Cockatoo and cats

Looking for information on a place in Andalucia or simply asking for advice on somewhere to visit? Post here and someone out there may know the answer.
pirate
Andalucia.com Amigo

Cockatoo and cats

Postby pirate » Mon Jul 03, 2006 1:19 am

Hi,
we have purchased in Spain and are soon to be moving permanently, however, We have two cats that will need pet passports but whats the situation on taking our Cockatoo across with us, he is micro chipped but there is a bird flu scare about isn`t there?

Does any body know whats required and if it`s ok to transport them,

thanks....great helpful site by the way

pirate
Andalucia.com Amigo

Parrots

Postby pirate » Mon Jul 03, 2006 1:23 am

Sorry the beep is a type of parrot a C... A too

Shukran
Resident

Postby Shukran » Mon Jul 03, 2006 3:08 pm

Sorry, but you've got to laugh at the censors... :lol: :lol: :lol:
Since I gave up hope I feel much better!

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Mon Jul 03, 2006 5:50 pm

I am Image-a-hoop that I have managed to beat them!! :D

Shukran
Resident

Postby Shukran » Mon Jul 03, 2006 7:38 pm

They won't like it ...but I think it was clever Beachcomber. :lol:
Since I gave up hope I feel much better!

andalucia
Site Admin

Postby andalucia » Mon Jul 03, 2006 8:05 pm

We are aware that the word censor is far from perfect, but still believe it is a useful and necessary measure. I'm sure we would receive many more complaints if there were nothing at all to moderate the use of offensive language. We would appreciate it if our regular users didn't set a trend in trying to "beat" the censor.

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Mon Jul 03, 2006 9:36 pm

Sorry Andalucía, couldn't resist. I promise I won't do it again. :oops:

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Mon Jul 03, 2006 10:06 pm

Its all over my head anyway, can't even post a photo or a link :?

pirate
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby pirate » Mon Jul 03, 2006 10:43 pm

Mmmmm all very interesting indeed BUT.........anybody know about takeing a parrot over please.

We would hate to leave him behind, dont think we could, and he`ll probably out live us

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Mon Jul 03, 2006 11:57 pm

Sorry for hijacking your thread, Pirate.

Were you hoping to drive over with him or fly him over? You may be able to get some information here if no-one else is able to help:

http://www.airpets.com/

juliesteve&joe
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby juliesteve&joe » Tue Jul 04, 2006 9:16 am

Hi Pirate,

"Google" DEFRA, and the website will come up. you need to email these and they will tell you what to do. We have had the same problem with a tortoise. We got a form from Defra, and a vet has to see the animal 2 days before leaving the UK to certify all is well. Thevet gets some more forms to fill in and you need to take them with you when you travel. i dont know if it is the same with the bird but we have to travel with the tortoise- no handing him over to anyone else. If you dont find what you are looking for, PM me and I will give you the email address of the lady who helped me form defra.
Good luck

spanish hopes

Postby spanish hopes » Tue Jul 04, 2006 11:02 am

Were you hoping to drive over with him or fly him over?
I thought you promised to be serious beach. :lol: :lol: :lol:

mickhick

Postby mickhick » Tue Jul 04, 2006 4:59 pm

Pirate - we brought 2 "Beep"atoos and 3 Aussie parrots over in 2004. We got the forms from Defra and the birds were then seen by a Defra recognised vet. There are time limits involved and we were given seperate forms for the French and Spanish customs. Needless to say no-one asked to see the forms despite the Discovery having three large bird cages in the back!!

pirate
Andalucia.com Amigo

parrots

Postby pirate » Tue Jul 04, 2006 5:08 pm

Ah thats better i knew you`d come up trumps thanks everyone, and yes we think we`ll probaby purchase a caravette to travel over since we can stay with the pets.
Thanks again everyone

Graye
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Graye » Wed Jul 05, 2006 2:50 pm

I have a friend who brought two parrots over. I'm going to visit her this afternoon so I'll ask her what she had to do to import them.

Graye
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Graye » Wed Jul 05, 2006 6:38 pm

This is the info I got this afternoon from the friend who brought two parrots from the UK. She said she got various bits of paperwork from Defra, it's all obtainable on their website. She then had to have the parrots checked over by the vet and the paperwork stamped - she seems to think this had to be about 3 days before they travelled. There was nothing in the way of injections etc. She had her animals (three dogs as well) brought over by a company handling pet exports and they were flown into Malaga freight airport direct from kennels, where she was able to pick them up.
She did comment that this was over three years ago and things might be different with bird flu etc but if you just look on Google for the Defra site there should be all the info you need on there.

pirate
Andalucia.com Amigo

Parrots

Postby pirate » Thu Jul 06, 2006 11:16 am

Thanks very much Grey very kind of you, I will do some research. It`s the bird flu thats worrying us

mickhick

Postby mickhick » Fri Jul 07, 2006 6:26 pm

Pirate, not sure how it now works coming to Spain but when (in a moment of insanity) I enquired about returning to the UK with the birds (post-bird flu), part of the advice from Defra was:

IM 98A General questions and answers on importing pet birds.

http://www.defra.gov.uk/corporate/regul ... /im98a.pdf

Quarantine takes place in the owners home on condition that there are no other birds present in/on the premises before the arrival of the imported bird. Quarantine takes up to 35 days with a minimum of two veterinary visits in this period. The Animal health office will inform you of the veterinary officers in the area permitted to do vet checks on birds. There are costs involved for these visits which depend on individual vets. The local animal health office will inform of the charges

anyroads
Andalucia Guru

Postby anyroads » Fri Jul 07, 2006 10:56 pm

Does your parrot support *beep*, Pirate ? sorry,"the gunners" if so I bet he was as sick as a parrot when they lost the Champions League Final, but isn't Henry getting his revenge on all those Barcelona players he has come across in the World Cup !

mijasgolf
Andalucia.com Amigo

Transporting Birds To Spain

Postby mijasgolf » Sun May 06, 2007 10:44 am

All pets need to have a pet passport.
If travelling through france they will need one in french and one in spanish
http://www.freewebs.com/parrotsuk