advice on travel in late march/early april

Looking for information on a place in Andalucia or simply asking for advice on somewhere to visit? Post here and someone out there may know the answer.
franliu
Tourist

whoa...

Postby franliu » Thu Feb 23, 2006 8:52 pm

hey,

thanks again for the input. EVERYBODY's suggestions have been helpful and I'm getting a much better sense on what to do given my situation and time of year. I hope this hasn't sparked any hating. You live in a place that's too beautiful to be angry in.

frank
Andalucia Guru

Postby frank » Thu Feb 23, 2006 11:15 pm

MaggieMay wrote: But there is plenty stunning scenery, culture and history along the coastal resorts too.
I'm intrigued! I've been coming to Andalucia for more than 20years, and I've obviously been looking in the wrong places. Pray tell Maggie, where are these hidden gems you talk of? Spill the beans! I'll be out next month, I'll divert to the coast if you can convince me it's worth it. I've not really seen anything south of Malaga worth a second visit.
Regards, Frank

No soy residente, simplemente un turista, ¿qué sé yo?

MaggieMay
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby MaggieMay » Thu Feb 23, 2006 11:41 pm

Pray tell Frank, why would I want to convince you to divert to the coast? :wink:
I wear it well...........

safeashouses
Resident

Postby safeashouses » Fri Feb 24, 2006 1:34 am

Midnight Rambler wrote:

better than Morecombe though eh Maggie sorry I meant to say Spanish / Morecombe hopes!! doesn't matter though you're the same person aren't you? Oh no were not! yeah right!
How come Maggie & Spanish Hopes took up two places at the Andalucia.com Christmas Dinner that you tried to cancel then Rambler. :?:

silver
Andalucia Guru

Postby silver » Fri Feb 24, 2006 8:52 am

I'll divert to the coast if you can convince me it's worth it. I've not really seen anything south of Malaga worth a second visit.
South of Malaga is the sea then Africa. Don't bother diverting..the Costa del Sol can survive well enough without you....millions enjoy every year...
No muerdes la mano que te da de comer.

frank
Andalucia Guru

Postby frank » Fri Feb 24, 2006 9:42 am

Pray tell Frank, why would I want to convince you to divert to the coast? :wink:[/quote]

To discover these coastal Shangri-Las with stunning scenery you talk of. Go on give us a laugh, name them. I never felt I was missing out bypassing the coastal strip (remember we used to have to drive through it!) but perhaps there are some undiscovered pearls nesting along that coast that I must have missed. I'd be delighted to find that there are these mysterious places that you talk of. I much prefer the culture and history side to the kiss me quick type resorts I have seen there.
Regards, Frank

No soy residente, simplemente un turista, ¿qué sé yo?

spanish hopes

Postby spanish hopes » Fri Feb 24, 2006 9:49 am

I much prefer the culture and history side

You stick to that frank. We will struggle on enjoying this horrendous coastline.
It's pointless telling you where they are though as in previous topics you have told us how bad your navigation was, or did you blame it on your wife?
It's Culture Vultures like you who make Spain such a wnderful place to be at times.
I think that Shangri La is just a little bit east of Motril if it's any help.
to the kiss me quick type resorts
You probably are not in much danger of that happening to you anywhere.

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Fri Feb 24, 2006 10:12 am

I don't like the way the coast has gone but there are still a few gems. There isn't a high rise in sight from my house and I can walk to the beach beside a stream shaded in eucaliptus trees in 10 mins. A few expensive places to eat, wish there was a bar but there isn't except on the beach.

If people want to live inland, fine, but why do they have to be making snide comments all the time, just enjoy. they seem to be the same people who call the UK yUK. I chose to live here where I can drive in mins to smart shops etc. everything works fine and near to the hospital or a home visit from the doctor. there are also many cultural events.

There are some delightful pueblos inland but there are also some dumps. too

Valencia_Paul
Resident

Postby Valencia_Paul » Fri Feb 24, 2006 10:28 am

Let's face it - the main reason people buy inland is price. If you are 1 hour plus from the coast the prices are lower. Simple as that.

Midnight Rambler

Postby Midnight Rambler » Fri Feb 24, 2006 10:48 am

Valencia_Paul wrote:Let's face it - the main reason people buy inland is price. If you are 1 hour plus from the coast the prices are lower. Simple as that.
Sorry Paul, but I must disagree, there ARE some places on the CDS which are like Blackpool with sunshine, take Fuengirola for example, some people just don't want to be surrounded by hundreds cheap bars and drunks throwing up and fighting, as witnessed by me on my first trip there, some people prefer the peace and quiet of rural areas.
People in the UK for example don't live in the countryside because it's cheaper they live there because they want to, and of course there's less chance of being stabbed or mugged or solicited for drugs at every street corner.
A policeman told me a couple of days ago that there are more drug dealers in Puerto Banus than there are bars, great place to live eh!!

safeashouses
Resident

Postby safeashouses » Fri Feb 24, 2006 11:57 am

:roll:

silver
Andalucia Guru

Postby silver » Fri Feb 24, 2006 12:18 pm

frank
perhaps there are some undiscovered pearls nesting along that coast that I must have missed.
you are perhaps past the age of discovering that beauty is in the eye of the beholder and you you you are far too blinded by your superiority complex to accept the fact that even if .you..you... you...
much prefer the culture and history
others are delighted and able to find their Shangri-La on the coast..they are entitled to their opinions without having to listen to your
snide comments all the time

The Costa del Sol has been for some a favorite for thousands of tourist who return year after year...but then..they are all eastenders..and what do they know:roll:
give us a laugh
:lol:
Live and let live...

Nunca digas de esta agua no beberé.
No muerdes la mano que te da de comer.

MaggieMay
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby MaggieMay » Fri Feb 24, 2006 9:51 pm

frank wrote:
To discover these coastal Shangri-Las with stunning scenery you talk of. Go on give us a laugh, name them. I never felt I was missing out bypassing the coastal strip (remember we used to have to drive through it!) but perhaps there are some undiscovered pearls nesting along that coast that I must have missed. I'd be delighted to find that there are these mysterious places that you talk of. I much prefer the culture and history side to the kiss me quick type resorts I have seen there.
Frank your posting is pure sarcasm and arrogance. The difference between us is that I accept that my opinion of the coast is purely that, my opinion, some people will agree with me and some people won´t. I would have no desire whatsoever to live in an inland town or village. But I can find no reason to make it sound as though I look down on the people that choose to.
I find a lot of the scenery along the coast stunning, the fact that you don´t doesn´t automatically make me wrong does it? Or perhaps it does, in
your opinion of course.
I wear it well...........

askrigg
Tourist

Postby askrigg » Sat Feb 25, 2006 3:24 pm

Well said Maggie May!
We have lived on the coast for five years and love it, mind you we are well away from the likes of Torremolinos and Fuengirola which are extremely busy.
We live in a much quieter area with long stretches of beach and 30 minutes from some of the inland areas.
We have lovely views, white villages, historic places to visit Roman remains, the Roman baths and so on.
We also like the inland areas but we live on the coast because of the easy access to shops, health centre, doctors etc. We also have good schools, both Spanish and international in the area,so it's not a bad place for anyone with children. We have built up a circle of Spanish and British friends and we have a pretty good life! :D

safeashouses
Resident

Postby safeashouses » Sat Feb 25, 2006 3:35 pm

Well said Askrigg and if you hadn't I would have done we are in the same coastal area as you and have had a place there for 21 years. It's got everything that inland places have and more, more, and more.

Faire d'Income
Resident

Postby Faire d'Income » Fri Mar 03, 2006 7:37 pm

Getting past the yawnathon debate which surrounds the CDS, I'd recommend the old part of Cadiz for a stop over, particularly from the Paradore into the main square with the churro stalls and cafes. Might be a bit nippy in the evening but a great city.

Sevilla is worth seeing too as well as the coast along towards Gibraltar. I'd then head inland to Grazalema for a night and see the Spanish 'Lake District' which is pretty much the route we took at Christmas.

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Fri Mar 03, 2006 7:44 pm

I would go with Cadiz, one of the best places to visit in andalucia, may not have the famous places like sevilla etc. but just wander around and feel the place.

surfjabroni
Andalucia.com Amigo

costa de la luz questions

Postby surfjabroni » Sat Mar 25, 2006 1:35 pm

all the q about beaches here are on the site in my profile.
enjoy
a bad day in the water beats a good day in the office.... nos vemos en la cresta.. xx andy

citymike
Andalucia.com Amigo

Re: costa de la luz questions

Postby citymike » Sat Mar 25, 2006 2:56 pm

surfjabroni wrote:all the q about beaches here are on the site in my profile.
enjoy
Good site. What is the beach called between La Barrosa and Chiclana, the place that was the old fish processing town which is now deserted excepted for the kite surfers? I thought that place beautiful.

I do like the Costa de la Luz but inland is fairly dull looking when compared to inland from the CDS. I though that the mountains around Coin were stunning. All my opinion, of course. And if you want to meet rowdy drunks inland just go out a bit later than the British normally do, I managed to meet them most nights when I was living in the Cadiz region and I had a great time :lol:

lis48
Resident

Postby lis48 » Sun Mar 26, 2006 6:43 am

Chiclana is not on the coast but I think you mean Sancti Petri. Very popular at weekends and in summer but as you say deserted much of the rest of the time and the restaurants are excellent there.