia or simply asking for advice on somewhere to visit? Post here and someone out there may know the answer.
spain_pam
Tourist

Ryan Air and luggage charges

Postby spain_pam » Fri Feb 03, 2006 10:19 am

Have just flown back from Granada using Ryan Air and quite a few folk in the check in queue ahad of me had 'joint' luggage, ie both lots of luggage allowance in one case. Ryain Air were charging for every kilo over the 15 kilo allowance at 8€ per kilo, even if the case weighed 20 kilo's instead of the combined allowance of 30 kilo. Folk were saying they had been allowed to use one case for both allowances coming out to Spain but not being allowed to use one case going back. :? So be warned!!
PS it is freezing over here in the UK!! :shock:

Nige
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Nige » Fri Feb 03, 2006 10:40 am

Good point.
This example makes it important to read the terms and conditions of any airline and the Ryanair Terms and Conditions does specifically state that you can't pool allowances, but I personally would never have thought about it because other airlines have more relaxed rules. It's a small print minefield.

olive
Andalucia Guru

luggage charges

Postby olive » Fri Feb 03, 2006 11:35 am

I am not surprised by this latest development. Ryanair's boss is quite a leader in cheap airline innovation. His suggestions for driving ticket prices down include moving to hand luggage only (saves on baggage handlers so he can pass that saving on) and they can turn the planes round quicker. The planes only make money when flying. He also said why not buy any stuff you need when you get there and then "throw it away"! Lately he has suggested introducing gambling on flights and then not charging for seats. I guess all this is to test the water.

How long before passengers themselves are weighed!

pwwm
Resident

Postby pwwm » Fri Feb 03, 2006 3:18 pm

Also starting first March they are going to be charging, I think it is, £2.50p per item, checked in, hold luggage, on top of the other charges.
so pleased I do not need to use them.
Re Nige's comment that they have it written in very small print re pooling weight allowance, I had never seen that when flying with them. Will be more careful with other airlines in case (excuse pun) they insert similar.
Thanks for pointing that out Nige, as we fly to UK visiting family etc and always stock up for return.
pwwm

jan400
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby jan400 » Fri Feb 03, 2006 5:20 pm

I think it is a new policy with Ryanair. A friend of mine was caught out at stansted a couple of weeks ago. Luckily she managed to put some in her hand luggage.

Bongtrees
Andalucia Guru

Re: Ryan Air and luggage charges

Postby Bongtrees » Sat Feb 04, 2006 10:51 am

I flew back from Stanstead with Ryanair last week and would never do so again.

Despite having a woman marshalling everyone in the queue demanding all documents be shown to her etc, never once did she mention the problem of the luggage.

Arrived at desk and was berated about having more than one bag each and that both were over the 15kgs allowance. When I said no problem I will pay I was asked why we could not throw some of it away!

Apparently all baggage will now attract a charge of 7.50 euros per bag. plus any excess weight charges.

Also people with no luggage or those who had booked in the size and weight of luggage X days before departure are allowed on first, then families with children and then lastly the poor devils who actually pay the most in terms of extras.

No I didnt get a 99 cent ticket either although most other passengers did.

Mike

Nige
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Nige » Sat Feb 04, 2006 5:24 pm

Mike- where do you get these snippets of 'misinformation' ! The actual facts of the Ryanair 'baggage' policy to be introduced next Month are clearly explained in the News briefing on their web site.
I for one, will be very happy to travel light and benefit from easier boarding and cheaper fares. If I have luggage, I am happy to follow the extra weight limit before excess baggage charges apply (20 kgs) and happy to pay the small fee. But I would establish exactly what the Terms are before buying my ticket. It seems to me that airport queues will be much reduced.
http://www.ryanair.com/site/EN/news.php ... -en-250106

Bongtrees
Andalucia Guru

Postby Bongtrees » Sat Feb 04, 2006 6:05 pm

Misinformation, a bit over the top dont you think?

Ok I said now and apparently is March..........I heard it on the BBC news a week ago.

So yes they are going to charge for every bag plus the excess. People with no baggage get on first. Oh and forgot to say that NOW they are surcharging for payment by credit or debit card, dont believe me, look at their web site.

Establishing the terms and conditions are futile with Ryanair who reserve the right to change them without notice, just Google Ryanair complaints.

Mike

Nige
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Nige » Sat Feb 04, 2006 11:13 pm

Mike- I don't disagree about the rapid changes of Ryanair Terms & Conditions, but what I do think is important is to at least get all the facts right. The T&C are quite long and much more complicated than your brief message.Anyone reading your posting will think, for example, that Apparently all baggage will now attract a charge of 7.50 euros per bag. plus any excess weight charges.
when clearly this is not Ryanair's new policy. It may have been that you misheard some BBC news broadcast which in turn was simplified. So it's a good idea to actually read the revised T+C ! Thanks sincerely for pointing this out as many would miss this !

anewlife
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby anewlife » Sun Feb 05, 2006 3:11 pm

The new policy with Ryanair only applies to bookings MADE after 16th March regardless of when you are travelling. I am travelling to YUK on 2nd March, which I booked a while ago, so the allowance is still only 15kgs. I think the policy of pooling/sharing of luggage has been changed as we pooled ours on a recent trip to YUK as we were all on the same booking and it wasn't a problem.

Kim

check-in bagage

Postby Kim » Wed Feb 08, 2006 12:26 pm

If you have booked before, but travel after March 16th, you will not be charged for check-in bagage, as per Ryanair's customer services. You will only be allowed to take up to 15kg without surcharge. No pooling/sharing of baggage allowances is permitted, even when travelling together on the same reservation.