Hotels for the Disabled

Looking for information on a place in Andalucia or simply asking for advice on somewhere to visit? Post here and someone out there may know the answer.
metalmonkey
Resident

Hotels for the Disabled

Postby metalmonkey » Mon Apr 24, 2006 9:09 am

Hi

does anyone know the name or web site address for the hotel for the disabled featured on one of the Living in the Sun programmes. It was run by a young couple and was fairly new?

many thanks
If you're not living on the edge you're taking up too much room

frank
Andalucia Guru

Postby frank » Mon Apr 24, 2006 9:28 am

Las Piedras - disabled holidays
Pilarejo 5, Alcaucin, Malaga 29711
Tel: 00 34 952 033 100
Email: [email protected]
www.laspiedras.co.uk
Regards, Frank

No soy residente, simplemente un turista, ¿qué sé yo?

silver
Andalucia Guru

Postby silver » Mon Apr 24, 2006 12:08 pm

http://www.andalucia.com/accommodation/ ... dation.htm
has info on accommodation for the disabled.
No muerdes la mano que te da de comer.

frank
Andalucia Guru

Postby frank » Sun Apr 30, 2006 1:57 pm

Some friends of ours have booked a flight to Málaga for 28 June, for a week.
The husband suffers from muscular dystrophy, and finds it very difficult to walk anywhere, and steps are completely out. They are looking for suitable accommodation for that week, and it's proving quite difficult to find anything.
I realise it's a long shot, but apart from the links already given, has anyone any info that might prove useful? They are beginning to despair that they might not find anything. Anything within 2 hours driving of the airport would be considered.
Thanks
Regards, Frank

silver
Andalucia Guru

Postby silver » Mon May 01, 2006 10:30 am

You should advise your friends to holiday in Wales, as Spain is not very wheelchair friendly.... yet. :oops:

frank
Andalucia Guru

Postby frank » Mon May 01, 2006 11:30 am

silver wrote:You should advise your friends to holiday in Wales, as Spain is not very wheelchair friendly.... yet. :oops:
Thanks for your valuable contribution. He's well aware of the situation in Spain, having holidayed there many times, including a recent stay in Barcelona. He's also managed a two week spell at a language school with me, and although it is not easy (it's blo0dy difficult!) I'm glad he hasn't adopted your defeatist attitude of staying home, of giving up in fact! It hasn't stopped him holidaying in the Bahamas or Lebanon, but being a teacher of Spanish, he chooses to spend a few trips a year in Spain. His trips are normally well planned in advance, but on this occasion they saw some cheap flights and thought they'd have no problems booking something. However, it's turning out to be quite difficult, so I'm doing my best to help them locate some accommodation. I'll pass on your sage advice though, it might give them a laugh!
Regards, Frank

silver
Andalucia Guru

Postby silver » Mon May 01, 2006 5:42 pm

Spain is not very wheelchair friendly.... yet
I was only being frank, frank if it does give them a laugh then that's great.
The world wide web has many pages that have offers for the disabled, a google search with "minusvalidos hotel Andalucia" will produce better results than a post on this forum.

frank
Andalucia Guru

Postby frank » Mon May 01, 2006 6:20 pm

silver wrote: The world wide web has many pages that have offers for the disabled, a google search with "minusvalidos hotel Andalucia" will produce better results than a post on this forum.
Hey! That's a brilliant idea! That had never occurred to us! :lol: This is just one of many lines of enquiry, both of us have arranged all our holidays via the internet for many years, so have sufficient savvy to know how to navigate the net. As I said, he's also a Spanish teacher, so well aware of how to search in Spanish. All the usual "alojamiento apto para minusválidos" etc has been tried, plus various other permutations.
But you're wrong again, this enquiry has produced a very good possibility, kindly sent to me by private mail, so I have passed that on to them. But don't be deterred, keep the good ideas coming!

Frank
Regards, Frank