THE CHANGING FACE OF SPAIN

Looking for information on a place in Andalucia or simply asking for advice on somewhere to visit? Post here and someone out there may know the answer.
BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Wed Jan 03, 2007 12:44 pm

My Wife and I were driving leisurely through the countryside the other day.it was a very quiet ´backwater`of a track rather than a road, and we marvelled at the the scenery as it appeared so untouched, probably as it was many hundreds of years ago....Then we came across an elderly Goatherd, sat at the side of the track, surrounded by his herd and his faithfull dogs, he waved and beamed a huge toothless smile at us.....then turned away and continued his conversation on his state of the art`mobile phone.......What a let down ! !.....particularly as my mobile housebrick phone wasn´t even showing coverage.........
So, is there any untouched original Spain out there ?....I wonder...... :wink:

keddyboy
Resident

Postby keddyboy » Thu Jan 04, 2007 6:30 pm

Loads, the fun is in looking!!
Keddyboy
Never do today what you can leave until tomorrow.

gavilan
Andalucia Guru

Postby gavilan » Fri Jan 05, 2007 10:07 am

depends on what you mean by 'untouched original Spain' ... yesterday I found the old Roman bridge near the source of the Rio Bermuza ... not exactly on the 'tourist trail' ... more like hidden in the hills and with an almost inaccessible path ... but as keddyboy said the fun is in the finding ... and if you prefer an easier way of knowing what it used to be like ... read 'Pueblo' by Ronald Fraser about life in a village near Malaga after the Civil War and 'Travellers in Spain' by David Mitchell - fascinating what people experienced about the country from 1700s onwards ... and then you will be grateful for your flea-free beds, central heating, bandit-free tarmac roads, telephone and internet connection, etc etc!

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Fri Jan 05, 2007 11:48 am

Gavilan, Thank you for your information, I have read ´Travellers in Spain, but not Pueblo, so I will try and find a copy...I have travelled and lived in Spain for quite a long time, but not in Andalucia..However I did walk from Gib. to Lisbon, in the 1960´s, and can relate to the early travellers tales.The ´walk`took me a few weeks, and the reasons behind my trek is the subject of a book that I am at present working on...I am also very interested in all Roman connections, so would be really interested to hear from anyone with information on this subject..Many years ago, before metal detecting was banned in Spain, I did manage to recover many Roman and earlier coins, even a Roman iron plough from the campo..I did pass them on to museums, and hope that they are being displayed.....My Wife and I did enjoy many long hours with our detectors, along with my good mate Ted, who did find the most valuable single item ever found in the UK.....Sorry I´m rambling, ....for anyone interested in the Spanish Civil War, I can recommend´The Spanish Pimpernel , by C.E. Lucas Phillips and ´Crusade in Spain, by Jason Gurney.....Thanks again... :D ..

lis48
Resident

Postby lis48 » Fri Jan 05, 2007 12:12 pm

Many years ago, before metal detecting was banned in Spain
Is it still banned? Most mornings at low tide I watch two or three Spanish men scour the beach next to our house with their machines and they seem to find a lot. Perhaps more coins dropped by sun bathers though they are there in winter as well..........I have often thought it might be a good source of income for me.

Shukran
Resident

Postby Shukran » Fri Jan 05, 2007 12:30 pm

I didn't know it was banned in Spain either. We're just waiting to get our metal detector out of store when (?) we finally move and was looking forward to a day out with it now and again. That's a pity. :(
Since I gave up hope I feel much better!

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Fri Jan 05, 2007 2:52 pm

With regard to Metal detecting, unfortunately detecting in Spain was banned in 1991, if I remember correctly..I know that there are still a lot of people out there using them, but if you are caught on the campo, you run the risk of having your detector confiscated, and maybe a fine and probably then shot at dawn!...Beach detecting is a ´grey area`( or golden depending on where you live ! ), I still do go to the beach now and then, to keep my hand in....It is unlikely that the police will bother you, more likely that you will be told by the local Spanish detectorist that it is his patch, and you should clear off, I just smile at them and carry on.....Officially you are not supposed to have a detector in Spain, unless you have imported it legally..However metal detecting clubs from the Uk and Northern Europe do visit quite often, without any major problems..As a point of interest my Wife and I , for many years spent 2 hours every evening detecting on the beach, and yes you guessed right , it was Benidorm beach...Great exercise and 8 hours per week of detecting left us with an average of 10 pound per hour in spendable currency , plus 2 gold items and masses of silver and costume jewellery each week....Portugal is more flexible and France is ok with beach detecting...When I did work the campo, I found large amounts of Spanish Civil War artefacts, including live ammunition, which I handed in..The best time to work the beaches is early evening, never go near when people are sun bathing etc, and always leave it neat and tidy, filling in all the holes etc....Anyway happy Hunting...if you dare.....

flan_taster
Resident

Postby flan_taster » Fri Jan 05, 2007 4:19 pm

looks like someone has tried to start a Federation of Metal Detectors web forum/site etc in Spain: www.feeada.org
Also there is apparently the 1991 Law described on this page if someone cares to read through it.
http://estrecho.indymedia.org/newswire/ ... /index.php

Campo Kenny

Postby Campo Kenny » Fri Jan 05, 2007 7:00 pm

Would metal detecting on your own land be classed as illegal? I've got one which I've never used here in UK and was thinking of taking it across for a dabble. Wouldn't bother if I thought some nosey neighbour with binoculars may be watching and ready to inform boys in green :cry:
Kenny

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Fri Jan 05, 2007 8:57 pm

Technically you would be breaking the law, but that wouldn´t put me off.. The law was put in place to protect ancient sites, I do recall a case some years ago ,in Calpe, Costa Blanca, where a detectorist had almost wiped out a very ancient site, in fact it took a very large van to remove the artefacts from his house.....It did have a happy ending when he had many of the items returned to him, and I believe he did actually continue detecting on behalf of the museums..However he was a very knowlegable chap, with a lot of experience....There are 2 excellent metal detecting magazines available in the UK, The Searcher and Treasure Hunting, available at most bigger newsagents.( very interesting reading, even if you don´t take up the hobby). Incidentally, I started detecting with an ex-army mine detector, in 1969, what a beast it was..!!!!....Anyway if any of you find any buried treasure, I hope that you will buy me a drink ! :lol:

gavilan
Andalucia Guru

Postby gavilan » Sat Jan 06, 2007 9:52 am

Benidorm wrote 'I am also very interested in all Roman connections' ... is this because of the possibility of finding Roman coins, medals etc?

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Sat Jan 06, 2007 10:51 am

My interest in anything Roman goes back long before my coin collecting, and I have never detected near or on a known Roman site.I was always´top of the class`at history and geography, but bottom of the class at most other subjects...I started my first collection at the age of 6, which I still have, and I visit Museums at every chance I get..I don´t go detecting very often now, and find that I can buy alot of items on Ebay, at very reasonable prices..Spain ,has only in the recent years, started to preserve their history, and are now doing an excellent job,there are many small museums springing up everywhere..For example..Almuñecar and Salobrena, both have museums in or near their castles, well worth a visit...If anyone has come across any other small museums please let me know...I have ´by the way`,over many years, donated many items to museums and schools..I know that many people have little or no interest in history, a great pity....History has a habit of repeating itself, pity some of the politicians don´t take a closer look at it.... :wink:

citymike
Andalucia.com Amigo

Re: THE CHANGING FACE OF SPAIN

Postby citymike » Tue Jan 09, 2007 11:55 am

BENIDORM wrote: So, is there any untouched original Spain out there ?....I wonder...... :wink:
I came across some shepards in Spain once. They were drunk, their shirts sweat stained to a remarkable degree and their teeth rotten. They were surrounded by British people, armed with a Michael Thomas CD, who fawned over them. The set meal cost 9 euros

country boy
Andalucia Guru

Postby country boy » Tue Jan 09, 2007 10:07 pm

:D Our local Goatherd who grazes our land asked me if I wanted a Turkey for Christmas....too true I said. Christmas morning he arrives on his moped with a sack..."Pavo para ti " he intoned. He opened the sack and out she popped ...Senorita Pavo...we christened her Michelmousse and she lives to this day...don'tcha love it!

Alpujarra
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Alpujarra » Tue Jan 09, 2007 10:15 pm

Mike,

You have almost painted a picture of everyday life up here in the Alpujarras in one paragraph.

I just have to correct you on a couple of points though. The set meal costs 8 Euros and the British are not armed with Micheal Thomas CD's, but with knives, with which they stab each other in the back.

An often practiced ritual among the Brits in these parts, so I am told.......

citymike
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby citymike » Sat Jan 13, 2007 12:10 pm

I do feel that most of the people who emigrate to Spain are doing the British a favour.

Shukran
Resident

Postby Shukran » Sat Jan 13, 2007 2:50 pm

Just the kind of comment we've come to expect from you citymike - try engaging brain before engaging gob. Ooops, sorry - I forget you're a member of the British government aren't you? Say no more. :roll:
Since I gave up hope I feel much better!

ladytherese

Re: THE CHANGING FACE OF SPAIN

Postby ladytherese » Tue Mar 27, 2007 11:34 am

BENIDORM wrote:My Wife and I were driving leisurely through the countryside the other day.it was a very quiet ´backwater`of a track rather than a road, and we marvelled at the the scenery as it appeared so untouched, probably as it was many hundreds of years ago....Then we came across an elderly Goatherd, sat at the side of the track, surrounded by his herd and his faithfull dogs, he waved and beamed a huge toothless smile at us.....then turned away and continued his conversation on his state of the art`mobile phone.......What a let down ! !.....particularly as my mobile housebrick phone wasn´t even showing coverage.........
So, is there any untouched original Spain out there ?....I wonder...... :wink:
Such a funny story!
I don't think you still find any "untouched Spain" today. The world changes, people changes. Everybody knows that. You even change, right? What you will find today are modern version of yesterday.

silver
Andalucia Guru

Postby silver » Tue Mar 27, 2007 12:03 pm

So, is there any untouched original Spain out there ?....I wonder.....
Yeh..but not in Andalucia. (there is..but I´m not telling where..don´t want to spoil it do we)
citymike
I do feel that most of the people who emigrate to Spain are doing the British a favour.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
No muerdes la mano que te da de comer.

Dealer
Resident

Postby Dealer » Tue Mar 27, 2007 12:47 pm

citymike wrote:I do feel that most of the people who emigrate to Spain are doing the British a favour.
So you have been to Duquesa as well......... :lol: :lol:
"A soul afraid of dying will never live"