Final HOURS last day for collecting read 1st post

Looking for information on a place in Andalucia or simply asking for advice on somewhere to visit? Post here and someone out there may know the answer.
Midnight Rambler

Postby Midnight Rambler » Thu Feb 16, 2006 9:34 pm

anewlife wrote:Mark F

Bring the bike over - you will make a fortune on it here!!! My other half is going to bring bikes over here for half the price and sell it for double!!! They are in great demand - especially UK bikes.
didn't you read his earlier posts about conversion costs??

Midnight Rambler

Postby Midnight Rambler » Thu Feb 16, 2006 9:40 pm

Chrisuk, good luck on your journey, like I said, watch out for those french C\cksuckers especially at night at toll areas!

anewlife
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby anewlife » Thu Feb 16, 2006 9:59 pm

Sorry, what are conversion costs? Thought that the only cost would be registering to Spanish plates? Am I being thick here only local garage owner here would be happy to go to UK to pick bikes up and sell them on at a huge profit..........

Midnight Rambler

Postby Midnight Rambler » Thu Feb 16, 2006 10:19 pm

anewlife wrote:Sorry, what are conversion costs? Thought that the only cost would be registering to Spanish plates? Am I being thick here only local garage owner here would be happy to go to UK to pick bikes up and sell them on at a huge profit..........
The word thick is yours, not mine perhaps this is why you have only 52€ per month to live on, if there is such a huge profit don't you wonder why the "local garage owner, as we speak is not bringing a shipfull of beezers here?

chrisuk
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby chrisuk » Thu Feb 16, 2006 11:33 pm

Midnight Rambler wrote:[if there is such a huge profit don't you wonder why the "local garage owner, as we speak is not bringing a shipfull of beezers here?
I was wondering just the same, byt the time you chase around paying al that needs to be paid you're looking at £700~£900 , I looked into it in depth, my Van is more important right now than a bike, I make a living with my van, not a bike, I'll get another later.

This is how I worked it out. Value of Bike £2800 to £3200 it doesnt matter.
Re registration and farting about £900, take that off the value and you are left with a massive negative equity which you will never recoupe, cost of bikes in Spain is relative, bikes in the UK are cheap 2nd hand for one reason, they dont last as long as the climate is rubbish, Radiators and calipers are the 1st things to go along with many other parts, so what you save in Spain you pay for in the UK, like I say its relative, if I was buying a bike in Spain and it was a english change over I wouldnt pay more than half the Spainish value and you'll find they know that too.

Careful when considering blowing money on something your not sure about, if in doubt ask me, its in my blood...

Cheers

mhic
Andalucia Guru

Postby mhic » Fri Feb 17, 2006 10:16 am

My uk reg bike is 21 years old and so the import tax should be very little but I am being quoted upwards of 600euros to get it done. I was talking a while ago to a chap that used to bring bikes in from the UK and make a few bob but he said it's a waste of time nowa days.

Mhic

anewlife
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby anewlife » Fri Feb 17, 2006 2:17 pm

midnight rambler

Probably because he can't be bothered to travel to UK to get them!!! Just because we can live on very little money where we are, there is no need to be sarcastic, or is it because you are jealous and you need more to live???

MarkF
Resident

Postby MarkF » Fri Feb 17, 2006 3:29 pm

Is there a definitive link on what a bike needs to be coverted?

My 1981 Kawaski Spectre is very rare, I love it, it's also worth peanuts, £750 tops :( I'd like tio think I could take it with me.

mhic
Andalucia Guru

Postby mhic » Fri Feb 17, 2006 4:34 pm

Mark.

I know a woman bought an old Honda over from the uk and it took her almost a year to get it re-registered because it was the first one ever in the country. Yamaha only made my model for 2 years and I think it was US and Canada only, so I expect a long delay getting that sorted out. But I like the old thing and I think it will be worth the bother.

Mhic.

chrisuk
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby chrisuk » Sat Feb 18, 2006 2:40 am

I'll do a bit of research on the motorbike issue of re registering and let you all know the ins and outs as soon as I can

Cheers

mhic
Andalucia Guru

Postby mhic » Sat Feb 18, 2006 9:54 am

From what I've been told it's the same proceedure as with a car. Engineers report to show there have been no modifications, then the ITV (mot) then several trips to traffico and finally you collect your new plates.

Mhic

MarkF
Resident

Postby MarkF » Sat Feb 18, 2006 1:08 pm

chrisuk wrote:I'll do a bit of research on the motorbike issue of re registering and let you all know the ins and outs as soon as I can

Cheers
That would be great, many thanks!
From what I've been told it's the same proceedure as with a car. Engineers report to show there have been no modifications, then the ITV (mot) then several trips to traffico and finally you collect your new plates.
Mhic, I am in the same boat as you, my bike was only made 81/82 fro the Us market. It's standard so maybe it won't be too expensive. :)

chrisuk
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby chrisuk » Sun Feb 19, 2006 8:30 am

***********BUMP************** updated 1st post, read there

costachick
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby costachick » Sun Feb 19, 2006 9:06 am

Best of luck with the drive down Chris, make sure you find some internet cafes on the way down and let us know how you are doing.

safeashouses
Resident

Postby safeashouses » Sun Feb 19, 2006 2:16 pm

The very best of luck Chris and yes please try to keep us updated with how it's all going for you.

Safe journey and enjoy every minute of it.