Getting to Ronda from Marbella

Looking for information on a place in Andalucia or simply asking for advice on somewhere to visit? Post here and someone out there may know the answer.
SunnyD

Getting to Ronda from Marbella

Postby SunnyD » Fri May 26, 2006 11:07 am

I am staying just outside of Marbella for a week during July and would like to visit Ronda. I will have a hire car and will probably drive but I am also thinking about taking a train. Can anyone give me an idea of how long it would take by car and what the roads are like and also if there is a train service from either Marbella or Malaga.

Thanks

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Fri May 26, 2006 11:16 am

There is no train from marbella to Ronda (or to anywhere). Takes around 45mins approx by car to Ronda. they do a good coach trip from the coast which takes you down the coast (san roque??) where you take the train and it is a very scenic route to ronda then return by bus to the coast.

If you go by train from málaga there will not be much time in ronda as you will have to do the journey from marbella first. Best to drive.

safeashouses
Resident

Postby safeashouses » Fri May 26, 2006 4:58 pm

There are coach trips to Ronda with various pick-up points along the coast. You should be able to pick up booking information from travel agents and/or tourist advice centres where you are staying.

The train ride to Ronda from San Roque (near La Linea/Gibraltar) is a lovely way to travel though.

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Sun May 28, 2006 1:04 pm

I did the guided coach trip from Marbella the first time. Going over the route in a coach was good for me to get an idea of the terrain I would later be driving. The information from the guide was certainly worth having as well. Subsequent visits to Ronda have been by car. If you drive from Marbella and San Pedro you should arrive outside the old city wall near the old gate. Free parking is usually to be found around the square there (but probably not in July/August).

Not done the train. I always think that if I'm going to drive to Malaga or further south in order to GET the train then I may as well just drive to Ronda. Whatever way you choose - you'll love Ronda. Have fun!