Childrens books in Spain

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
Sol Searcher
Andalucia.com Amigo

Childrens books in Spain

Postby Sol Searcher » Sun Sep 09, 2007 7:42 am

Hi all, thanks to replies so far. We will be moving to Andalucia very soon but I sell children's books here in the UK, visiting toddler groups, schools and home parties. Would this work well in Spain?

pilgrim
Andalucia.com Amigo

Childrens Books

Postby pilgrim » Sun Sep 09, 2007 9:03 am

Depends where your are and how many families there are. Usborne Books are over here on the Costa deL Sol and here in Seville.

Laslomas
Resident

Postby Laslomas » Sun Sep 09, 2007 9:23 am

I assume you currently sell books in the English language - is this what you are hoping to do in Spain, or try to gain the Spanish market too? If you could find a company where you could sell books in both languages it would be so much better for you. To deal only with the Ex-pat market you would need to travel far and wide to find enough customers to keep you going, (in my opinion). Good Luck.

angelmouse
Andalucia.com Amigo

English books in Spain

Postby angelmouse » Sun Sep 09, 2007 10:23 am

I think that most of the International schools already have a magazine/book club and Bookworld Espana comes into the schools a few times a year too. However this is around Marbella. I don't know what other areas in Spain have organised.

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Mon Sep 10, 2007 6:28 pm

Bookworld Espana go to pretty much all the international schools in Spain a couple of times a year with their book fairs.
Don't worry about what people think, they don't do it very often

"Acquiring a dog may be the only opportunity a human ever has to choose a relative," Mordecai Siegal 1935-2010.

Sol Searcher
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Sol Searcher » Wed Sep 12, 2007 7:23 pm

Thanks once again to all you helpful people, looks like I've got my work cut out then but its worth a go! My books are Usborne too so if anyone has any leads or contacts to get me started please let me know! The books are in English but available in Spanish too! Ive already been testing out the My 1st picture dictionary in Spanish :)

pilgrim
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby pilgrim » Wed Sep 12, 2007 8:33 pm

If your books are Usborne I am sure you will find info on thier Web Site there is a lady who deals with Spain, can't remember her name, if you have no luck I wiil ask my team leader here. I have heard that there is fierce competion with regards to allocation on the Costa del Sol and as we are in Spain , well lets just say things are not quite the same :o Good Luck

Sol Searcher
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Sol Searcher » Wed Sep 12, 2007 8:56 pm

Yes I will look into that on the web, do you deal with books too?

pilgrim
Andalucia.com Amigo

Books

Postby pilgrim » Thu Sep 13, 2007 3:32 pm

Have sent you a pm

lola2
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby lola2 » Fri Sep 14, 2007 8:55 pm

I also sell Usborne Books over here. If you tell them you are moving to Spain I am sure they will put you in touch with someone in the area or even better there may not be anyone in your area so you will do well. They are very popular I dont even have to try to sell mine I just hand the catalogues to my friends and get lots of orders.
Is Dyslexia a problem for you? If so pm me.

Cassandra
Resident

Postby Cassandra » Fri Sep 14, 2007 9:09 pm

They are now selling Usborne books in Carrefour in Almeria so there is obviously a market for them here. They are selling the bilingual ones, and just a small selection, as part of a small English language book section. This is something new for them, the 'Ingles' section didn't exist in July, and hopefully will lead to a bigger choice, maybe even Tesco/Asda style discounts if it proves popular enough :D