spanish lake disrict

Looking for information on a place in Andalucia or simply asking for advice on somewhere to visit? Post here and someone out there may know the answer.
costakid
Andalucia Guru

spanish lake disrict

Postby costakid » Tue Mar 14, 2006 10:24 am

does any of you experts out there know where the lake district is. We have been told to head inland on the A357 from Malaga past Cartama but have never managed to find the lakes. Any clues on the nearest town would be helpful. I will say that while looking for the lakes we have found some lovely villages and towns so not all a waste of time.

costachick
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby costachick » Tue Mar 14, 2006 11:42 am

All the years I've been here and never been to the lakes.
Just looking at the map and the lakes are in between Campillos and Ardales (both on the A357).
Driving through would be: Cartama, Pizarra, Carratraca, Ardales then Campillos

silver
Andalucia Guru

Postby silver » Tue Mar 14, 2006 12:24 pm

The above lakes are called "El chorro" and are the biggest in Malaga province..but there are others... La Viñuela up Velez Malaga way, La Concepcion which is on the north outskirts (off the granada road) of Malaga city..there is another lake in Istan near Marbella..another between Almogia and Puerto de la Torre Malaga.. 8)
No muerdes la mano que te da de comer.

oliveview01
Andalucia Guru

Postby oliveview01 » Tue Mar 14, 2006 5:01 pm

not forgetting lake Iznajar, where you can bathe and there is a man made beach area and a nice bar too. I think it is still open- might only be in summer that it is open every day

Faire d'Income
Resident

Postby Faire d'Income » Tue Mar 14, 2006 7:18 pm

I would have thought they are referring to the El Chorro area and possibly up to Grazalema.

frank
Andalucia Guru

Postby frank » Tue Mar 14, 2006 10:44 pm

Faire d'Income wrote:I would have thought they are referring to the El Chorro area and possibly up to Grazalema.
I'd have thought so! Do people not traval around when they live out there? :? It's well known and close enough to the coast, it's not really hidden away, is it? :D I remember nearly ripping the sump off the car there, trying to get down to the water.
Some used to refer to the area of Sierras de Cazorla, Segura y Las Villas Natural Park as the lake district. A beautiful part of the province, with Baeza and Ubeda, it's a stunning area. I'd hardly bump into Silver up there! ;-) Or hardly any Brits come to that. We stayed there for a weeks or so, several years back, never saw a single Brit. Well worth a visit.
Regards, Frank

No soy residente, simplemente un turista, ¿qué sé yo?

chrisuk
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby chrisuk » Tue Mar 14, 2006 10:54 pm

3 clicks from in Cauvas de San Marcos is a bigish lake, though I presently live in the town I've never been, been told best during the week and its open, been also told about the beach bit and has B&Q, you can drive to where you want to go but avoid deriving on the beach bit or you'll get stuck

silver
Andalucia Guru

Postby silver » Wed Mar 15, 2006 3:33 pm

I'd hardly bump into Silver up there!
Frank...Take it from me...your wrong...again.
where the lake district is We have been told to head inland on the A357 from Malaga past Cartama
El Chorro

silver
Andalucia Guru

Postby silver » Wed Mar 15, 2006 5:27 pm

JONNYBOY...lovely area... a real photographers paradise....like most of Andalucia.

keddyboy
Resident

Postby keddyboy » Thu Mar 16, 2006 12:42 am

Costa Kid head up into Alora village and follow signs for El Chorro. Keep going for about 8 miles and you come to the hydroelectricity station in El Chorro. Keep ahead through the gorge [the one with the wooden bridge across] and on reaching T junction turn left, lakes are on the left. By way of a diversion, once past the kiosk by the lake [hydroelectricity] take a left leading to some monuments about 4 ks down the road, follow the road to the very end [very picturesqe] and you come to a small bar called El Bar!!!! Looks down on El Chorro and a paradise for vulture and eagle spotters and the beer is excellent.
Keddyboy
Never do today what you can leave until tomorrow.

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Thu Mar 16, 2006 9:22 am

Thanks for that everyone. We will try the bar as well keddyboy.

ron
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby ron » Sat Mar 18, 2006 9:45 pm

keddyboy
Agree about the bar, very freindly place. On the way to it there is that church carved out of a boulder.(after a walk)

paulellis
Andalucia.com Amigo

LAKE DISTRICT

Postby paulellis » Sun Mar 19, 2006 10:07 am

Why not visit Iznajar, 20+ km long, beach you can comfortably drive onto & if you want some sight-seeing, take the road to Rute, turn left as you enter the town & the road will take you to the dam - views to die for so I am told

brenda
Resident

Postby brenda » Sun Mar 19, 2006 3:32 pm

Lake Vinuela is your nearest lake - only 20 minutes drive from Rincon de la Victoria and has stunning scenery. Try coffee or lunch at the 2 lakeside restaurants El pantano and La Camping.

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Sun Mar 19, 2006 4:58 pm

Thanks Brenda. We have been to lake Vinuela several times. The lakes i am after are the ones mentioned by Keddyboy. I may try the others as mentioned by oliveview01 some other time as well.

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Fri Apr 14, 2006 10:53 am

Good directions keddy. We went twice. I think the bar may have changed its name to bar el mesa if we were at the right place. Very busy at the lakes and the top of the mountain near the bar was full of tourists. It must be on some tourist maps to have been so busy because you would never find that by chance.

Well worth a visit and the gorge at el chorro is fantastic.

Bugsbunny
Resident

Postby Bugsbunny » Wed May 10, 2006 9:41 pm

As a frequent visitor to Torremolinos (but sadly not resident although my father is), can anyone tell me if there are any organised coach trips to the lakes? I went many years ago when dad still had a car and would love to visit again - but no car this time....

curatokid
Resident

Postby curatokid » Thu May 11, 2006 12:36 am

Dont know of any organized trips but you can get to El Chorro on the train from Malaga.

country boy
Andalucia Guru

Postby country boy » Thu May 11, 2006 10:12 am

curatokid wrote:Dont know of any organized trips but you can get to El Chorro on the train from Malaga.
I'm sorry but you can't no trains stop at El Chorro. Your info is incorrect! The nearest station is Alora and it is a long hike from there :lol:

country boy
Andalucia Guru

Postby country boy » Thu May 11, 2006 10:20 am

emgin wrote:As a frequent visitor to Torremolinos (but sadly not resident although my father is), can anyone tell me if there are any organised coach trips to the lakes? I went many years ago when dad still had a car and would love to visit again - but no car this time....
:arrow: Next time you're in Torremolinos visit : Europa 21 Travel Service, in Calle Carmen Montes No.4, Local 2. They do rail and coach trips to the lakes and gorge :)
Telef: 667 413 359