English clicks

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
HKM
Resident

English clicks

Postby HKM » Mon Jun 18, 2007 6:02 pm

Does your Town have one?

Where unless you drink everynight in the English bar, until you can't stand up,

Avoid paying into the system at all costs,

When any ill health arises books flights back to the UK,

Love putting people down, especially people who are doing well and have made a life for themselves in Spain,

Play chinese whispers,

Never go to the local fiestas/feria instead stay in English bar,

But all come to Spain for the Spanish way of life!!

Can you tell I am not in the click but feel my ears burning everytime I walk past them??

Hkm

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Mon Jun 18, 2007 6:16 pm

Just move to a place where there aren't any english bars..sorted.

Faire d'Income
Resident

Postby Faire d'Income » Mon Jun 18, 2007 6:20 pm

A what? :?:

Sandra
Tourist

Postby Sandra » Mon Jun 18, 2007 7:04 pm

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Mon Jun 18, 2007 7:18 pm

Clicks - pr*cks , I thought it was rhyming slang! If it is there are now a lot of those in my local town as well.

Retro P
Resident

Postby Retro P » Mon Jun 18, 2007 7:49 pm

HKM, so, you live in Calahonda then :lol:
Ah! the full english!!

HKM
Resident

English

Postby HKM » Mon Jun 18, 2007 8:37 pm

Ok, Ok sorry about the spelling,

No not Calahonda,

And something I forgot to add,,, they never have any money.....for the important things, kids lunch is a family size bag of crisps. And the favourite saying is we must all support each other, the English must stick together.. Unless of course you are not in the gang...

Off to the English pub now son in bed he will be ok until I come back about 2am..

*the above is a joke by the way*

jane grant

Postby jane grant » Tue Jun 19, 2007 8:05 am

You also forgot to add the bits about fighting and arguing in the streets, running up debts at the local shops and failing to learn a word of spanish! Oh and complaining bitterly that Brit 'builders' have ripped them off whilst wondering why the spanish don't want to have anything to do with them? Do you ever wonder who is normal?

mhic
Andalucia Guru

Postby mhic » Tue Jun 19, 2007 8:51 am

You forgot to add that they will do their best to rip off all and sundry or cause as many problems for their compatriots as possible.

Mhic.

laclotte
Resident

Re: English clicks

Postby laclotte » Tue Jun 19, 2007 8:58 am

HKM wrote:Does your Town have one?
Very luckily NO ........and I expect it to remains so :twisted:
- You don't get harmony when everybody sings the same note -

Dealer
Resident

Postby Dealer » Tue Jun 19, 2007 9:03 am

And on the other foot imagine if a Spanish politician said similar to this:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/p ... 738927.stm

That would close down Duquesa :lol: :lol:
"A soul afraid of dying will never live"

rymanskid
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby rymanskid » Tue Jun 19, 2007 10:22 am

HKM you missed one ......... look at the Spanish food and say "cant eat that foreign muck "
Better flat broke in first class then hard up in second class

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Tue Jun 19, 2007 11:03 am

I was arguing with my Spanish teacher the other day that schools being "multi-lingual" is a bad thing - partly as it is not true, only covering English and Spanish castillian whereas there are hundreds of languages spoken in the world, and mostly because it will speed the erosion of the Spanish identity. There may be a case for having explanatory documents or websites about government forms such as taxation submissions available in English, as in any language these are written in almost incomprehensible 'bureaucratese', and for self-interest of the owners leaflets aimed at tourists should be accessible to the widest audience, but there should be a policy of keeping Spain Spanish.
Ruth Kelly - well said!
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

kirmas
Tourist

Postby kirmas » Tue Jun 19, 2007 12:17 pm

i am part of a what you called a so called 'click' although it is not the way you make it sound. We welcome all holiday makers into our bar and really try and make them feel welcome and enjoy there holiday. It is nice as it is like being part of one big family.

Campo Kenny

Postby Campo Kenny » Tue Jun 19, 2007 12:25 pm

Good point kirmas, and just reinstates "each to his own"
I avoid clubs, cliques etc. like the plague in England and also in Spain.
We tend to stay fairly aloof (in the nicest possible way) as I firmly believe familiarity does breed contempt.
If a guy runs a successful bar and it's frequented by English having a good time then all power to him.....where's the problem?
If you don't want to be part of a clique it's easy.............don't join in, but there's nothing stopping you enjoying a nice drink in that bar if you feel like.
Works for us anyway :?

Kenny

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Tue Jun 19, 2007 12:32 pm

Inland each clique has a queen B. First question to any expat newcomers is "What do you/did you do?" Your answer permanently postions you in the expat community social order. If you were higher then you will be denigrated till you are lower. If you were lower well that is OK.

olive

MrsP
Resident

Postby MrsP » Tue Jun 19, 2007 12:32 pm

We live in a small spanish village and there are only a few english around. I suppose we are a clique :?: but we only meet up on Sundays to say hello to each other but we meet in the little spanish bar here, speak spanish to the locals who all greet us with affection, we eat spanish tapas and drink spanish beer. If anyone opened a Brit bar here no-one would use it because we want to be part of Spanish life.
That's not to say we only use the bar on a Sunday but most of the time it's not got any english people in it during the week, but we don't mind that.
If I was holidaying in another country I still wouldn't use a Brit bar, I like to enjoy the culture but some people don't feel comfortable with this.
Each to their own.
Chris

Campo Kenny

Postby Campo Kenny » Tue Jun 19, 2007 12:43 pm

To be honest what I find is that some of the ex.pats treat their new life over there as they would an internet forum. i.e. they can tell you anything as there is no way of proving other. I only base this on the fact that so far we've met 107 retired ex police chief inspectors on"fantasic" pensions, 68 ex airline pilots, 47 ex pro footballers and about 30 ex bosses of ICI and similar.............nobody has yet admitted to being a lowly plumber or something :wink:

Kenny

Oh me? I'm an ex NASA astronaut :wink: :shock:

laclotte
Resident

Postby laclotte » Tue Jun 19, 2007 12:59 pm

I am disappointed Kenny - I thought you were a submarine captain. But notice - I did 'suspect' that you had something to do with the military :!: :!:
I had expected to near your name mentioned on the 'infamous' birthday list. No doubt you were there but not under your alias!!
Me....I am that Alpine blond, bombshell :lol: not my description but that of one forum member :!: I always remain modest!! .........however maybe he is correct :wink:
As I and OH belong to different nationalities we have never felt 'inclined' to join any type of expat community.....luckily :roll:
- You don't get harmony when everybody sings the same note -

hillybilly
Andalucia Guru

Postby hillybilly » Tue Jun 19, 2007 1:14 pm

If there is an expat clique round here I'm obviously a social outcast cos I'm blissfully unaware of it!
laclotte wrote:As I and OH belong to different nationalities we have never felt 'inclined' to join any type of expat community.....luckily :roll:
Apart from this one eh? :wink: